Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2: Pro Team, more like No Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems difficulty is decreasing as player responsiveness improves. Hopefully this is fixed by improving AI rather than nerfing responsiveness again.

And by improving AI I don't mean to the extent that it resorts to cheating like the "well, I may as well put the controller down because my inputs mean nothing" "momentum" swings.

I feel like if the goal kicking power metre accelerated instead of being a linear speed, it would be more difficult to judge. As well as the second accuracy guage to accelerate so timing is far more important

At the moment, the linear speed build up of both meters is too simple and easy to judge

BigAntStudios I feel like this is the next tweak needed to goal kicking… at least on the harder difficulties. Something making it a lot harder to really hit the sweet spot.
BigAntStudios make this happen please. It will be a fantastic addition to the game

Playing a few games on PS5 this morning after waiting a couple of weeks for all the patches to spin out first… gotta say, I’m still disappointed at just how far off the game is from looking like a finished product. And I reckon BA are (or at least should be) as well.

General player responsiveness & movement is too often still super frustrating. Snapping for goal in general play is still a hot mess. AI movement - especially defensively on a turnover/lost clearance - is also pretty poor. Goal kicking is way too easy (playing on med difficulty) & good luck trying to win a HTB.

Powering up your kick can often take a couple of goes, playing on quickly from a mark is still heaps quicksandy, general ball bounce physics are pretty bad, etc… there are just so many broken bits to work around, which I wasn’t expecting to still be the case.

I’ve been playing on season mode and to still not have basic things like sliders (would solve sooo many issues), an ability to bump/speccy, and even just a better user interface for team selection, stats, etc is wild.

You have to re-do your team selection every game, and the total season stats (eg player disposals) are completely out of whack, when you look at individual stats from each game - they just don’t add up. Someone like Tom Mitchell is getting 7-12 touches a game when I look at simulated match results, yet he apparently averages about 30 a game when I look at total stats for the year.

Teams don’t even default to away guernseys when they’re playing away, which isn’t a huge deal, but still. Brad Scott still not in the game, which is whatever, but it’s just such a stark reminder of how unfinished the game is whenever I get a random baldy pointing to a whiteboard during the breaks.

The camera angles are flipping weird, especially when you nail a set shot (is this angle from some sort of grasshopper cam?) & general replays/highlights are super limited - player heights still change depending on goal celebration animations, which you can’t help but notice. The list goes on.

If this is supposedly the last week of daily patches, there would wanna be some significant updates still coming our way! I won’t even touch management mode until basic stats & game functionality is improved. Which is really all I want to play the game for. Ugh.

Tbh, yes there’s still a lot to like - things like handballing & the ability to link up play have definitely improved - but it still feels like a Beta version that’s a month or so out from launch IMO.

Like everyone, yes of course I appreciate all the hard work BigAntStudios are doing each day etc etc - but man, this is still such a frustrating game to play atm. And this is coming from a pretty-easily-pleased Evo 2 fan, FWIW.

Guess I’ll try again in another fortnight or so. 🙄

Last edited:

Online will never be as good as offline for the simple fact that lag and latency will always exist
That doesnt explain why i played the same opponent with the same teams twice and the gameplay was different and working in one game and not in the other….

TBH, as it stands right now I want to play the game as I find the core gameplay fun at this point, but I don't really know what to do.

Season mode - with the constant changes to things like difficulty and core mechanics, starting a full season right now doesn't really appeal. To be honest I also feel a bit deflated by how it ended last time - hugely successful season, won the premiership, some nice on-ground cutscenes and then...nothing. Awards were broken as hell as previously posted (i.e. nobody in the top 15 of the Brownlow and 1x AA (no fwds) for a team that lost only 2 games, had a % in the 200s, and had the top five in the Coleman) which made it feel really anticlimactic and pointless.

Management mode - lacking so much depth that sadly it just isn't fun to play. No real scouting element, broken player advancement, no ability to train or otherwise impact on development, simming results that don't make sense, no ability to make any front-of-house decisions, team selection clunky and time consuming, etc.

Online - I mean, trying to be as constructive as I can here, but it just generally feels kinda bad to play. Many of the bugs that feel relatively fixed in solo play still seem to arise online, as well as some new ones (e.g. marks not paid, players standing up from a tackle and running away, ball in hand, etc).

