Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2: Pro Team, more like No Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't had a set shot like this for a week, nailed it by a fluke (normally miss it entirely :p

This is one I did miss, ball in play, should have been a regulation shot straight through the middle. Guess who sprayed it ? THIS GUY!!

I love the snap shot animation, but it kills the immersion when the player on the mark continues to stand their, dumbfounded. Should be changed/fix.

Yeah, I’m also on steam and have had this issue for like a week and a half now, impossible to progress in management mode at all.

Super frustrating because I was having an alright time as well
The team at support.bigant.com can get your save file and help.

Playing my first game for a few days. Holy crap this is so much better! Marking animations much more realistic and mark seems to nearly always go to the right player. Only gripe here is those 50-50's at CHF for the AI, I always go for the mark and so does the AI and someone always marks it. Need to see these spill to the ground more often to enhance realism and reduce repetitiveness.

Other main gripe remaining, apart from some AI bugs or glitches which have been around for a while and I assume remain known, is the ruck. I'm losing hitouts 7 to 2 at quarter time, and every single one of those has been to advantage for both teams. My 2 wins were around the ground where winning is too easy, and my 7 losses were in centre bounces where winning with a bad rating ruckman like Nank is way too hard. Need ruck contests to be much more balanced.

Otherwise the only thing stopping me from launching into a career and really smashing this game is the lack of depth of management mode. Hopefully these features can start being added soon as the 'Play Now' replayability is low.

Crashing seems to be more prevalent now for me. I've submitted those crash reports but honestly to be 2 months into a launch and for this to still happen is pretty unacceptable.

Yeh fair enough, people on here are saying they're working hard to fix the issues but given we paid full price for the game and it arrived in this state, people are well within their right to feel aggrieved and express their unhappiness. We pretty much paid full price to help them develop and fix their game. Work that out.

Playing my first game for a few days. Holy crap this is so much better! Marking animations much more realistic and mark seems to nearly always go to the right player. Only gripe here is those 50-50's at CHF for the AI, I always go for the mark and so does the AI and someone always marks it. Need to see these spill to the ground more often to enhance realism and reduce repetitiveness.

Other main gripe remaining, apart from some AI bugs or glitches which have been around for a while and I assume remain known, is the ruck. I'm losing hitouts 7 to 2 at quarter time, and every single one of those has been to advantage for both teams. My 2 wins were around the ground where winning is too easy, and my 7 losses were in centre bounces where winning with a bad rating ruckman like Nank is way too hard. Need ruck contests to be much more balanced.

Otherwise the only thing stopping me from launching into a career and really smashing this game is the lack of depth of management mode. Hopefully these features can start being added soon as the 'Play Now' replayability is low.
100% agree, that's being looked at.

Just saw this on Reddit;

"Fun stat

It's currently late Saturday night (nearly 10pm). It's in the middle of the AFL season and it's a long weekend. This game is a fraction over a month old

On Steam, in the last 24h, the highest number of concurrent online players of AFL 23 is 69 players.

There were three real AFL games today. 6 teams. 22 players per team. 132 actual AFL players. Nearly twice as many people played AFL on a national professional level than played the game on Steam today.

On a side note, hats off to the 18 people who had a crack at Evo 2 and the 3 that dusted off Evo 1.

If Goat Simulator picked up one extra player it would have doubled AFL 23 for the last 24h."

On Steam, in the last 24h, the highest number of concurrent online players of AFL 23 is 69 players.
Hold on…..

I thought the game was pumping with more people playing by the day, no returns and no one trading their copies in?

Surely the analytics don’t lie…..do they? 🤔

100% agree, that's being looked at.

Awesome!

2 quarters further in and the main issues/bugs I've come across are;

• Hitouts as touched on, impossible to win as inferior ruckman and nearly always go to advantage
  • Change player - I'm not sure what exactly I want here, but something about the behaviour needs to change. I'm often holding sprint in one direction assuming I will change to X player, but then it takes me to Y player and I sprint nowhere and the player takes sooo long to recover even after I change player again
  • Ground balls. As others have said, these feel so scripted at times. I'll run straight over the ball for no reason and then a player behind me will pick it up.
  • Still getting the handball direction/power glitch. And player stuck in mud when receiving handball for no apparent reason.
  • Lastly, tackling. Easy enough to lay tackles but the AI gets such clean kicks and handballs out of tackles. Kick it 45m to a pinpoint target or nail a handball backwards to a teammate every time.
  • Kind of related to above point, I think the logical best way to defend in contest in this game would be to use the FIFA style "call defender button". It's way too chaotic and unpredictable with change player to be able to steer your players in the contest to tackle efficiently. I would much rather control a player slightly off the ball to either guard space, OR create an option when it looks like I'll win the clearance. This is how I play Fifa and I assume many others do, as a lot of the art of defending is positioning rather than the coralling/tackling. Also given there really is no 'on-the-ball pressure' in this game there is little to gain by trying to defend the ball carrier, I'd still love to see a coralling option where a player being effectively corraled has hugely reduced kick accuracy, and is forced to kick high over the corral. But obviously not expecting this in AFL 23. Would love to see the 'Call Defender' type button though, it kind of exists anyway if you just change player away from the contest but sometimes would be nice to be able to call the closest player in toward the ball carrier.

Ground balls. As others have said, these feel so scripted at times. I'll run straight over the ball for no reason and then a player behind me will pick it up
  • Still getting the handball direction/power glitch. And player stuck in mud when receiving handball for no apparent reason.

