Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
One thing I don't understand is Interchange. Unless players are visibly fatigued, eg run slower, getting out marked or injured, then why not just stick to your starting line-up for 4 quarters? I've noticed no difference in having a 70 rated player against 90 except for height in ruck taps.

In the future it would be great to have match-up stats. In reality you would make a change if your Full Forward is getting towelled up by a particular Defender.
I believe that's in there, on the left or right side of the lineup screen.
I swapped Wilkie for Battle at CHB because Battle was getting dominated by Ben Brown.... and Wilkie had better defensive attributes. Completely changed the contest.

Will there be indigenous guernseys in game?
Has been addressed a few times - lots of licensing issues with the original artists of the geurnseys holding it back. Don't think there's been any solid yes or no though (someone can correct me if wrong)

The problem is they're public here. Can't have any public videos showing how broken the game still is 2 weeks after launch.

The team at Bigant are doing their best with the patching, yes release was not ideal, but there's no point banging on about it. Again I don't feel people who haven't even played the game can accurately judge it. Play it, then fair enough have an opinion, but watching a few streams is different to having the controller in your hands and actually playing for yourself.

The game has improved a lot and will continue to get better, and it's clearly going to be the best AFL game yet. I'd much rather have this than Wicked Witch, we are in the best possible hands for an AFL game. All we can do now is help support them, submit those tickets to Bigant to further help improve the game. I understand there's still bugs and glitches, but they will iron these out. Be patient, what we all want in the end is a great AFL game which plays well gameplay wise and is a lot of fun, and I have no doubt this game will get to that level. Wicked Witch had heaps of goes at it and was no good. It's Bigants first crack since AFL Live.

AFL is one of the hardest sports in the world to replicate into a video game, think about all the different moving parts etc compared to Cricket, Soccer, Basketball, Rugby etc. I'm thankful for Bigants efforts and will continue to back them 100%, their games in general are of a good quality, this will be no different.

Having player OVR in the team management screen would be nice

Yeah a little more control in that area would be great. I like the on field layout but the reserve players don't seem to be in any real sort of order. Seeing OVR would be great, as would be the ability to sort on that. A subtle adjustment but having a separate list of reserves to the Int and Sub would be handy.

AFL Live 1 had something where if you selected a player on the field to replace, it'd show the list of potential replacements in order of their effective OVR in that position. That was a very efficient way of swapping players. So if you clicked on Gawn, it wasn't going to suggest a 92 OVR Petracca or Oliver in his place, it'll suggest Grundy, followed by the reserve rucks.

Something like that would be a great addition.

I believe that's in there, on the left or right side of the lineup screen.
I swapped Wilkie for Battle at CHB because Battle was getting dominated by Ben Brown.... and Wilkie had better defensive attributes. Completely changed the contest.
I’m doing the same thing.
I’ll usually start Balta on the number 1 forward but if he gets destroyed I’ll switch Grimes, Broad or even Vlastuin or Gibcus onto them.

View attachment 1690235

Also had this nice smooth bit of play kicking from op 50 into mine and scoring. I’ve noticed if you have a left footer and they try to avoid a defender they will kick around the body to hit their target. Pretty cool little bits a pieces that you pick up on

Is the precision kick OP? Doesn't seem difficult to pull off considering you can freeze your opponent out? More an issue for multiplayer I guess which doesn't sound like is working properly.

Is the precision kick OP? Doesn't seem difficult to pull off considering you can freeze your opponent out? More an issue for multiplayer I guess which doesn't sound like is working properly.

As long as you have a clear line of sight between you and your teammate, it is definitely OP because it's very, well, precise. Most players can't make stabs like that on the run so consistently.

Think I need to find a better camera angle. Currently using Side Far with FOV 90 and Height 60.
I find broadcast normal to be pretty good and give a good angle to view what is in front of you. Saying that ive just submitted a ticket to BA to see if there was a quick way to quick change between normal and far for the same camera angle (normal for general play and far would be for when you've taken a mark and want to see further down the field)

Ongoing discussions?

