Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Can someone score a behind against Hawthorn. They’ve just had all 17 players on the far fence, and as soon as the kicker has got it, they’ve all rushed to the other side of the ground. Genuinely looks bizarre

And it begins.

51WHDG-3q7L._AC_.jpg

Whilst I completely agree with almost all of the criticism that's been levelled at BigAnt the company for today's release, it's important to recognise that there are many developers who have spent months on this game who are probably crushed with how this has turned out. And I have no doubt they are good developers, who can develop a great quality game. They were just pressured with an unrealistic time frame for release.

I just played my first two games and from the first I genuinely think there's promise and it has flashes of really cool gameplay. The second game crashed at half time - something that will be fixed.

In the end though, there is so, so much wrong with the AI and controls. It really is fundamentally broken and, in all honesty, you can't help but feel it's just desserts for Ross after the joy he emanated at the struggles Wicked Witch had for Evo 1 and 2. I could not and would not recommend this game in its current state to anyone considering purchasing.

That being said, I'm rooting for the Big Ant devs who clearly were passionate about this. There are parts of it that I genuinely love, in terms of its presentation and animations.

My theory as to what’s happened is as follow:

Development was going smoothly, game had some issues to iron out but was in a good enough state to have the kick around playable last year and then have a pretty impressive launch event in which feedback was good.

Somewhere between then and April 13th, the game ended up in its current state and Big Ant weren’t able to get it to a playable state, hence the delay and whatever marketing budget they had was scrapped as you wouldn’t want to spruik the game to release it as it was released today, so a nice quiet launch worked far more in their favour. It also worked in their favour that they were able to claim distribution issues with Xbox - they claimed this as the sole reason for the delay. This explains the delay in getting the YouTubers in when originally planned if the game wasn’t playable.

Between then and the YouTubers coming in, they were able to somewhat fix the game and the game worked well enough in house for the YouTubers to record not bad looking gameplay. Since then, they haven’t been able to get approvals etc or enough of a state to get the patches live in a live environment outside of development builds, but decided to release the game anyway.

I dunno how Xbox works in terms of quality assurance etc, but wouldn’t surprise me at all if the reason why they had issues with Xbox is that the game crashes far too often and thus didn’t pass certain approvals Xbox has.

That’s my 2 cents, happy to be proven wrong but there’s been far too many different issues in different aspects throughout the process between the launch event and now as opposed to just the game being buggy on launch and just all seems a bit too coincidental.

I keep getting the same problem with Charlie Curnow I time the set shot properly but he shanks it all the time but it’s fine for other players. And everytime I finish a game it just crashes. (All on PS5 probably the reason)

Finally some realism, maybe the game has turned the corner.

Yeah this is horrible at the moment but this thread makes it sound like Big Ant has been punching children.

I mean either just wait for the patches or return it. I'll wait to see if the patches make it worth keeping and if not then back to JB it goes.
You act like anyone criticising big ant are punching children

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twistie played hardest & won 83 - 0. Now he is playing Hard which is 1 level down in difficulty and is currently losing 4.0 24 to 4.8 32 in the 3rd qrt.

So there is something wrong with the difficulties
Would not shock me if the difficulties have absolutely zero bearing on difficulty at this stage

Development was going smoothly, game had some issues to iron out but was in a good enough state to have the kick around playable last year and then have a pretty impressive launch event in which feedback was good.

Somewhere between then and April 13th, the game ended up in its current state and Big Ant weren’t able to get it to a playable state, hence the delay and whatever marketing budget they had was scrapped as you wouldn’t want to spruik the game to release it as it was released today, so a nice quiet launch worked far more in their favour. It also worked in their favour that they were able to claim distribution issues with Xbox - they claimed this as the sole reason for the delay. This explains the delay in getting the YouTubers in when originally planned if the game wasn’t playable.

Between then and the YouTubers coming in, they were able to somewhat fix the game and the game worked well enough in house for the YouTubers to record not bad looking gameplay. Since then, they haven’t been able to get approvals etc or enough of a state to get the patches live in a live environment outside of development builds, but decided to release the game anyway.

I dunno how Xbox works in terms of quality assurance etc, but wouldn’t surprise me at all if the reason why they had issues with Xbox is that the game crashes far too often and thus didn’t pass certain approvals Xbox has.

That’s my 2 cents, happy to be proven wrong but there’s been far too many different issues in different aspects throughout the process between the launch event and now as opposed to just the game being buggy on launch and just all seems a bit too coincidental.
I reckon that ripping Pro Team out so that it could be released at the same time for everyone might have played into some of the issues. Probably just went back to a build before it was implemented to get rid of it or something...

Microsoft are lenient feature wise but theres no way theyd approve a game that crashes under the testing period, and I find it hard to believe that's not exactly what would have occured considering we can't do basic things without a game crash.

Big part of me enjoys this though I can't lie, karma tends to get you back eventually and Ross and other BA execs acted like absolute smug campaigners in the AFL Evo launches.

You act like anyone criticising big ant are punching children
No not really, just not going to throw a tantrum over a video game when there's simple options.

Wait for it to be patched or return it.

By all means complain and repeat the same complaint if this really hurts your existence.

No not really, just not going to throw a tantrum over a video game when there's simple options.

Wait for it to be patched or return it.

By all means complain and repeat the same complaint if this really hurts your existence.
oh you are so boring jog on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back