Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2: Pro Team, more like No Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah fair call but if they don’t offer at least 1 Legend in say the 1st pack opening then thats pretty ordinary to me. Least they can do for some compensation for those that have waited all this time to try the mode.
Dunno if we'd also want everyone's first team to have a superstar lineup from the get go.
I get the compensation angle... but maybe a free pack, rather than a free legend card/pack... so they would still need to build to something instead of starting with it.

I'd hope that the Seasons will open up new cards (as well as challenges)... and that's more where people get the longevity from the game.

Dunno if we'd also want everyone's first team to have a superstar lineup from the get go.
I get the compensation angle... but maybe a free pack, rather than a free legend card/pack... so they would still need to build to something instead of starting with it.

Hmm I would hope that one singular Legend among a base group of players rated in the 70s/80s shouldnt add too much of a boost HOWEVER, in this game they havent done the best job of actually differentiating the feel between genuine superstars or your standard player so who knows how it would work 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hmm I would hope that one singular Legend among a base group of players rated in the 70s/80s shouldnt add too much of a boost HOWEVER, in this game they havent done the best job of actually differentiating the feel between genuine superstars or your standard player so who knows how it would work 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is something that really makes me chuckle at the feasibility of Pro Team... the animations and playing style of the players are so generic that getting a 'special' pull really doesn't mean anything.

It really should be something you would add well down the track on a future edition, where you've had a chance to iterate and build the animations library. The reported axing of a genuine career mode in favour of it was already a red flag that this game was attempting to be a money grab.

This is something that really makes me chuckle at the feasibility of Pro Team... the animations and playing style of the players are so generic that getting a 'special' pull really doesn't mean anything.

It really should be something you would add well down the track on a future edition, where you've had a chance to iterate and build the animations library. The reported axing of a genuine career mode in favour of it was already a red flag that this game was attempting to be a money grab.
100000%

There is very little difference in the way of skill of the players let alone animations, at least on NBA there is a clear difference in the animation and style.

Yeah agreed. Plus the archetypes seem to have made zero difference in players skill anyhow so who really knows why it was added in. Unless that was another thing they choose to blame Champion Data for also 😅

Yeah fair call but if they don’t offer at least 1 Legend in say the 1st pack opening then thats pretty ordinary to me. Least they can do for some compensation for those that have waited all this time to try the mode.
The game is always online. You can't even get into the game without being online with an online account. They know exactly when and how much everyone has played. They could give out a free pack to everyone that played in the first week, or month. Or could give a few free packs for those that are regular players since the launch.

They won't though. When (if) it launches, it'll be launched with an aroma of "You peasants are so lucky we've bestowed this game mode upon you."

Just don't buy packs..

Simples..

You don't need to buy packs to be able to play the mode, no different to 2k or EAFC.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is categorically wrong and just wants short term success instead of actually playing these modes properly.
A better solution is just don’t buy the game at all.

I'm squarely in the camp of hating microtransactions in games like UT etc. People close to me have been impacted by gambling addictions; one specifically with FIFA Ultimate Team, so I'll never spend a cent on that stuff regardless of the game. I understand why it's there and that it's something that unless a court ruling officially classifies it as gambling and locks it away behind gambling laws/adults only etc. it will never go away.

Having said that, if I can play this "offline/against AI" and actually build a decent squad without TOO much grind (eg. like a videogame/playable version of Dream Team/SuperCoach) I will be happy to give it the time of day. I've put in about 400 hours to management mode now and am at the end of my tether (only so many times Hawthorn can win 10 in a row), so will probably give this a whirl for a few months if/when it comes out and if the gambling aspect isn't too large. If

Do I wish that focus was on management mode and solo player career? 1000%. NACON would 100% be licking their lips at sucking the money out of our tiny audience. My wish would be that it comes out, makes zilch from microtransactions and they can the idea and concentrate on the gameplay/offline modes; but we all know what's going to happen in that case. I sincerely hate that these modes have the "don't want to work hard for a good squad? Smack $100 on mum's credit card and we'll give you a chance at getting someone good". But I know I can't tell people how to spend their money and if they want to spend it on that, I just hope they have a good support system around them and enough financial literacy to understand when enough is enough.

Just want this to come out so we can move forward, see what we've been given, and either pack up and walk out of the thread (until next time) or actually go back to the peaceful days where we didn't need a cup of milo and chill.

I wonder if any Nacon or BA people revist the thread to see what current opinions are :p

I will be happy to give it the time of day. I've put in about 400 hours to management mode now and am at the end of my tether (only so many times Hawthorn can win 10 in a row), so will probably give this a whirl for a few months if/when it comes out and if the gambling aspect isn't too large. If

I'm around the 66 hour mark on PS5. Which isn't a true reflection on actual game time (I've run a lot of simulations lol). My pc total is high - 285.5 hours but the fortnightly average dips every now and then. EG: It was down to 2.1 hours on Friday, but since then it's shot back up to 8.5 (been watching AI V AI and also letting Geelong getting leads of 100-200 before I storm home and end up thrashing them by 100+ myself).

