Opinion AFL 2024 Round 5 - Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - The Crows win (with apologies to my Carlton friends). Can't imagine how frustrating it must have been as an Adelaide supporter over the first 4 rounds watching your team move away from everything they did well last year. They're not 'back' yet but it was a big step in the right direction. Honourable mention to the Eagles chalking up a win as well!

Learnt - Every side this year has chinks in the armour, even those at the top of premiership favouritism.

Hated - The injuries in the Giants-Saints game. Was an exciting finish but it became real last-man-standing stuff at the end.

liked: essendon’s trouncing of the bulldogs, was a great watch! also enjoyed seeing the sub’s midfield firing on all cylinders when they dismantled every element of the hawks team on saturday night.
learnt: harley reid is the real deal. he’s quick & deadly out of the guts, future star in the making. the suns midfield will also only get better & better, noah anderson & matt rowell are genuine weapons.
hated: too many injuries throughout the weekend, fingers crossed all the players are alright

Liked - Adelaide winning. "flaggers" fans needed a humbling as bad as the Crows needed to show something. And they did.

Learnt - Saw glimpses today of what Sheezel forward of centre looks like. Lowered eyes with bullet passes to teammates leading to goals.

Hated - The continued over-use of the score review. Crows v Swans has made goal umpires collectively gun shy to make a call.

Hated: 9-20 free kick count.

AFL house maintaining the rage against the Giants with their umpiring mandate, it seems.

Liked - Saturday's games - Gold Coast playing a lot better under their new coach, the other games with the crowds going nuts in the last 10 or so minutes. Three games on the one day with 1,2 and 3 point winning margins is probably unique.

Learnt - there'll be unpredictable results for a while with so many class players injured.

Hated - over-reliance on score reviews. For all the AFL's talk of speeding the game up, having the current score review system debacle is pure hypocrisy. Kelli Underwood and Dwayne Russell. Enough has been said about the standard of commentary of those two. Why Fox continues to employ them baffles me. Must come cheap. Fox calling interstate games remotely.

Let cats fans know what it’s like to win a 2024 free kick count, can you?

#i#itsaconspiracy

What are you disagreeing with Back One Out

The cats are 0-5 in free kick counts this year. I’m just curious as to why the giants are so targeted yet there’s a team who hasn’t won one yet, and the giants have.
I don’t think the cats are targeted and you don’t hear me complaining.
This myth has been debunked completely and the purveyor continues to pursue it with no basis

What are you disagreeing with Back One Out

The cats are 0-5 in free kick counts this year. I’m just curious as to why the giants are so targeted yet there’s a team who hasn’t won one yet, and the giants have.
I don’t think the cats are targeted and you don’t hear me complaining.
This myth has been debunked completely and the purveyor continues to pursue it with no basis

1. You have a knack for making everything about Geelong. Doesn't matter how tenuous the link is, you'll find a way to change the topic towards the Cats. You never miss an opportunity. I've noted this before and it drew your ire. Whatever. It's just funny to me.

2a. Geelong lost the free kick count 20-21 to Hawthorn, but the umpires had a direct hand in 7 of your 14 goals to 3/4 time. Some highly dubious free kicks. Some just plain wrong. Also very inconsistent with the repeated non-decisions they made for Geelong's infringements. There seemed to be 2 sets of rules for each team.

2b. Early in the second quarter, the Hawks received about 7 free kicks in succession when the game was in a temporary stalemate, with the ball locked inside our Defensive 50 for about 10 minutes. These free kicks had zero impact on the game, but they helped to balance the ledger of frees for/against.

2c. One of the hallmarks of Geelong under Chris Scott is the way they've always pushed the limits of the rules and mostly gotten away with it. Blocks, holds, arm chops, pushes in the back... Almost daring the umpires to penalise them. If the umps did their job, the Cats would have a 15-33 free kick count in most games. Yet they always seem to be level. I'm not whining, by the way. It's good coaching by Scott. He's correctly deduced that umpires are weak-arsed clowns. He is happy for his defenders to give away the occasional free, if it means they're able to consistently dominate their opponents by working together with sly, underhanded tactics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. You have a knack for making everything about Geelong. Doesn't matter how tenuous the link is, you'll find a way to change the topic towards the Cats. You never miss an opportunity. I've noted this before and it drew your ire. Whatever. It's just funny to me.

2a. Geelong lost the free kick count 20-21 to Hawthorn, but the umpires had a direct hand in 7 of your 14 goals to 3/4 time. Some highly dubious free kicks. Some just plain wrong. Also very inconsistent with the repeated non-decisions they made for Geelong's infringements. There seemed to be 2 sets of rules for each team.

2b. Early in the second quarter, the Hawks received about 7 free kicks in succession when the game was in a temporary stalemate, with the ball locked inside our Defensive 50 for about 10 minutes. These free kicks had zero impact on the game, but they helped to balance the ledger of frees for/against.

2c. One of the hallmarks of Geelong under Chris Scott is the way they've always pushed the limits of the rules and mostly gotten away with it. Blocks, holds, arm chops, pushes in the back... Almost daring the umpires to penalise them. If the umps did their job, the Cats would have a 15-33 free kick count in most games. Yet they always seem to be level. I'm not whining, by the way. It's good coaching by Scott. He's correctly deduced that umpires are weak-arsed clowns. He is happy for his defenders to give away the occasional free, if it means they're able to consistently dominate their opponents by working together with sly, underhanded tactics.
This is a MASSIVE rant about the Geelong/Hawthorn umpiring a week later, in a round 5 liked/learned/hated thread.

Congrats, but time to let it go now.

Liked:
Finally winning but, importantly, doing so in a close one on the road - two things we've been shit at for a long time.
The Eagles backing up last week's effort and getting a win.

