Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
I’ll admit I was disappointed when I gave the game a crack today for the first time since Saturday.

The game still lags ALOT for changing direction and kicking. Players around the ball are still abysmally unattentive. When you kick for goal during play, the defender will either tackle you or just stand there next to you as you kick. Every player on your team is baisically useless unless you select them to control. And then it’s hope for the best, and that they do what you want them to do.

The kicking is ridiculously slow. You should be able to start powering your kick the moment the ball touches the players hand. At the moment there is at least a second wait before you can power your kick. I have never felt THIS OUT OF CONTROL in a sports game EVER. Even something as simple as moving your player to a specific direction is a constant battle. Forget the opposition, I feel like I’m battling the game itself.

As it stands right now, this is the least playable AFL game ever.

Even AFL Live 2 was more playable.

It’s got potential but I question how it can be 7 days since release and they are still way off an acceptable state despite saying it would take a week to have it how it should’ve been at launch. I hope Big ant can fix it, but I’m becoming skeptical they will.
Players also feel like they're skating everywhere, instead of feeling weighted and grounded. I'll see if support will take a look into it, I gave them a lot of documentation of the issues.

BigAntStudios Patch plays a lot nicer on PS5 had quite a few crashes around 3qtr time but gameplay feels good now.

Minor question about a change but it would add a lot to the overall immersion: Is there any chance in future patches to have the screens at the grounds switched on? I also noticed the MCG scoreboard for example the LED board is there but it is just a black rectangle. I remember back in AFL Live 2003 it had the screens on and it was just a mirror of the gameplay cam and I think it just looks a lot better than a black square that we have currently.

Obviously you have bigger fish to fry at the minute but would be an awesome thing to add in the game.
They’re definitely on, depending on the lighting you can make out some sort of gameplay and if you look at the scoreboard in the interactive replay you’ll be able to get a proper look at it. It’s definitely way too dark though, not sure how it would’ve ended up like that but it damages the immersion as they look like they’re off most of the time.

Congrats Ross & BA, playing on medium now I think this will be the patch where people stop dying a quite death playing this game.

Sure, heaps to do, but you now feel like you have a bit of control. Punches work, the AI tackles similar to how you do and your teammates appear to be doing a better job guarding space. I've had genuine fun the past hour for what could be the first time.

Please don't make medium difficulty any harder or easier with the current mechanics, maybe when everything is silky smooth and there are tactics but for now we have the sweet spot.

Since everyone has a wish for the next patch, mine is having the team line ups saved between matches.

BigAntStudios Patch plays a lot nicer on PS5 had quite a few crashes around 3qtr time but gameplay feels good now.

Minor question about a change but it would add a lot to the overall immersion: Is there any chance in future patches to have the screens at the grounds switched on? I also noticed the MCG scoreboard for example the LED board is there but it is just a black rectangle. I remember back in AFL Live 2003 it had the screens on and it was just a mirror of the gameplay cam and I think it just looks a lot better than a black square that we have currently.

Obviously you have bigger fish to fry at the minute but would be an awesome thing to add in the game.
Yeah afl evo 2 had the LED scores and it just added realism to the stadiums, hopefully this is something big ant add in the future

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 127
Is it a bug or do WCE only have one banner? Noticed others have quite a few and even team specific ones (port v coll, Collingwood referenced prison bars being theirs)
The Bulldogs have a decent variety. Mostly some of the Danny McGinley work from 2015/16 I believe

It is my expectation that he will be patched in, there will be more on that later when it occurs.

I still am perplexed that Aliir Aliir and Todd Marshall don’t have official face scans… any update on when they’ll be represented properly in game??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Congrats Ross & BA, playing on medium now I think this will be the patch where people stop dying a quite death playing this game.

Sure, heaps to do, but you now feel like you have a bit of control. Punches work, the AI tackles similar to how you do and your teammates appear to be doing a better job guarding space. I've had genuine fun the past hour for what could be the first time.

Please don't make medium difficulty any harder or easier with the current mechanics, maybe when everything is silky smooth and there are tactics but for now we have the sweet spot.

Since everyone has a wish for the next patch, mine is having the team line ups saved between matches.
Is that the steam patch for today? If so I'm looking forward to testing this in the morning. Today definitely felt like the biggest step in the right direction for the game

I still am perplexed that Aliir Aliir and Todd Marshall don’t have official face scans… any update on when they’ll be represented properly in game??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Add Liam Jones to the list also. Do love seeing recent draftees scanned in already. Hopefully Bevo doesn't take too long

Is that the steam patch for today? If so I'm looking forward to testing this in the morning. Today definitely felt like the biggest step in the right direction for the game
Correct. You might still get crashes and 'all the bugs', but you will stop being kybered by unfair mechanics for long stretches of gameplay.

