Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Just can't do that if a camera is clipping through obstructions, we would have to remove the grandstand/item clipping or shadow it out (obscuring gameplay), neither of those are good outcomes.

Happy to hear an alternative strategy.

Not sure how it works in technical or coding aspects, but could it be possible to suspend the camera so it sits just in front of said obstruction and not in/on it? Apologies if this makes no sense lol

Just can't do that if a camera is clipping through obstructions, we would have to remove the grandstand/item clipping or shadow it out (obscuring gameplay), neither of those are good outcomes.

This issue is minute imo, just make sure there's no clipping and the general audience will be stoked.

Do we have an ETA on that roadmap we were promised?
ATM we're pulling content from the original zero day patch and putting it into today's patch for all platforms, with Steam getting it first. We will determine what gets in for today by around 2pm and I'll let you know what's coming, along with the full road map.

We get crash reports here and are fixing them as they are found/replicated on our dev kits.

The screaming is warranted when the communication was constant and fluent from the devs right up until release. I understand they’re working hard but keep people informed and the constant moaning will begin to slow
Just imagine this was your project and it released this way, first thing you would want to do is find all the problems and plan out how to fix it. A road map is no good if the plan isn't established. We have just been told we are getting a road map on day 2 of release... Not a long wait if you ask me.
Not having a crack at you, just giving you an idea.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I saw Ross "thumbs downing" someone asking why it wasn't an issue in their first game, nor in any of WW attempts at later games. What's different now? I don't think that's a bad question to ask?

Not sure how it works in technical or coding aspects, but could it be possible to suspend the camera so it sits just in front of said obstruction and not in/on it? Apologies if this makes no sense lol
Would mean that some grounds have different camera angles, so people that are really particular about their views would have to keep going into settings and changing them depending on what ground they get.

I would be happy if the gameplay was just like evo 2 at this stage lol I think the camera angles are fine but can see why people aren’t happy with it

Has anyone noticed there’s no team management in online? You’re stuck with the default 22. Aliir and Marshall aren’t even face scanned and they’re outside the first 22 (presume this is why) so I can’t even put them in my team lol what a joke 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that's why access to things like submitting releases/patches are gated behind automation and the Devs don't have access to do it manually. The process that protects from the mistake is tightly guarded credentials
That is not always the case - some situations a more senior developer might do this type of work.

In a perfect world you would expect someone who has a specific role, more in delivery of the final product who is the one who contacts Steam/Sony/Microsoft for approvals, sending requests for the games to be rated by the government classification board and even push the final game to the publishers and the patches. Someone at this role will mostly have access to the main/master version control branch only - no need to access another branches. The question is - does Big Ant have someone at this type of role or is it done by one of the more senior developers.

In a lot of games (all of them?), if you can't see it, the game doesn't draw it on screen.

Thought the camera issue would be the same. If you can't see it (which you wouldn't because the camera is pointing at the ground away from it), don't draw it? Obstruction removed.

Surely that's how every other AFL game has done it in the past without issue?

I back this.

While it's not technically broadcast accurate, why would you want to emphasise the less interesting features of a ground?

One of the (unfortunately few) joys I had with this game is the distinct nature of each scanned-in stadium. It's a real highlight and a level of detail not seen in an Aussie game before.

I would be flat as a s**t-carter's hat if I could take my Tigers out on PRO, yet I only ever got a look at the sparse hill and road on the far wing. The Jack Dyer stand, David Mandie centre, and looming MCG (which looks AMAZING in the afternoon) genuinely got a wow reaction. And I have refunded the game pending patches, so I'm not shilling for BA here.
I'll say it again, punt road is amazing with the mighty G in the back ground.

Game is completely broken and people are asking for features to be added :drunk:
That's another thing, they made the CPU smarter, but because the gameplay mechanics are broken, that just makes things worse, when versing the CPU. Also, seeing loads of gameplay YouTube videos with the players running backwards when making a turn or not moving at all when attempting to turn.

You can't even add Liam Stocker to St Kilda. We should be able to edit AFL lists, no reason why they can't be altered.
Also why is Nasiah Wanganeen Milera’s face scan and player model so poor. I could cop not having some list clogger’s face in the game, but Nas is a best 18 AFL player. Will this be patched?

Also - I love that the devs have made a coin toss animation/cutscene, really adds to immersion. But can we please have the option to skip it?

I will participate in it when I'm making a video/playing career mode and fully immersed. If I'm playing a 3.5 minute quick match to pass the time, less interested.

Like 2k for instance - i want to see some cutscenes on MyCareer/MyGM. Less so on Quick Match
The cutscene is interactive though… if you’re the away team, you can choose the side of the coin… if you win the toss, you choose which way to kick.

Not having this option has been a knock on previous AFL games… so it’s good they have it.

The patch has improved tackling from "tackles never work" to "tackles occasionally work if you're lucky", but there are still so many things that don't work properly or at all.

• Sometimes the entire AI just stops. A player from one team will win the loose ball, and every single player on the field freezers for 2 or 3 seconds.
  • Sprint only works when it wants to, especially if the ball is loose and you're trying to run onto the ball.
  • Loose ball possession appears to be scripted/predetermined. You'll be leading the race to the ball, and a guy 5m behind you will go full Goku Instant Transmission and zoom right by you to pick it up.
  • Handballing direction is better... but every player who receives a handball just stops dead in their tracks if they were running. Makes it incredibly difficult to use handballs effectively because it's slowing you down terribly.
  • Tackles that do work, have a ridiculous distance on them. You'll be 2 or 3 metres in the clear, power up your kick, and the tackler will again use his Goku like powers to just appear right next you and get you for incorrect disposal.
  • There's no deliberate out of bounds. Or if there is, it's impossible to trigger it.
  • The ball glitches out pretty often. I smothered a kick in the back pocket, the ball then started jerking around like you'd put a pingpong ball in a jar and started shaking it furiously, and then all of a sudden it teleported to the other pocket... to an opposition player all on his own who kicked a goal.

Again, the fact they're charging $100 for this is a borderline scam. You cannot convince me that the build that was released was play tested at all, because these issues are so game breaking and blatant it would be impossible not to notice them.

Hey BigAntStudios Wondering if we will be able to edit player stats and positions any time soon?

I saw Ross "thumbs downing" someone asking why it wasn't an issue in their first game, nor in any of WW attempts at later games. What's different now? I don't think that's a bad question to ask?
Because he knows they stuffed up and doesn't want to admit it, he asked for ideas but when someone gives him one he shuts it down immediatly

The team would have tried all of the cameras and decided which side was clearest, least obstructed - I forgot to add that they also swapped the side if there was a monument/significant stand etc. on the same side as the camera.

The guys put a lot of work in, visiting stadiums taking hundreds of photos on the ground and getting drone shots. If there is clipping with a tree or anything else, let me know the stadium and I'll have it looked at. (It's a different team to the guys working through the patches, mostly art, so they can get on it.)

This is actually a fair response, while not accurate the current camera at Adelaide Oval does look better.

However is it possible to increase lighting for night games? You can barely see any of the hill nor up in any of the stands. Also switching the cheer squad ends.

Another plea from to please add a bounce button ross! Holding and releasing r2 is unresponsive and unintuitive. Pressing L3 like evo 2 and allowing bouncing and sprinting would help this game so much
I couldn't disagree more, taking your finger off the button is much easier than having even more buttons to remember... Unless we can have both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back