Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
The hands up feature is only good for getting the ball out
Doesn’t actually handball it to another teammate unless you get lucky
Also same with the clearance buttons
The concept is cool but I just think pre planning your disposal could be a good way to break up some of the gameplay so it doesn’t feel so rinse and repeat
It works if you hold and don't spam. Also don't sprint.

I think from watching his stream I have learnt I was doing the set shot wrong as in not having the marker high enough and thats why i was struggling to kick long distance goals.....so as I thought the incompetent user light was flashing

What I saw that he said is:

• AI currently using tactics, will be in the game by friday
  • Currently wind and footedness not properly implemented for goal kicking
  • Player career will be in the next iteration of the game
  • Once all the original features are in they will slow the patching down as he already said
  • On the fly tactics IE using d-pad also coming with the full tactics
  • All guernseys will come they were supposed to be there (Pies/Dons ANZAC day etc)
  • More difficulty tuning will be coming once they have usable data
  • He will be explaining everything that happened with the launch and what steps they took post launch etc, possibly in a pod with Michaels

I feel like I missed one but hope that helps.
Also said there was still a lot of changes/content to come for management mode

What I saw that he said is:

• AI currently using tactics, will be in the game by friday
  • Currently wind and footedness not properly implemented for goal kicking
  • Player career will be in the next iteration of the game
  • Once all the original features are in they will slow the patching down as he already said
  • On the fly tactics IE using d-pad also coming with the full tactics
  • All guernseys will come they were supposed to be there (Pies/Dons ANZAC day etc)
  • More difficulty tuning will be coming once they have usable data
  • He will be explaining everything that happened with the launch and what steps they took post launch etc, possibly in a pod with Michaels

I feel like I missed one but hope that helps.

Great summary, thank you. Tactics one of the last critical fixes needed as well as goal kicking I think. Plenty of other minor things but these are the last 2 "game ruiners" for me

When management mode is updated next will we have in game injuries or even injuries that need me to change my side each week?
Only way to get them is by simulating at the moment.
Otherwise I’m taking the same 23 in each week.

Can someone give an honest opinion on whether the game is playable enough that it's worth purchasing now? Also, is Craig McRae still bald in the game?

I was just in the credits to grab stuff I needed to submit a bug report and I noticed that in the commentator section of the credits that one name was not there. Hamish McLaughlin.

Hudson, Underwood, Bennett, Lyon and Harford were there but no Hamish. I think that's your confirmation that Hamish got dropped from the game very late in development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally completed my first full online game on PS5 without a freeze/crash. Gameplay was a mess compared to offline. 4 or 5 times we lost the ability to pickup the football, so it just turned into a game of FIFA

I’ve played a half so far Tigers v Demons

I enjoy the menus and the graphics look good stadiums nice, kit options good.

Demons demolished me in the first 3-4 minutes, I was winging the controls and was getting slammed. Took me the first quater to settle and get used to it.

I tried end to end camera in second quarter and I started getting better I took a couple of good grabs and made some nice spoils and the animations all looked fine. First goal for me was a nice crumb from Maurice after Lynch got spoiled in the square.

I took a contested grab with Dusty munged a shot from 55 out that landed in Jacks open arms. Just missed from dead in front.

Second goal was a nice handball passage with Hopper finishing it off with looked like a snap on the run.

Dees done a nice passage from half back chipping the ball around and linking up to an open Viney in the 50 who missed a relatively easy shot.

On kicking out I completely stuffed up and rushed a point so TMAC had the shot from the forward pocket and true AFL style he went the snap shot from 5 m out slight angle and slotted it.

I’ve only played a half but I haven’t seen one single bug that I’ve witnessed in videos, I’ve seen the AI kick 3 points 2 set shots and one on the run.

I’m getting smashed in the ruck. I’m trying to work out the best camera, side on is good for seeing where your loose players are but I struggle to follow the ball and end to end is hard for the quick change of angles and trying to adjust your ball use or motion.

Player movement is a bit sloppy still , and a lot of the skill stuff like handballing is me having no idea whatsoever how to play.

I can see the potential there

I was just in the credits to grab stuff I needed to submit a bug report and I noticed that in the commentator section of the credits that one name was not there. Hamish McLaughlin.

Hudson, Underwood, Bennett, Lyon and Harford were there but no Hamish. I think that's your confirmation that Hamish got dropped from the game very late in development.
It is my expectation that he will be patched in, there will be more on that later when it occurs.

How’s the worm
Was behind all game and scored a point to tie the game with 10 seconds remaining
Thought it would 100% be a draw.
But nah, we don’t do realistic over here 🤣
Adelaide defender kicked it straight to Zuhaar in a one v one and he kicked the goal after the siren
Must admit, loved the commentary and crowd going off at that moment

Attachments

• IMG_4765.jpeg
    IMG_4765.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Just played hardest difficulty and still won 96-158. Difficulty still needs improvement. Gameplay is improving a lot. Management mode depth needs more work especially in the menus and team management side of things, I absolutely HATE only having one change to change the team lineup before gameday and it should always be an option in the menu.

Patches have been really really good though serious improvement in the last 2 patches.

Huge thanks to BigAntStudios for jumping into the stream tonight and answering questions!

I will post the twitch VOD here, if you want to read his answers etc, that will be the best way to do it.

I'll try find a time stamp on when he first popped in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back