I keep going back and forth, there are elements of the game that I like, but then there are elements that are annoying that detracts what I like a little.

Inroads have been made to the gameplay, yet there are a few that stand out (eg: the constant speeding up of play) that may stay as a quirk of the game.

Its good that the AI can stay in the contest, it just feels like it cheats in doing so. But then its also kind of crazy how the AI doesn't let up one minute (can't break through the defence), the next they're able to be side stepped WITHOUT using the right stick function.

I played too many games prior to Wednesday nights patch to see the true difference in the new difficulty tweaks. When I return to the game on Thursday night, hopefully a renewed enthusiasm occurs (it will as I get suckered in lol).

I just feel that while there's plenty to like. There's a lot holding it back from being awesome.

Had a game with the new update on ps5, medium difficulty.
OK, can anyone tell me how to stop the AI marking everything. Also when I receive a hand pass my player just stops for a second.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game is great after this mornings update on PS4, well done Big Ant! It’s getting there. Easy mode is recommended if you just want a breezy game to pick up and play now. Marking, tackling is fixed, the addition of the green circle really helps, player movement has good flow, you can string handballs together well, rucking is fun, noticed players using the snap in the middle more, very cool.

Things I’ve still noticed:

• umpire looks like he’s sliding on ice instead of walking, at times.
  • a wind direction graphic would help lining up for goal
  • opposition players sometime have two people stand still on the mark.

I keep going back and forth, there are elements of the game that I like, but then there are elements that are annoying that detracts what I like a little.

Inroads have been made to the gameplay, yet there are a few that stand out (eg: the constant speeding up of play) that may stay as a quirk of the game.

Its good that the AI can stay in the contest, it just feels like it cheats in doing so. But then its also kind of crazy how the AI doesn't let up one minute (can't break through the defence), the next they're able to be side stepped WITHOUT using the right stick function.

I played too many games prior to Wednesday nights patch to see the true difference in the new difficulty tweaks. When I return to the game on Thursday night, hopefully a renewed enthusiasm occurs (it will as I get suckered in lol).

I just feel that while there's plenty to like. There's a lot holding it back from being awesome.

To be honest, even FIFA and NBA 2K AI can do this. I've been playing those games for years. I think it's something in sports games that hasn't been figured out. Whether it's the AI isn't quite there yet or whatever it is, sometimes it just feels impossible to play against.

BigAntStudios Just curious if wind is actually working in the game at present?

Every set shot I've had where it shows strong winds, the ball barely moves an inch in the air. So I'm wondering if it's even in the game yet or it does it just feature the wind metre without the functionality of wind at the moment?

BigAntStudios Just curious if wind is actually working in the game at present?

Every set shot I've had where it shows strong winds, the ball barely moves an inch in the air. So I'm wondering if it's even in the game yet or it does it just feature the wind metre without the functionality of wind at the moment?
It isn't yet, will be later this week.

I made a video last night of some of the main questions Ross answered in stream last night with that being 1 of them.

Played 2 games last night against my son offline. Game is improved but still way too many bugs and problems to say it is playable. Extremely frustrating game, marks, spoils, handballs, tackles, player movement still not where they should be. Still had teleporting players, players playing on, marking, kicking etc even without pressing any buttons, still too laggy with disposals, goalkicking way too easy basically can't miss having a shot on the run etc etc

Oh and to top it off PS5 crashed with a few minutes left in the 2nd game playing 5 minute quarters 🙄

At this rate hopefully we might get a decent game by July.

Also I can't log in with the 2nd controller to select a team before the game it just goes to the sign in screen which crashes even though I've already signed in to the ps5 account/user. Have to wait until game has started to then add the 2nd controller in.

There's no rotation of players either, Gawn rucking and Grundy FF for the whole game.

Temptation got the better of me, decided to try one game before getting ready for work. Hawthorn vs Fremantle MCG 1:10pm

Loaded up at night
Exited, went out and checked the options (red sherrin, day game etc etc).
Loaded up correctly this time
Lose the ruck contest
And the follow up marking contest
Player goes to kick the goal (it was sailing to the right hand side, could see the marker)

And game frose

Fantastic! first glitch for me since earlier this week when it locked up on the title screen after the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back