Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played a few games this afternoon on hard with the latest patch.

Love both on the run and set shot goal kicking now, Iā€™m actually missing shots if I donā€™t time it.

With set shots Iā€™ve noticed that I tend to press circle quite early once it reaches the blue, so after a few shots drifting to the right (with a right footed player), I made the decision to aim the reticle towards the left goal post, while also adjusting for wind and that has worked a treat. Didnā€™t need do that before with set shots when it was piss easy, so this change with set shots is welcomed as it made me think about what was going wrong and forced me to make adjustments.

One thing I would love to see is the on the run goal kicking indicator be a bit larger, as someone who plays in broadcast normal and sometimes far it is kinda hard to see. Or you know what add some colour to it.

First time itā€™s happened but I was able to get in a pretty important jumping smoother which saved a goal, a perfectly timed tap of r1 saved me from conceding a late goal heading into half time.

Handballing is more responsive Iā€™ve found, and didnā€™t have any random handballs go 25m. I thing I would love to be able to adjust is the speed in which it charges up, as I would make it quicker.

Was able to get 9 tackles in for the whole match and most of them happened after the center bounce (holding r1 for homing and pressing tackle works a treat for me) (3.5 min qtrs)

Got paid a push in the back and had one holding the ball paid for me, which was nice

Manual player switching hasnā€™t gotten betterā€¦ā€¦.but still alright enough to be able to switch players in time and take around 11 intercept marks from j.Henry in my def 50

Player positioning in marking contest and jostling is in my opinion really needed and hope it makes a appreance soon.
Also think that if both players time the mark at the same time the ball should go to the ground. At the moment I think it just goes to the players with the highest stats.

Snaps and banana goals are still not working properly. Iā€™ll go perpendicular and stop the cursor in the correct spot, and sometimes it will go in, other times it will go out on the full. Also not able to have quick snaps for goal in pressure. Most snaps lag and take too long.

Also think that if both players time the mark at the same time the ball should go to the ground. At the moment I think it just goes to the players with the highest stats.

Bit too black and white but largely agree. But that's where jostling can come in. Two evenly skilled and sized players the jostle is a break even so ball spills. Harry mckay vs Salem mckay jostles him out the way and marks it. Unless Salem has clear position advantage to start, then the jostling turns it 50 50 and it spills.

This would be the ideal mechanic imo

A few thoughts after playing a few single player games on hardest and a couple of local co-op against my brother. There's a lot to like but a few issues I have still.

1. I like the new on the run shots in concept more than in practice, although I do think they work great for shots when you've got some clear space. Overall it's just good that not every shot goes in. Having said that, I do think it needs some sort of tweaking, mainly to do with shots closer to goal or when under pressure. Being run down when you're 15m out directly in front because you're forced to hold the shoot button long enough to not put it out on the full has nothing to do with skill and is just frustrating. Also the way the ball rockets off the player's foot with full power also looks pretty silly but I guess that's just a consequence of the new system. For now the on the run goalkicking from AFL Live remains the gold standard for me.

2. Rucks in player v player games are way too important. Pretty much every game against my brother, the person with the better ruck wins 95% of the hitouts and nearly all the clearances. Combine that with the positioning of the wingers at the centre bounce and the person with the better ruck is almost impossible to stop.

3. I'm probably in the minority that loved handballing in this game before this patch, so much so that I often over handballed. But for whatever reason the handballing seems worse after this latest patch. I've only played about 4 games so I'll need to play further but unlike previously they were missing easy targets constantly and AI teammates seemed worse at positioning themselves to receive them.

Still really liking the game despite these issues (and some others which many others have touched upon like player switching and players stuck in the protected area). Just waiting for management mode to be fleshed out a bit more and have some of its issues ironed out before I dive into that. (And player rating editing pls).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying to say with the kicking 100% agree.
A few thoughts after playing a few single player games on hardest and a couple of local co-op against my brother. There's a lot to like but a few issues I have still.

1. I like the new on the run shots in concept more than in practice, although I do think they work great for shots when you've got some clear space. Overall it's just good that not every shot goes in. Having said that, I do think it needs some sort of tweaking, mainly to do with shots closer to goal or when under pressure. Being run down when you're 15m out directly in front because you're forced to hold the shoot button long enough to not put it out on the full has nothing to do with skill and is just frustrating. Also the way the ball rockets off the player's foot with full power also looks pretty silly but I guess that's just a consequence of the new system. For now the on the run goalkicking from AFL Live remains the gold standard for me.

2. Rucks in player v player games are way too important. Pretty much every game against my brother, the person with the better ruck wins 95% of the hitouts and nearly all the clearances. Combine that with the positioning of the wingers at the centre bounce and the person with the better ruck is almost impossible to stop.

3. I'm probably in the minority that loved handballing in this game before this patch, so much so that I often over handballed. But for whatever reason the handballing seems worse after this latest patch. I've only played about 4 games so I'll need to play further but unlike previously they were missing easy targets constantly and AI teammates seemed worse at positioning themselves to receive them.

Still really liking the game despite these issues (and some others which many others have touched upon like player switching and players stuck in the protected area). Just waiting for management mode to be fleshed out a bit more and have some of its issues ironed out before I dive into that. (And player rating editing pls).

Maybe thereā€™s another patch coming with tactics separate as Ross hasnā€™t posted yet!

:D
Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

I must admit that I've never seen a state match (WAFL, etc) but do the umpires have the standard AFL logo on their uniforms or are they different? As in the game it's the standard AFL logo, which I'd imagine should mimic real life.

I must admit that I've never seen a state match (WAFL, etc) but do the umpires have the standard AFL logo on their uniforms or are they different? As in the game it's the standard AFL logo, which I'd imagine should mimic real life.
different, wafl umpires wear this: IMG_5265.jpeg

Ps5 latest patch on Play now.

I lost 0.8 (Haw) to 9.4 (PA) on hardest with 5 min quarters.

I may have to use another camera angle or get my eyes checked because for the life of me I can not see the "on the run" goal kicking meter. I see a tiny bar fill up underneath me but it's VERY small. I use Side normal, FOV 100, so that may be the issue. Still, I can't find a better angle.

Love the new set shots. Very risky kicking from 50 but that's good. The set shot bar still glitches and stays on the screen for a while after some goals though, covering the radar. Speaking of the radar, I'd love for the colours to be more noticeably different.

No one on the line for set shots after the siren and a few other things that have been mentioned here were my only other qualms. Still can't set roles as the away team. Switching not working well. Etc.

Other than that, (and speccies online still not working šŸ˜‰), I'm enjoying Play now. Look forward to doing a career after it gets some love and attentionšŸ‘

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back