I've noticed the super powered ground handball is back. Granted it doesn't shoot off like a rocket as before, but the ball still either rests on the inside of the boundary line (a player picks it up and takes it over) or rolls over on its own.

I had hoped the mud glitch was eliminated as I thought hours earlier, but I saw it a handful of times in matches tonight.

Only gripe here is those 50-50's at CHF for the AI, I always go for the mark and so does the AI and someone always marks it. Need to see these spill to the ground more often to enhance realism and reduce repetitiveness.

I like the idea, but fear it would then happen in every contest around the ground too often. The last thing I want is an over scripted arm wrestle. But I can see how losing marking contests or always winning them gets old.

Last edited:
Just got to round 1 in 2024 in management mode and I’ve seen when stats come up when lining up for a set shot that it’s rolled over from the year before.
2 mins into round 1 and Charlie Curnow had 67 disposals and 12 goals.
Might be nice to either make it say career stats or to have it reset each season.

Hold on…..

I thought the game was pumping with more people playing by the day, no returns and no one trading their copies in?

Surely the analytics don’t lie…..do they? 🤔

Certainly makes you wonder, I've checked out the stock level for the game at several stores and it's been in stock, have also looked at the inventory online and its available at many. I guess many copies (2nd, 3rd, 10th shipment) were ordered!!!

Just saw this on Reddit;

"Fun stat

It's currently late Saturday night (nearly 10pm). It's in the middle of the AFL season and it's a long weekend. This game is a fraction over a month old

There were three real AFL games today. 6 teams. 22 players per team. 132 actual AFL players. Nearly twice as many people played AFL on a national professional level than played the game on Steam today.

On a side note, hats off to the 18 people who had a crack at Evo 2 and the 3 that dusted off Evo 1.

If Goat Simulator picked up one extra player it would have doubled AFL 23 for the last 24h."

Proud to be 1 of the 69
And 1 of the 18 for Evo 2 lol!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw this on Reddit;

"Fun stat

Don't know how accurate this is but according to this, the peak number of players all time for AFL 23 was 254 while for AFL Evolution 2 was 57.

1686410508820.png 1686410472964.png

screenshots & data taken from:
AFL23: AFL 23 - Steam Charts
AFL Evo 2: AFL Evolution 2 - Steam Charts

I'm on ps5 and have not played a single game without crashing since the latest patch. Anybody else having issues?

I'm on ps5 and have not played a single game without crashing since the latest patch. Anybody else having issues?
So weird, I’ve played a whole management mode season, plus draft and trades and then 2 rounds of the next season, in the last week and a bit and had I think 3 crashes over like 29 games and off season features

We’re fast approaching the mark of 2 months post (original) release date. Launching with bugs is one thing, but launching with a near-broken title that still remains buggy and feature-incomplete at this stage is something else altogether. At this pace, it will seemingly take until the 3 month mark before we have the complete feature-set.

And are we still sticking to the “delayed shipment” story for Xbox? Surely the 78 year old bloke towing the shipping containers in his rowboat would have arrived from Europe by now.

Happy to accept that mistakes happen. But I will not support a business that blatantly lies to their consumer base, especially when the consumer base is providing an “in good faith” relationship to said business. The gumption with which the lies (and continual deflection) were delivered is the cherry on top of this diarrhoea sundae. Like they took a gamble that things would be fixed within a timeframe that they could pass off as “shipping delays”, and following up that misjudgement by preaching ongoing denial, spitting pieces of egg out of their mouth as it runs down their face.

Regardless of where you stand on having patience for the game to be fixed or not, there should be no tolerance for this type of behaviour from any business.
K.

Would have thought the greater population would be using consoles rather than PC gaming.

Depending on the nation, the more affluent, the more Console is the gaming platform of choice, Sports games are skewed even further to Console.

The market for Sports games on Steam in Australia is insignificant, to the point of not really being commercial, if it were not for the Academy, we would not make a Steam version of AFL.

India on the other hand has a massive PC and only a few hundred thousand PS5's for example.

Publicly available Steam stats are always to be taken with a grain, perhaps bag, of salt as they only work for those applications that use the Steam API's, we use PlayFab for our online, not Steam.

More people are adopting PC gaming due to cost of consoles continually to rise that you might as well build a PC. Steam sales are amazingly cheap.

If the stats are to be believed Steam has more monthly active than both consoles.

The problem with sport games is games like PC version of NBA2K are still “last gen” versions that are largely roster updates and put no anti cheat online. Of course the playerbase will never be serious there.

It annoys me.

I think the crashing just Radom cause i am playing management mode with no crashers just finished one season on to my second playing on Ps5

It's not so much random as doing the same and getting the same.

Of course we should rectify the issue, and the team will if they can replicate it, but if the same steps are repeated then the same outcome will occur.

The team at support.bigant.com have tools that can identify issues and rectify them, even on save files in progress.

Depending on the nation, the more affluent, the more Console is the gaming platform of choice, Sports games are skewed even further to Console.

The market for Sports games on Steam in Australia is insignificant, to the point of not really being commercial, if it were not for the Academy, we would not make a Steam version of AFL.

India on the other hand has a massive PC and only a few hundred thousand PS5's for example.

Publicly available Steam stats are always to be taken with a grain, perhaps bag, of salt as they only work for those applications that use the Steam API's, we use PlayFab for our online, not Steam.
Yeah I would have thought in Aus most that would play AFL would be in the console market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back