Last edited:
I wonder if any Nacon or BA people revist the thread to see what current opinions are :p
They'd certainly lurk the thread. It's getting just as hostile/much the same over on the BA thread too though - JNT knows the communication is the part that's making people blow up the most and even he has brought it up. Clearly out of his hands and Ross/NACON are just throwing him to the wolves so to speak on what they allow him to talk about as they somehow think silence is the best approach.

They'd certainly lurk the thread. It's getting just as hostile/much the same over on the BA thread too though - JNT knows the communication is the part that's making people blow up the most and even he has brought it up. Clearly out of his hands and Ross/NACON are just throwing him to the wolves so to speak on what they allow him to talk about as they somehow think silence is the best approach.
I know I called him out for some snark a few pages back but I do feel for the guy. He's been tossed out into a no win situation.

Very intelligently they put him out there as a front facing employee rather than Ross who lets emotion take over far too often, but then they've shackled and gagged him to the point where his role is basically limited to passing on the odd suggestion or bug to the support team. They've basically made him a feedback form with a pulse.

Last edited:
Said it before but had BA just been honest and direct from the beginning with all the games issues then we wouldnt be where we are now with them. Its not even about being pro or anti Big Ant as much as its about conducting bad business and leaving your customer base in the dark. Not sure what they were thinking would happen by ignoring everyone but habits dont lie, 4 half-baked games and counting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said it before but had BA just been honest and direct from the beginning with all the games issues then we wouldnt be where we are now with them. Its not even about being pro or anti Big Ant as much as its about conducting bad business and leaving your customer base in the dark. Not sure what they were thinking would happen by ignoring everyone but habits dont lie, 4 half-baked games and counting.

I've had posts deleted discussing the state of their other games, though I do think it is relevant to this one.

They have released the last few as 'early access' (as a last minute pivot, mind you). They are playing with fire if the improvements to those titles over the early access journey are as minimal as they have been to AFL - then they may well have some serious questions to answer with regards to misleading advertising.

Given the history, it's hard to see that early access label as anything other than a shield to try and placate the disappointed consumers.

I've had posts deleted discussing the state of their other games, though I do think it is relevant to this one.

They have released the last few as 'early access' (as a last minute pivot, mind you). They are playing with fire if the improvements to those titles over the early access journey are as minimal as they have been to AFL - then they may well have some serious questions to answer with regards to misleading advertising.

Given the history, it's hard to see that early access label as anything other than a shield to try and placate the disappointed consumers.

AFL should have been released the same (beta) AND at $49.95. Outside of the graphics it's almost borderline shovelware.

Did laugh at one "review" describing the Rugby tackling ala the teleporting we've had in AFL 23. I was like, I've seen that before!! :p

AFL should have been released the same (beta) AND at $49.95. Outside of the graphics it's almost borderline shovelware.

Did laugh at one "review" describing the Rugby tackling ala the teleporting we've had in AFL 23. I was like, I've seen that before!! :p

Realistically though, the state of the game at release to now is no where near satisfactory for an early access title that is clearly so feature shallow (especially at the price being charged).

I will be genuinely stunned if the other games go through a typical early access process of meaningful updates and content additions.

100% agree with that. Coming out and saying "yeah we've got it wrong, we need some more time to sort this out" is a bad look of course; but announcing and then flat out silence is even worse. I guess they're lucky in a sense it's just a small demographic they're aiming this game towards and it's not an international blockbuster as there'd be a much larger fallout. I still hope they can pull it together as I truly do enjoy the game, but I'm resigned to the fact that I shouldn't even bother expecting that any meaningful updates/changes will even be considered until the next release (if that happens).

100% agree with that. Coming out and saying "yeah we've got it wrong, we need some more time to sort this out" is a bad look of course; but announcing and then flat out silence is even worse.

Exactly right. At the end of the day, nobody wants to look incompetent, especially at work, but it still is way better to admit a mistake was made and try rectifying it as opposed to sweeping it under the rug.

Realistically though, the state of the game at release to now is no where near satisfactory for an early access title that is clearly so feature shallow (especially at the price being charged).

I will be genuinely stunned if the other games go through a typical early access process of meaningful updates and content additions.

I dont see what they offer as ‘early access’ anywhere near as much as I see it as ‘unpaid play tester’ which is remarkable considering they know they cant produce quality results by a deadline. We’d all pay $20 extra to play, say GTA 6 a few days early, but for AFL 23 I’m gonna need some compensation 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back