Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
I can't believe this is the same game as launch, a million times better. Still some occasions where a player randomly kicks or handballs to nobody behind them despite aiming forward & AI not defending, but imagine this stuff will be ironed out.

Excited to see how it plays come Friday.

First game after patch on Ps5.

Pros.
  • handballs feel good.
  • some unforced errors by AI and player.
  • Love the scrappy handballs and kicks while being tackled.

Cons.
  • AI always have free players.
  • General positioning is a bit loose, I'd like to see more congestion in the middle of the ground when the AI are coming out of defence.
  • When the AI take a mark, sometimes 3 players will hover around the mark while there opposition run off.
  • Only played one game, but it crashed late in the second quarter.

Overall though I think we are on the right track, just needs more work.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally I don't think we should have to watch the ai set shots. In some cases it actually disadvantages them. In one game the ai was down by 8 points and had a mark in the pocket with about 30 seconds left. In real life that player would kick as quick as possible, but in the game they took all the time and when it went back to the bounce there was like 8 seconds left. Completely ruined what could've been a frantic finish.

First game after patch on Ps5.

Pros.
  • handballs feel good.
  • some unforced errors by AI and player.
  • Love the scrappy handballs and kicks while being tackled.

Cons.
  • AI always have free players.
  • General positioning is a bit loose, I'd like to see more congestion in the middle of the ground when the AI are coming out of defence.
  • When the AI take a mark, sometimes 3 players will hover around the mark while there opposition run off.
  • Only played one game, but it crashed late in the second quarter.

Overall though I think we are on the right track, just needs more work.

The game is still very broken. I can simply run the length of the field in a super choppy manner, because the CPU has barely any tactical setting to put pressure on me, and there's no collision system, that's where all those memes of the players clipping each other come from, because they can't collide.

PS4 update came through early this morning, the game is getting really good now, well done Big Ant :) hopefully you can feel a bit of relief going forward.:smileycat:

Things I’d recommend:
  • wind direction graphic..kicking for goal
  • ability to jump whilst standing on the mark..
  • a chest mark animation
  • a banana and snap animation at the forward boundary when kicking for goal in live play.

The snap and banana animations are already in the game in live play, you just get them if your kicking drop punts..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Things I’d recommend:
  • wind direction graphic..kicking for goal
  • ability to jump whilst standing on the mark..
  • a chest mark animation
  • a banana and snap animation at the forward boundary when kicking for goal in live play.
1. There already is one on the ground, albeit feint and meaningless currently.
2. I dont even think players really do this much with the stand rule, perhaps for set shots but there'd only be 1/50 smothered in real life anyway.
3. There is when players mark on the lead.
4. There is when you hold L1 or L2 (I forget which one)

1. There already is one on the ground, albeit feint and meaningless currently.
2. I dont even think players really do this much with the stand rule, perhaps for set shots but there'd only be 1/50 smothered in real life anyway.
3. There is when players mark on the lead.
4. There is when you hold L1 or L2 (I forget which one)
The wind direction should be visible at coin tosses, or it's pointless to have.

The only really responsive and effective gameplay mechanic working is the rucking, it's perfection, because you can bang it right to your advantage from a throw in and score a goal on the run, just like real life. I wish the rest of the gameplay was that polished. The only criticism is, the rucking is too easy, and the opposition don't really contest for it.

I think we are finally seeing the game get to a standard that we are happy with which is great gameplay wise.

Now it would be great to work on the management mode where we get realistic stats set for quarter lengths, so players aren’t getting over 100 disposals in a single match. These modes are my favourite to play as I love, simulating seasons and rebuilding teams.

Hopefully this is something that is high on the priority list, as it really adds to the replay value of the game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are finally seeing the game get to a standard that we are happy with which is great gameplay wise.
It's not even close to a good standard, it's still very broken. Not sure where these observations of great gameplay are coming from. The only noticeably responsive and effective gameplay mechanic working well is the rucking, but even that is a bit broken, because the CPU don't really contest and there isn't a collision system. I also just checked into Michaels gameplay from a few hours ago, his session is even more glitchy than what I'm playing.

