Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Teach us your ways. How do you tackle?
I just press triangle, but without sprinting. Sprinting seems to screw everything unless it's used sparingly. Maybe that's design, not sure.

I just press triangle, but without sprinting. Sprinting seems to screw everything unless it's used sparingly. Maybe that's design, not sure.
I was able to lay tackles while sprinting even in the first patch, but everything about the tackling is broken.

I’ll try again without sprinting. It might just be a skill issue to be honest

Anyone got any theories as to how they realistically fix this? It looks broken beyond repair.
Get a TARDIS, go back in time and put priority into gameplay first and foremost, then worry about the rest.

But look I don't think it's unsalvageable as I've said all along, but its gonna take a lot of work. How patient their customer base is will be the thing.

Get a TARDIS, go back in time and put priority into gameplay first and foremost, then worry about the rest.

But look I don't think it's unsalvageable as I've said all along, but its gonna take a lot of work. How patient their customer base is will be the thing.

The big worry for me is the cricket game that’s supposed to be releasing in 6 weeks

I’ll try again without sprinting. It might just be a skill issue to be honest
It's something I'm used to because sprinting and tackling in Evo 2 would give a much higher chance of head high tackles or in the back.

I said that to one of the developers that face scanning was a big mistake, and that the RLL3 approach was the best MO. Boy, ain't that true.

I said that to one of the developers that face scanning was a big mistake, and that the RLL3 approach was the best MO. Boy, ain't that true.
Sorry, what was the RLL3 approach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of detail they have put in the stadiums is really good, it’s funny though the even included the bar on the hill (people that don’t know the bars called Coopers Hill). Would I be right in guessing they have almost done like a google maps sort of detail then create it in the game?

View attachment 1679330
If you look closely, you can see my 5 year old running behind there to do a whiz 😂 Lots of coin spent on beers on that hill for me (fantas for the young fella). I think they maps + toured the oval quite extensively. Coopers Hill and the adjacent bar on the corner are important features

Playing a few games after the patch, I really can’t tell whats been fixed or what hasn’t unfortunately. I’m laying some tackles but it feels very roll the dice, could be me holding or pressing triangle (I’ve tried both) plus shoulder buttons.

On the AI side, the invisible blockages from their backline to forward is ridiculous. 3-4 kicks tops and none of the user players can get anywhere near the players to stop it. I’m also convinced difficulties don’t matter as the AI plays virtually the same in every game.

Also something new, I don’t think the wind has any affect on goal kicking. Tried to aim for the inside of a post where the strong wind would’ve certainly carried it over for a point, but still got the goal 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: Marking is absolutely in favour of the user team. I spam the button with no timing element and even if my player is 10m from the landing spot, will still get the mark. FWIW I actually enjoy the game minus the bugs, love the look and feel of it and really want the patch rollouts to at least reduce the issues we all experience playing the game. Its definitely got potential to be the best AFL game.

Last edited:
To prioritize the gameplay. They didn't do any face scanning for RLL3.
Yeah **** the face scans. So many nerds on here obsessed with the scans, the socks, the diversity in the crowd etc like who gives an absolute rats toss bag. Make a ****ing footy game that's fun to play. **** the rest

Day 3… how we all feeling? I’m honestly amazed how much attention this page is getting. And how late you lot stay up. I swear I’ll put down Bigfooty at like 10pm, sign on at 7 and there’s 11-12 more pages. Do you guys ever sleep?

Don’t know why I have bothered, just fired up the game for the first time since last nights 6/6 game crash fest.

Playing on ps4 the latest update is 1.04. I see people mentioning ps5 has 1.05 as the latest. Is that for for ps4 as well or do the different consoles have different versions?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A list of important fixes that need to be implemented

• Player movement is the most major issue, it feels like i’m wrestling with the controller to get players moving the way I want them to, needs to be patched ASAP.
• The L1 button to change player rarely works, it is a struggle to swap players and even rare that you swap to the player you intended to. Implement the right stick flick to choose the direction of the player you’d like to swap to.
• Handballing has been vastly improved, but still needs work.
• Tackling clearly not working whatsoever, including holding the ball not triggering correctly (I have had times i’ve tackled a player on the run, they go to ground, then stand back up and continue running like the tackle never happened) as well as other tackle based free kicks that don’t trigger at all
• Set shots are very bugged, the directional buttons to change kick type don’t work fluently, as well as the second power bar not triggering when you press the button to time it
• Marking contests are all over the place, players sometimes warping to the location of the ball to take priority and win the contest, needs better systems in place for which player takes priority winning the contest, whether that’s based on positioning or marking attribute.
• AI obviously working far from intended, just needs a complete overhaul, especially needs hard difficulties to provide a deep challenge like Live 2011 to get more depth out of Management Career and Season Mode.
• Lineup and interchange not working at all.
• Season mode has no option for team lineup out of in game
• Management Career does not allow for multiplayer

A list of suggestions for features to implement down the line
• Player and team ratings should be tweaked to be a wider spread of ratings. High rated teams 90~ and low rated 80~, it is important that Management Career and Season Mode have more realistic scorelines for AI games and have depth in further seasons to build a lower rated team up or work with a higher rated teams list. Rework how the ratings are designed, champion data is not reliable enough to determine how every player is rated, some ratings are just baffling.
• Management Career (from little experience with it as I experienced too many crashes to play it as of writing) needs more depth. Interactions with players on the list if they’re not getting enough games, whether they want to appeal a suspension or not, etc. Player training. Sponsors. News headlines for the week when a team gets an important win or another team scores a big upset. All quality of life features, absolutely not important at this stage, but would be nice to be able to immerse yourself in the mode.
• Stats screen between quarters an obvious one, I enjoyed having the highlights of the quarter in the background in Live 2011, as much as the cutscenes are a great touch, even just a transition from cutscene to stats screen makes sense.
• Custom teams playable in Management Career, should be able to swap any team in and out, if I have 18 custom teams, why not allow me to replace the AFL teams with them and immerse in my own designed career?
• Absolutely love being able to pick a team song in Team Creator, how about a few basic stock songs even without singing though?

Let me know if i’ve missed anything - Definitely haven’t played as much as many others here do bound to have missed things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back