Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Why weren’t any of these issues tested before release ?
i think it's assumed that something happened with the initial release (maybe day 1 patch) which broke something to make the game be terrible, so that's why everything is being stripped back and added slowly. So there is a chance that these weren't issues before the release

Assuming this patch fixes the marking contests being ridiculously easy? Please please prioritise crowds, I've played every game in my pies career with a crowd of about 5 people and playing on hardest difficulty is still way too easy

Yeah this is a tough one because I genuinely believe something has gone wrong right before launch, so I feel like reviewing it in this state isn't fair. On the flip side, this is a product that is out now and costs money to buy, so where do you draw the line? The industry in general can't just keep relying on the release now patch later approach. Players suffer with shoddy launch products (and I'm not referring to only AFL 23) and the studios suffer with extreme crunch to fix it and their reputation takes a hit. No one wins.
I think I'm gonna just keep playing and see where it's at in a week and go from there.

I would think a review-in-progress style write-up with a heavy disclaimer about the current issues would be the most sensible thing. Don't need to attribute a score at this stage if you're not comfortable, however I do think putting something out is necessary considering that, as you've said, this game is out and on sale.

Thanks for the messages about interest in getting Steam patch access to give additional feedback. Additional input is always welcome. I'll get replies out to them tomorrow.

On a side note, I did a whole bunch of online games against people today on PC I really hope at least one person was from here. Some of y'all are really good.
Pumped, can’t wait👐

Is anyone's interchange working? I'm going into the menu and swapping players from the bench during the game, but can't see them on the ground at all?

This isn't completely true.

WW had 5 attempts. License held for 2009-2022

Iris Guru 5/6 attemps depending if you count premiership version of 2004. License held for 2002-2007.

How long should we be giving them for a decent improving game?

But yes Big ant should get as long as both of them imo

BA have proven in the past they're much more capable than these studios (no disrespect) they need a consistent look at it.

BigAntStudios

Just a question

Will we be able to create custom teams and have them replace (or create a 19th team) into a management or season mode?

Online games against friends, is that a tomorrow thing?
Pro team introduced when?

I've noticed the AI have a clear hitout advantage from the centre, whilst it's balanced around the ground, but often hitouts are too "clean" and from the centre it's always the same play, tap, handball forward, handball wide, short kick. Impossible to stop.

Also tackling, it seems to have improved for the AI, but it seems quite unresponsive, you said congestion is more a thing now so it'll be interesting to see.

Also a huge one on handballs going in wrong directions and being able to handball backwards 40-50 metres.

Notes for tonight's AFL23 Steam patch:
Balanced Tackles while sprinting
Improved Movement
Improved AI Loose Ball Chase
Improved AI Decision Making in Marking Contests (Spoil)
Improved Handball/Kick Mechanic while Tackled
Improved Stat Summaries, Player Stats added to summary screen
Improved Brownlow and Rising Star vote system
Improved Cut Scenes to correct player/coach/umpire (in progress)
Improved grapple animations in boundary throwins
Improved Stability

Introduced issues:
Congestion

Gameplay patch focus for tomorrow, apart from feature additions:
Ruck Clearance - tuning so that finding a target from the ruck and getting super clean hitouts is balanced
AI Congestion - too many players pulled around the ball
Tackles desync - animations not matching up and then strange ball disposals
Movement Improvement - turning rates for sprint and improved acceleration

Consoles shall receive all of the above in a patch on Monday evening.

Thanks for the update. I’m looking forward to it.

Thanks for the messages about interest in getting Steam patch access to give additional feedback. Additional input is always welcome. I'll get replies out to them tomorrow.

On a side note, I did a whole bunch of online games against people today on PC I really hope at least one person was from here. Some of y'all are really good.

Tough gig!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notes for tonight's AFL23 Steam patch:
Balanced Tackles while sprinting
Improved Movement
Improved AI Loose Ball Chase
Improved AI Decision Making in Marking Contests (Spoil)
Improved Handball/Kick Mechanic while Tackled
Improved Stat Summaries, Player Stats added to summary screen
Improved Brownlow and Rising Star vote system
Improved Cut Scenes to correct player/coach/umpire (in progress)
Improved grapple animations in boundary throwins
Improved Stability

Introduced issues:
Congestion

Gameplay patch focus for tomorrow, apart from feature additions:
Ruck Clearance - tuning so that finding a target from the ruck and getting super clean hitouts is balanced
AI Congestion - too many players pulled around the ball
Tackles desync - animations not matching up and then strange ball disposals
Movement Improvement - turning rates for sprint and improved acceleration

Consoles shall receive all of the above in a patch on Monday evening.
I may aswell ask when do you put the play station patch into Sony tomorrow?

Can someone tell me from the patch notes what it means when it’s says Introduced congestion. Is that something they wanted, or a problem?

Can someone tell me from the patch notes what it means when it’s says Introduced congestion. Is that something they wanted, or a problem?

A problem brought about by the other additions

BigAntStudios would there be any plans to look at AI handballing/decision making or tuning the handball length? Find the AI overusing 20 - 40m handballs, even after taking marks inside 50.

Sounds like a side effect of what they've introduced. Kind of like introducing something negative in order to bring a bunch of positives in from what I gathered. Meant to be temporary I believe

I remember live 1 being congested and a bit of a tackle fest.
Best way to fix was to lower player speed + tackling attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back