Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
I agree there are a lot of bugs. It just seems strange to constantly bang on about how unplayable it is but then keep playing it regularly. I've played 3 games, one after each patch. I know it's still largely not fun to play, other than stringing together some nice plays, but ultimately Big Ant also know this and it's why they're working around the clock to fix it. I just don't understand the need to be saying it isn't playable 5 times a day, and then also continuing to play it.
I didn't play it for 3 days, I checked it again, today, and it's still unplayable. I then documented the bugs and glitches via YouTube uploads, one of the developer's reacted to it, so hopefully they know in more detail what the issues are from that, because they weren't getting fixed.

He's recording and reporting the bugs so they're fixed.

Yeah which is great. But then why constantly post about how the game is broken and unplayable? If we're all in agreement that there are bugs and they are being fixed, why act like the game has fundamental flaws that mean it will never be good?

I kind of see it as 3 camps.

Camp 1 - Angry at Big Ant/gaming industry for releasing a broken game, refuse to buy or play it until fixed or possibly never at all.
Camp 2 - Aware the game as critical bugs and aware Big Ant is working on them. Still think the game is cooked and has little hope of recovery.
Camp 3 - Aware the game has critical bugs and aware Big Ant is working on them. Think the game still has potential so playing it to help find bugs and pass on feedback.

Assuming Goldberg is in camp 3, unsure why the need to constantly say it's unplayable. We all know it is, I don't think anyone's out there genuinely say it's great now. Just doesn't seem constructive. If you're in camp 1 or 2 I'd expect that commentary, but not if you're in camp 3. And unless you're in camp 3 I'm not sure why you'd be playing the game at all.

BigAntStudios I'm genuinely curious if Hamish will be made available to commentate? Huddo is alright but would like some variety and Hamish was listed as being included in the game. Perhaps more of Gary?

Put together a few rounds for those who like to simulate realistic results
Will add in some disposal stats too
2.5 mins
A.Brayshaw with 12
1683517281342.png |

3.5 mins
T.Adams with 23
1683517480121.png

5 mins
C.Petracca 28 disposals
1683517525498.png

7.5 Minutes

T.Adams with 33
1683517743238.png

10 Minutes

Petracca 45 disp
1683518065631.png

Full Length sim
103 disposals to Petracca

1683518453007.png

Yeah which is great. But then why constantly post about how the game is broken and unplayable? If we're all in agreement that there are bugs and they are being fixed, why act like the game has fundamental flaws that mean it will never be good?

Camp 1 - Angry at Big Ant/gaming industry for releasing a broken game, refuse to buy or play it until fixed or possibly never at all.
Camp 2 - Aware the game as critical bugs and aware Big Ant is working on them. Still think the game is cooked and has little hope of recovery.
Camp 3 - Aware the game has critical bugs and aware Big Ant is working on them. Think the game still has potential so playing it to help find bugs and pass on feedback.

Assuming Goldberg is in camp 3, unsure why the need to constantly say it's unplayable. We all know it is, I don't think anyone's out there genuinely say it's great now. Just doesn't seem constructive. If you're in camp 1 or 2 I'd expect that commentary, but not if you're in camp 3. And unless you're in camp 3 I'm not sure why you'd be playing the game at all.
Because people keep saying it's playable. Apparently it's great to say it's playable with little to back it up, but it's the end of the world to articulate and show video evidence as to why it's unplayable?

Last edited:

Put together a few rounds for those who like to simulate realistic results​

2.5 mins​

A.Brayshaw with 12

3.5 mins

T.Adams with 23

5 mins

C.Petracca 28 disposals

7.5 Minutes

T.Adams with 33

10 Minutes

Petracca 45 disp

Full Length sim​

103 disposals to Petracca​

7.5 minutes feels right in my save

2.5 mins​

A.Brayshaw with 12

3.5 mins

T.Adams with 23

5 mins

C.Petracca 28 disposals

7.5 Minutes

T.Adams with 33

10 Minutes

Petracca 45 disp

Full Length sim​

Seems like 7 and a half minutes is the way to go !

Should also add
Camp 4 - Those who have software engineering knowledge and don't work at Big Ant who are thinking logically as to why such an issue can occur. These people are most likely within Camp 3 as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is probably me - I test software/apps at work and always try to look for the good in things.
You must be playing a rare unbroken version then. Most of us are playing a build in which you can't turn or twist or move in the direction you want to go, hence all the criticism.
The "unplayable/broken" feature for you, may not be the same for me - for me the movement needs work, but it does not stop me from enjoying the game.

I am frustrated with the centre bounce/ruck though - it is a bit hit/miss (probably user error).

This is probably me - I test software/apps at work and always try to look for the good in things.

The "unplayable/broken" feature for you, may not be the same for me - for me the movement needs work, but it does not stop me from enjoying the game.

I am frustrated with the centre bounce/ruck though - it is a bit hit/miss (probably user error).
The centre bounce and ruck is actually not an issue for me, because it's exactly like Live 1 and is actually one of the few functioning things in the game.

I haven’t had too many issues with rucking either it’s about 50/50 for me
I second this.

It's the stuff that comes after the tap.. Players either standing there lifeless or players running in all directions, can't lay a tackle or get the ball but get tackled by someone 5 metres away through teleportation.

2.5 mins​

A.Brayshaw with 12

3.5 mins

T.Adams with 23

5 mins

C.Petracca 28 disposals

7.5 Minutes

T.Adams with 33

10 Minutes

Petracca 45 disp

Full Length sim​

This is insane. Not everyone wants to play short little matches, but if this indicates how easy it is to score per minute of game time, then it’s a lazily coded game where there’s no ”in-between” AI work, and just winner of the ball kicks goal. (Although it’s the AFLs end to end basketball scoring dream)

I haven’t had too many issues with rucking either it’s about 50/50 for me
When I was mucking around on the easiest, I never lost a ruck battle, it was very easy, because the opposition ruckman didn't contest inside the circle graphic. The umpire although did push me, and I thought I'd mess it up, but I still won the rucking duels.

Can we include a player eating grass animation?

Brown hair Matt Rowell eating grass won't hit the same. I am going to stand outside Big Ant with a sign until Matt Rowell is a ferocious redhead so bright it reflects against the sun in the stadium and sets fire to my TV.

download (7).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back