Learnt:
Changing up the midfield mix and taking the game on can yield a positive result. Crazy I know.

Hated:
Injuries in the Giants-Saints game, but especially Taylor's.
Liberatore's collapse and Bevo's subsequent comments.

This is a MASSIVE rant about the Geelong/Hawthorn umpiring a week later, in a round 5 liked/learned/hated thread.

Congrats, but time to let it go now.
Nope, just replying to PhatBoy because he wanted to know why I disagreed with him about Geelong's free kick counts.

I used the Easter Monday game to illustrate why the 20-21 tally was misleading in terms of the umpires' influence.

I also gave my opinion as to why the Cats always do pretty well with umps by infringing more, but having equal free kick counts. Similar in some ways to Richmond during their dynasty. Except the Tigers were always 18th for free kick differential. Which they deserved to be. They played with a hard, aggressive edge and brought constant tackle pressure. Tigers fans always moaned about the umpires, but I'm sure Hardwick didn't give a rat's arse.

As for "letting it go", I'm a long-time footy fan with lots of opinions about the game. This is a discussion board where I'm happy to share my opinions. If you think I'm sore about the umpiring from 2 weeks ago, then I don't know what to say to you. We got towelled up by 6 goals. We are shite. I accept that. The umpiring in that game was nothing unusual. Pretty much every game, we are being f'd over the umps. Not as some AFL conspiracy to stitch up Hawthorn. I just think umpires tend to be unforgiving towards the worst teams and biased towards the best teams. It's always the way. Happens in all sports.

The umpiring in the Suns v Hawks game was deadset laughable. I wish someone in the media would highlight the raging inconsistency throughout the match. But nobody cares... It was a dud game and horribly one-sided. The Suns would've won by plenty, with or without the umps. Just makes it really difficult to watch when your team is being bent over by the umps as well as the other team.

Nope, just replying to PhatBoy because he wanted to know why I disagreed with him about Geelong's free kick counts.

I used the Easter Monday game to illustrate why the 20-21 tally was misleading in terms of the umpires' influence.

I also gave my opinion as to why the Cats always do pretty well with umps by infringing more, but having equal free kick counts. Similar in some ways to Richmond during their dynasty. Except the Tigers were always 18th for free kick differential. Which they deserved to be. They played with a hard, aggressive edge and brought constant tackle pressure. Tigers fans always moaned about the umpires, but I'm sure Hardwick didn't give a rat's arse.

As for "letting it go", I'm a long-time footy fan with lots of opinions about the game. This is a discussion board where I'm happy to share my opinions. If you think I'm sore about the umpiring from 2 weeks ago, then I don't know what to say to you. We got towelled up by 6 goals. We are shite. I accept that. The umpiring in that game was nothing unusual. Pretty much every game, we are being f'd over the umps. Not as some AFL conspiracy to stitch up Hawthorn. I just think umpires tend to be unforgiving towards the worst teams and biased towards the best teams. It's always the way. Happens in all sports.

The umpiring in the Suns v Hawks game was deadset laughable. I wish someone in the media would highlight the raging inconsistency throughout the match. But nobody cares... It was a dud game and horribly one-sided. The Suns would've won by plenty, with or without the umps. Just makes it really difficult to watch when your team is being bent over by the umps as well as the other team.
You have put a lot of thought and effort into all that and it sounds like a project you have been working on for many years now.

Let me know when the finalised results are ready for publication. I'm very interested on the meta analysis of Geelong's longstanding "sly, underhanded tactics" in particular.

I'm not convinced, for now.

You have put a lot of thought and effort into all that and it sounds like a project you have been working on for many years now.

Let me know when the finalised results are ready for publication. I'm very interested on the meta analysis of Geelong's longstanding "sly, underhanded tactics" in particular.

I'm not convinced, for now.
No mate. Maybe it takes you hours to write 200 words, but I have no trouble knocking out a few paragraphs.

As for me "putting a lot of thought into it", I wouldn't go that far. It's really more of an long-term observation from watching Geelong 100-150 times over the last past 12 years and paying extra close attention in the 20 or so games against us which I've seen at the MCG

No mate. Maybe it takes you hours to write 200 words, but I have no trouble knocking out a few paragraphs.

As for me "putting a lot of thought into it", I wouldn't go that far. It's really more of an long-term observation from watching Geelong 100-150 times over the last past 12 years and paying extra close attention in the 20 or so games against us which I've seen at the MCG
Sounds like delusional nonsense, I must confess.

But hey we all got to "learn" something this weekend.

Sounds like delusional nonsense, I must confess.

But hey we all got to "learn" something this weekend.
Well, you're a Geelong fan. Of course you're not going to notice the infringments from Geelong players. Only the opposition's.

You can be sarcastic smart-arse, all you like. But my opinion is my opinion. It's not something I invented 2 weeks ago. Like I said already, it's something I've noticed throughout the duration of Chris Scott's coaching career.

Not sure why you're getting so angsty about it. It's good for the Cats. It's to your advantage. Just like Stephen Silvagni getting away with being the human octopus throughout his career and being selected as the Full Back of the Century. I still think he is still the best full back of all time, even though he got away with a lot.

4. It’s a continual back and forth with the person I replied to and I couldn’t give two f**ks about the free kick count. Get over it.

No, I wrote I reply to a GWS fan who is convinced the AFL is against his team and I’ve written about 3-4 factual and very concise replies to his non-sensual ramblings pointing out that they have no basis and I happened to point out in doing so that there is a Victorian team that has a 0-5 ‘winning’ free kick count against them so far this season and you disagreed with it so I tagged you in a comment.

You then decided to furnish us with a novel about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back