Of course, I can just put the game down for now and let those who wanna play the game, play it - which is pretty much what I'm doing. But I was hoping for this to tide me over until things like Diablo and FFXVI which doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. :(

A couple of annoying things that STILL occur despite several ticket submissions:

- Opposition players sling-shotting past your players at superhuman speeds to collect a loose ball
View attachment 18851cb3ede72-master_playlist.mp4

- AI still getting stuck in animations where they run through the mark

- AI players completely vacating the 50 when a set shot is happening.
IMG_6731.jpeg

TBH, as it stands right now I want to play the game as I find the core gameplay fun at this point, but I don't really know what to do.

Season mode - with the constant changes to things like difficulty and core mechanics, starting a full season right now doesn't really appeal. To be honest I also feel a bit deflated by how it ended last time - hugely successful season, won the premiership, some nice on-ground cutscenes and then...nothing. Awards were broken as hell as previously posted (i.e. nobody in the top 15 of the Brownlow and 1x AA (no fwds) for a team that lost only 2 games, had a % in the 200s, and had the top five in the Coleman) which made it feel really anticlimactic and pointless.

Management mode - lacking so much depth that sadly it just isn't fun to play. No real scouting element, broken player advancement, no ability to train or otherwise impact on development, simming results that don't make sense, no ability to make any front-of-house decisions, team selection clunky and time consuming, etc.

Online - I mean, trying to be as constructive as I can here, but it just generally feels kinda bad to play. Many of the bugs that feel relatively fixed in solo play still seem to arise online, as well as some new ones (e.g. marks not paid, players standing up from a tackle and running away, ball in hand, etc).

Of course, I can just put the game down for now and let those who wanna play the game, play it - which is pretty much what I'm doing. But I was hoping for this to tide me over until things like Diablo and FFXVI which doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. :(

Very similar to me. I still boot it up and play the odd game, but it feels very empty. Nothing to keep me coming back to play more.

I get people aren’t happy with the state of the game (and rightfully so), but this is a stretch.

They don't have bugs or glitches, can play without wonky AI getting super human on occasion (2-3x the speed of your own players, being unstoppable for stretches of games etc).

They don't have bugs or glitches, can play without wonky AI getting super human on occasion (2-3x the speed of your own players, being unstoppable for stretches of games etc).

They’re also garbage, barely replicate footy & were made by emulating Live 1 🤦🏻‍♂️. All the customisation is the best part but the general gameplay itself is very average in my opinion.

People call Live 1 the best AFL game then criticise other games that try to emulate what make it good?

Personally wish more AFL games tried to emulate the good things that came before, then AFL 23 might not be in the state it's still in with slingshotting AI, a broken management mode, a broken online mode etc. because for all its faults these at least worked in Evo 2 🤷‍♂️

People call Live 1 the best AFL game then criticise other games that try to emulate what make it good?

I’m not criticising WW games for emulating Live 1. Obviously at that time Live 1 was the benchmark for success. I criticise WW’s games because under the hood, behind all the customisations and nice little extras, it felt like a big step back in terms of sheer gameplay. AFL games aren’t a huge market to begin with, so there’s not a ton of alternatives to turn to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m in total bewilderment as to how the set shots HUD still isn’t working properly. Patch after patch they are saying ‘set shot improvement’ yet still the setshot HUD still isn’t impacting kicks as it should.

They’re also garbage, barely replicate footy & were made by emulating Live 1 🤦🏻‍♂️. All the customisation is the best part but the general gameplay itself is very average in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I live in hope '23 improves further (without having to wait for '24 or '25 just to see if my gripes with it are fixed!) and I've been able to emulate many classic real life AFL moments in the game (linking passages of play, some classic shots for goal, some running/bounces/shots at goal etc). It's just a lot of the bugs from day 1 are still present and show no sign of being removed from the game - which does detract from the experience.

The Evolution games were great, I emulated many real life passages of play (which kept me coming back for more), the game play was fine for me. It resembled the AFL that I wanted to play.

Also had Tobe Watson with hair so brightly orange it would burn your retinas.

GOTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back