Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
I noticed I had a loose man sprint to my side as an option, never before seen that in an AFL video game, very nice touch. Would be great if everything was responsive, though. A lot of players are stalling or don't release kicks/hand balls when commanded to, I'm constantly fighting the controls.

Game is so much better than a few days ago, good stuff. Played 5 games and no crash! Just wanted to know if anyone gets this msg at all? Playing on Steam and it resets my settings every time I make a change. Cheers.

Edit: Uninstalled anti-virus and it's not throwing this error anymore. Wasn't able to get online before, so will give that a try during the day.

BigAntStudios

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    786.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
This latest patch has made the game playable finally.
Still stalled movement after a handball recieve but at least now I feel like I can do something when I have the ball

This latest patch has made the game playable finally.
Still stalled movement after a handball recieve but at least now I feel like I can do something when I have the ball
Definitely needs a lot more patching to become responsive, controllable and fluid. Aussie Rules is all about precision movement, this game doesn't have that yet.

BigAntStudios Definitely better

1. the oppo always has free players everywhere

2. The player you control is way too fast and is very hard to catch the oppo without running past them.

3. Kick backwards following marks still

4.if I lose the tap in the centre I lose all my centre clearances

5. Still crashes in management mode

Btw spoiling/punching the ball is your best friend as a defender, but it doesn't help without any tactical controls and players sprinting towards the boundary line away from the ball, when you're commanding them to go towards the ball. I would hope quick select tactics become a thing down the line.

I think the game should be slowed down for a number of reasons. This is so unrealistically fast, the players don't feel weighted or grounded, and I think it could be effecting the loss of control of the players, who veer off into their own direction out of your control. And those ball physics are like super sonic bullets, with the goal kicks.

Attachments

• chickenback.PNG
    chickenback.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • jwitts.PNG
    jwitts.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
Okay after patch I do enjoy the rucking and tackling is must better , if it were me I would make the tackling more reactive I feel it’s abit slow when I tackle , like there’s a delay.

The AI actually spoils which is another positive.

One annoying thing is the clearance handballs are very glitchy sometimes I send a 50m handball out of bounds backwards without any power.

Now a big one for me is those pesty kicks that AI intercept and catch instantly and run away with I’m talking about the short 15-20m kicks that if there’s a player within 3 metres they just catch instantly , maybe if that were a smother and then to a ground ball because that happens a lot and AI start a instant chain which I find not realistic in footy.

Player switching surely must be a focus next patch and AI reactions, that and also running off the mark once that’s implemented this game will be my most played game 110%

Don’t get me wrong I still love the game as is.

Cheers BigAntStudios

PS Day 3 of asking for Speccys and bumping 😉😂❤️

It's Rhyce Shaw coaching Essendon

1683646330129.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was able to kick and handball where I wanted to at least 80% of the time and it worked fine.

the missed tackle has help offset the kick meter in some cases but there is still definitely work to be done on tweaking the kick meter or teleporting.
80% is still too low

Game is so much better than a few days ago, good stuff. Played 5 games and no crash! Just wanted to know if anyone gets this msg at all? Playing on Steam and it resets my settings every time I make a change. Cheers.

BigAntStudios
I'm not even sure if I preferred the state of gameplay on PS5 today compared to prior to the weekend update.

Another thing I think is cool, I was being pressured by the opposition to have my player sprint and move towards the boundary line, as I was looking for uncontested options. The opposition was basically trying to deny me space. If there was precision movement and controls, this game would be incredibly fun to play. In those moments, I really wish there was a quick select tactical option, too, to either tell my players to support or spread out, to create uncontested players.

Steam patch is good, players stop dead in their tracks a lot less and you can chain the odd handball. Also the oppo AI doesn't tackle you to the ground as much now and defensive punching is more consistent / achievable.

Team mate AI needs better ball sense and tackling, they are a liability 90% of the time. Also tackling from behind feels a lot harder than it should be.

Onwards and upwards.

I didn't notice the ai being "ridiculously fast"

I wouldn't say "double" the speed, it's definitely a little fast but I've found the pacing to be acceptable

The overall pace of the game is fast, its not annoying until the AI does its speedy gonzales (ie: fast forward on a vhs tape) routine.

As I said last night, I can "cheat" and do the same thing by jumping in on an AI teammates glitch speed run and finish off the movement once we have the ball.

The Evolution games were overall faster than they could have been (on pc at least due to the faster frame rate it was virtually identical to the AIs speedy gonzales running in 22).

Evolution 1 had a game speed modifier that I always set on slow, and it was much more realistic and playable. Evolution 2 didn't have it (the main way to fix it was to go in the sliders or edit the teams/players speed stats).

I'm assuming part of the problem is the faster framerate on pc. I found '23 too fast from the start, adjusted the setting in options (60, 144, uncapped - uncapped also made my graphics card coil whine lol).

Ultimately I settled on 30fps, it doesn't feel like '30fps' (playing most ps3/360 games eg arkham asylum) as the pace is still bloody quick. But its slow enough to be able to react to the split second things that occur in the game.

The game is getting there slowly, the AI put up a good fight now. I lose maybe 1 in 2 games on hardest difficulty. It feels like there's a momentum factor in there somehow and it's easier to kick goals in succession.

Some things that I hope Big Ant will be able to work towards:

• Highlights reel option at halftime and the end.
  • Why we cannot control the man on the mark I do not know? We should be able to jump and do some antics, waving arms etc.
  • Outside 5 rule, when on the mark, give the player a window of time to choose outside 5, instead of stand (d-button or something)
  • Bumping/jostling, the ability to call for the AI to bump for you maybe using the d-pad.
  • Need to fix the ball deflecting backward/sideways very far after handballing or kicking into someone.
  • Wind meter indicator on the coin toss so you know which way it's going when you choose your end.
  • Kicking a banana/snap in play (LT + B) always centers or passes the ball, instead of going towards goal.
  • Posts could shake sometimes after hitting them with a kick.
  • Possibly make the umpire sometimes have a bad center bounce that doesn't go up perfectly straight. It could go slightly off-center either way and not be recalled back. Could have the occasional one recalled. Maybe make it like a 1/5 chance or something.
  • There's only 1 animation for a wayward kick (floats to the side), some more would be nice (maybe spinning wrong, or floating the other way)

Academy:
  • The player creator has no sliders for facial or body features, only presets. You cannot make accurately make a player. Also the upload photo doesn't work properly it just slaps the image on the face.
  • The player model of all of the rookies seems to be the same (bald guy). Also some with weird ages, 10 years old?

Last edited:
Installed the latest patch for ps5. 2 play now games and two crashes. Uninstalled the game and reinstalling to see how it goes.

For the game play definitely better than the last patch, been able to string kicks and handballs. AI tackling is fine although there are still instances of teleporting.

Goal kicking is too easy. For goals on the run, as along as I’m running towards goal it will go in easy, hoping for a implementation of at least a timing mechanic to make it harder.

Before my first game crashed I’ve also managed to kick 9 straight set shot goals all from around 50 meters out with brad close out of all players (not a known set shot taker and especially not 50m out). Really missing a option that uses the right joystick as a means to determine accuracy and to make it harder..

Switching players still needs improvement, it’s not responsive and it really doesn’t seem like there is much control as to which player you change to and with so many players on the field it is really missing some sort of manual switching using the right joystick. Additionally, one really annoying thing I’ve noticed is not being able to change players if you are on the mark, which makes defending difficult, sometimes you just see a man you want to mark but can’t change to another player to do so.

But yeah, we got progress with the game play and looking forward to what is to come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back