So state leagues/a proper managment mode was never ready for launch in April May regardless of whatever happened to make the launch a mess?
They should have just announced / released the game as bare bones focusing on gameplay and then patch in a management mode later on. 2 of the biggest key selling points on the box is Pro Team and biggest in depth management mode ever which clearly isn't the case with both features missing/ not up to scratch on release. More people probably would have been ok with a simple gameplay focused game on release with complex stuff added in down the track rather than advertise all the bells and whistles and only deliver a quarter.

One thing I do have to point is that I'm loving the quick marks and turn arounds. Very annoying in Evo2 when you'd take a mark but every second mark they'd leap and hit the ground like a goalkeeper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as you have a clear line of sight between you and your teammate, it is definitely OP because it's very, well, precise. Most players can't make stabs like that on the run so consistently.
Only just noticed the ball goes from a drop punt to a helicopter spin just before the mark is taken - haha, looks strange as hell.

is there anyway to save your lineups in just play now mode - i change the team line up in the team academy but it doesnt hold my changes after i turn the console off? any suggestions here?

I wish that on PS5 that they could maximise the space on the screen....seems like we have all this space and we choose to use a smaller font size. Its a big screen, then we create a text box and then only use 50% of that. Especially on the team selection page and the guide screens. Ticket lodged.

Attachments

• AFL 23 1.jpeg
    AFL 23 1.jpeg
    608.1 KB · Views: 74
  • AFL 23 3.jpeg
    AFL 23 3.jpeg
    762.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I was very gloomy on this game yesterday but had a play today and had fun. No issues marking or spoiling. Handballing much improved, however I did have one clearance handball that went about 100m backwards from a tackle.

Still concerning how long it's taking with the volume of patches for progression, with much more needed. I guess we'll still see plenty of attention on this game while Xbox is still unreleased

I wish that on PS5 that they could maximise the space on the screen....seems like we have all this space and we choose to use a smaller font size. Its a big screen, then we create a text box and then only use 50% of that. Especially on the team selection page and the guide screens. Ticket lodged.
Yeah this is annoying. Make font bigger or put all the reserves in the dead space on the right so we don't have to scroll anymore. Font definitely needs to be a bit bigger though

One thing I hate is if you go the spoil player becomes so slow and unmovable after and it's always to the advantage of three opponents who then go in to kick easy goals.

Patch has done something to medium difficulty as it's harder now. Lost by about 50 points but mostly due to the lack of movement in my players that I can't control while opponents seem to be all running into space all over the ground. Ruck is an issue at times where you just can't even break even. Likewise the switch player is still unable to do anything which is the most important thing in the game and can not understand how that wasn't patch first before anything.

Fair to say after all these patches this game is dead and can't be fixed. Lost all faith in this game and developers being able to fix it.

One thing I hate is if you go the spoil player becomes so slow and unmovable after and it's always to the advantage of three opponents who then go in to kick easy goals.

Patch has done something to medium difficulty as it's harder now. Lost by about 50 points. Ruck is an issue now where you just can't even break even. Likewise the switch player is still unable to do anything.

Fair to say after all these patches this game is dead and can't be fixed.

I like the idea of the stumble, stops spoiling from being OP like it usually is in AFL games. But maybe as a counter measure, depending on how contested a spoil is you should be able to control the distance better, so can punch it 25m out of bounds without too much difficulty if you're a much bigger player or uncontested.

Patch has done something to medium difficulty as it's harder now. Lost by about 50 points but mostly due to the lack of movement in my players that I can't control while opponents seem to be all running into space all over the ground. Ruck is an issue at times where you just can't even break even. Likewise the switch player is still unable to do anything which is the most important thing in the game and can not understand how that wasn't patch first before anything.

Fair to say after all these patches this game is dead and can't be fixed. Lost all faith in this game and developers being able to fix it.
You gotta try to put a bit of thought in, spoil in the direction of a teammate, or towards a neutral point if you are outnumbered.

There are plenty of people saying they can win on Medium, and people being able to play defensively.
Change Player (just L1) will surely get a look... but for now, people have been using L1 + R Stick.

While the Spoil stumble is true, and could be maybe reduced, the rest of these sound more like skill difficulties you're having, rather than the game.
I would not say it is anywhere near 'dead and can't be fixed'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back