The game is still very broken. I can simply run the length of the field in a super choppy manner, because the CPU has barely any tactical setting to put pressure on me, and there's no collision system, that's where all those memes of the players clipping each other come from, because they can't collide.

Yeah 100%

Downloaded patch this morning and played a few games instead of going for a run (sorry physical health) and the second it downloaded, my power went off:'( Has there been any news on fixes for management mode (eg. player models not being bald, players regressing etc.). Really want to start a management mode but no point if my save is going to be rendered useless once the patches kick in

Downloaded patch this morning and played a few games instead of going for a run (sorry physical health) and the second it downloaded, my power went off:'( Has there been any news on fixes for management mode (eg. player models not being bald, players regressing etc.). Really want to start a management mode but no point if my save is going to be rendered useless once the patches kick in
I feel your pain. Though I am pretty sure BigAntStudios said a while ago in this thread that none of the updates should render management mode saves invalid.

Played my first game post PS5 patch on hard. Was losing on this difficulty yesterday 😂

5 min quarters

Handball game is 100x better. Link up plays work. Tackling is so much more balanced. I love the breakaway tackle feature. Not sure if it was because I was playing as the crows or not but I’ll be bumping this up to Hardest I think

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 136
Installed the latest patch for ps5. 2 play now games and two crashes. Uninstalled the game and reinstalling to see how it goes.

For the game play definitely better than the last patch, been able to string kicks and handballs. AI tackling is fine although there are still instances of teleporting.

Goal kicking is too easy. For goals on the run, as along as I’m running towards goal it will go in easy, hoping for a implementation of at least a timing mechanic to make it harder.

Before my first game crashed I’ve also managed to kick 9 straight set shot goals all from around 50 meters out with brad close out of all players (not a known set shot taker and especially not 50m out). Really missing a option that uses the right joystick as a means to determine accuracy and to make it harder..

Switching players still needs improvement, it’s not responsive and it really doesn’t seem like there is much control as to which player you change to and with so many players on the field it is really missing some sort of manual switching using the right joystick. Additionally, one really annoying thing I’ve noticed is not being able to change players if you are on the mark, which makes defending difficult, sometimes you just see a man you want to mark but can’t change to another player to do so.

But yeah, we got progress with the game play and looking forward to what is to come.

I said it before as well. Watching any stream, goalkicking is not challenging. there is no point to player stats if the goalkicking is so easy. These are the finer details I hope get brushed up.

I said it before as well. Watching any stream, goalkicking is not challenging. there is no point to player stats if the goalkicking is so easy. These are the finer details I hope get brushed up.
It was interesting, on console when you are downloading the game once it gets to about 30% you are able to play the goal kicking mini game that they showed at last years Grand Final, and it definitely wasn't as easy as it is in game. Still not hard but with the same mechanics it felt like it had a bit more of a skill ceiling to it than it currently does.

But I do think its hard to tell with wind not working and the power/timing bar seemingly glitching a bit as well.

One other thing I would like to see is when you "miss time" a kick instead of it flying straight for 80% of its flight then veering off late with a sharp dogleg is that it goes straight in the air but comes off the boot at an incorrect angle, this would be much more realistic and add to the game I think.

yep agreed, played on hard against Brisbane, and got hammered in the middle and the only reason I was able to stay kinda close was because every time i took a mark on the 50 and took a set shot I would get it through the middle. I had a scoreline of 11 - 0 - 66 to 13 - 5 - 83. If goal kicking was harder the scoreline would have reflected more accurately as to how absolutely outplayed I was.

I have confidence once we have a few more patches pushed through, it will be better. I got Brad Close kicking from 50m right through the middle. additionally I still have some hope that BA will eventually add in a Pro mode control for set shots to make it harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back