Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would the kicking become more challenging etc?
It would make the kicking more challenging (well thatā€™s the intention) which means little when the core gameplay is a buggy mess.

Letā€™s try and get the basics like handballs and no teleporting right before worrying about things that are at least working OK.

Priorities seem all over the place at BA.

Last edited:
enjoying this game but it's very hard to keep at it now with how weak management mode is + the lack of pro team.
both key features/fixes seem a while away with patches being focused on gameplay still.
feels like it works best as an arcade single-player game at the moment which is not anyone's goal for this game, i'd imagine.

enjoying this game but it's very hard to keep at it now with how weak management mode is + the lack of pro team.
both key features/fixes seem a while away with patches being focused on gameplay still.
feels like it works best as an arcade single-player game at the moment which is not anyone's goal for this game, i'd imagine.
My time playing it has fallen off pretty dramatically because there's just no real point to play it in Management Career. It feels empty.

The gameplay is certainly getting there, but unless I'm playing it 2P locally, I don't really get a lot out of it.

I'm hoping the coming 'on-the-run' goal kicking, and set shot tweaks will spark up single games again.
To be honest, besides the odd bugs like teleporting and the crazy handballs, single games aren't actually that bad an experience for me. But it's almost been a month now - most of us are sick of just playing meaningless play now matches over and over. Those of us who have dived into management mode are met with a fairly bare experience, and even the basics of drafting/free agents/player development are bare/missing - sucks considering this is what is on the sales listing:
  • Build your favourite AFL or AFLW club into a footballing powerhouse in the Management Career mode, overseeing drafting and player development, you'll be in full control of your team's path to the silverware.
I love the game, it's by far the best on-field experience of an AFL game and it's all I've played all month besides the odd dab in FIFA, Red Dead and The Quarry. Considering how hard I backed Evo 2 in the early days of this launch, I'm firmly in AFL23 camp now. Its just getting to be a bit like Live 1 was - only so many practice matches and 1 off seasons you can enjoy. As someone who plays lots of Football Manager and is all about development/building teams, this game just lacks that so far. (and yes, I know it never will get to that level). We've all sent feature requests/bug reports for it, just hoping it comes in soon and isn't a victim of Pro Team/Cricket

It would make the kicking more challenging (well thatā€™s the intention) which means little when the core gameplay is a buggy mess.

Letā€™s try and get the basics like handballs and no teleporting right before worrying about things that are at least working OK.

This is the part that kinda confuses me.

Why spend days on a new kick on the run feature (itā€™s not even that broken?) when we still have people teleporting and moon walking, 100m handballs auto kicks and hand balling being a buggy mess in general.

Weird state of trying to be appreciative of the daily patches but also a state of wtf is the game plan here. Seems so randomised every day

No patch recently...did i miss something?
JNT came in yesterday saying the on the run kicking needed a bit more mucking around, so no patch and it will come tonight. Not sure what else will be included though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the part that kinda confuses me.

Why spend days on a new kick on the run feature (itā€™s not even that broken?) when we still have people teleporting and moon walking, 100m handballs auto kicks and hand balling being a buggy mess in general.

Weird state of trying to be appreciative of the daily patches but also a state of wtf is the game plan here. Seems so randomised every day
Is it surprising considering how the game was released?

Is it surprising considering how the game was released?
The surprising part is how they appear to be prioritising the fixes.

Delaying patches because on-the-run kicking isnā€™t quite ready while weā€™ve still got a bunch of gameplay bugs seems odd.

After almost three weeks of almost daily patches, and with issues from day one still prevalent, single matches have lost their lustre and people have been trying to play what should the the more in-depth management mode, only to find the cupboard bare. So I think most opinions on the game have merged into one: resignation and disappointment.

Mods have also been hot on the case šŸ‘®ā€ā™‚ļø

Gamers have short attention spans and the next big thing is always just around the corner. Attention has probably shifted to Diablo or whatever.
I'm still having fun modding the game in Academy. New teams, new grounds, new leagues.
Different people want different things from the game and may or may not be prepared to overlook certain things.
I'm aiming at recreating some bush footy and many of the game's improvements have aided in that.
The in-depth management modes would be tops (especially is you can add custom teams/leagues), but I'm not bored yet by a long shot.

The surprising part is how they appear to be prioritising the fixes.

Delaying patches because on-the-run kicking isnā€™t quite ready while weā€™ve still got a bunch of gameplay bugs seems odd.
Could be an indication of difficulty to fix as much as anything. Adjusting goal kicking mechanics might be fairly low risk, whereas bugs like teleporting players might be either very hard to fix, or the solutions cause lots of other downstream issues. Software dev can be like playing jenga sometimes.

especially is you can add custom teams/leagues
Creating a new management career where you can place in a created team into the AFL would be a good inclusion. Starting a new franchise and having a list of young unknowns plus being able to draft and sign experienced players would be something that would be a great inclusion.

Goal kicking is a core gameplay mechanic that is currently just as broken as handballs and teleporting and deserves the same amount of attention.

I'm sure they are working on the other stuff too which can't be fixed with a daily bandaid patch.

I love the game, it's by far the best on-field experience of an AFL game and it's all I've played all month besides the odd dab in FIFA, Red Dead and The Quarry.

Agreed with the first part but mostly in terms of its fluidity/visuals more than the actual mechanics themselves. Yeah Iā€™m giving Red Dead 2 another run through now, should take my focus off AFL for a few weeks at this rate.

Goal kicking is a core gameplay mechanic that is currently just as broken
Hardly. I regularly kick xx.0 in every single match and while itā€™s extremely easy, at least it works, maybe not as intended but hardly game breaking.

Handballs OTOH are an absolute lucky dip on where they end up and Iā€™m not sure how you can compare goal kicks to the garbage teleporting.

Add to that, frees and marks still not being paid, 10sec tackles still being play-on and Iā€™d say thereā€™s much bigger things to fix over goal kicking.

At this rate iā€™ll finish Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom and Dragon Quest XI S by the time it's ready.

But at lest it will be fixed unlike WWā€™s forever broken and rubbish gameplay.

I thought we would of got all weekends patches and Monday so hopefully a big patch tonight but letā€™s be honest it wonā€™t happen

Hardly. I regularly kick xx.0 in every single match and while itā€™s extremely easy, at least it works, maybe not as intended but hardly game breaking.

Handballs OTOH are an absolute lucky dip on where they end up and Iā€™m not sure how you can compare goal kicks to the garbage teleporting.
Each to their own i guess.
For me a 100% goal conversion rate makes the game easy, stale, predictable and boring. Same issues in past AFL games too which I stopped playing due to this issue.

Imagine if in FIFA you score everytime you do a shot. Would be game breaking.

Each to their own i guess.
For me a 100% goal conversion rate makes the game easy, stale, predictable and boring. Same issues in past AFL games too which I stopped playing due to this issue.

Imagine if in FIFA you score everytime you do a shot. Would be game breaking.
I play a lot of two player with my son and we are pretty rubbish in our standard and we are often playing teams that I've modded in bush footy where the top player is about 45 in skills. We kick the odd behind, especially as occasionally we play "No set shot" inside 50 and just try and kick with the A button. Saying that, what happens in the middle of the park is the interesting bit for me. We often have torrid exchanges around tackles and handballs and sloppy play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back