Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

serious question, have all the other sports games that allow it have the player stats generated by the official stats partner of the league?

or was it just based on the respective dev teams workshopping at coming up with the numbers?

I genuinely don't know the answer.
Doesn't matter . It all should be editable. If champion data said no to editing then big ant should of ****ed them off. Even we ccan come up with player ratings better than CD.

Also customization is a massive part of what makes sports games fun. Take that away and all you get is a buggy mess that you can't been improve like now.

The fact that papely is top 10 players in the comp here is a joke.

because the stats used in management mode are link to champion data, so it is actually based on proper data collected by the leagues official data supplier. I'm not sure if other sports do that or if they just have a round table discussion looking at some metrics to come up with an answer on their own or not, in which case users being able to edit them isn't as much of an issue IMO.

Whether we agree with the end data results is a different matter.

But I believe the other concern is it would have implications when it comes to the players salary's / contracts in game.
Another issue is why didn't big ant say this themselves ?? Their lack of transparency is horrible. Instead they have their social media influencers do it for them

Doesn't matter . It all should be editable. If champion data said no to editing then big ant should of ****ed them off. Even we ccan come up with player ratings better than CD.

Also customization is a massive part of what makes sports games fun. Take that away and all you get is a buggy mess that you can't been improve like now.

Different people have different opinions on which players belong in the top 10 etc, so if BigAnt came up with their ratings people still wouldnā€™t be happy.

Using champion data was probably the best way for them to take that away and use offical ratings & rankings. This way there is no bias or anything because itā€™s using the actual stats etc and maybe thatā€™s why itā€™s not editable

Different people have different opinions on which players belong in the top 10 etc, so if BigAnt came up with their ratings people still wouldnā€™t be happy.

Using champion data was probably the best way for them to take that away and use offical ratings & rankings. This way there is no bias or anything because itā€™s using the actual stats etc and maybe thatā€™s why itā€™s not editable

Oooor you do what every other sports game does and allow users to edit as they see fit.

CD preventing them from allowing that outwardly sounds ridiculous.

of course it matters, Champion Data being involved means the stats are licensed / part of the AFL license.

you can't just leverage that part of a contract / licensing agreement from a major sporting organization to then say "oh but here you can change the factual data to whatever you want"

That just doesn't happen.

Like I said, whether we agree with Champion Datas rankings is a totally different argument, but you cannot have a licensed partnership in a game to then just totally discard it, that's not how these things work.

Which is why I ask, for these other sports games, are the FIFA and NBA 2K stats for example based on licensed data or is it a workshop of a dev team looking at their own metrics and forming a view? Because if its that, then yeah you should be able to 100% manipulate it.

Based on your theory we may as well be allowed to change the ball to Burley, sponsors on official club guernseys and the like.. Just doesn't work like that.

Another issue is why didn't big ant say this themselves ?? Their lack of transparency is horrible. Instead they have their social media influencers do it for them
they have said it in public domain... otherwise how would I have known it?

And I am not their social media influencer btw, I have had plenty of negative points to make on various topics of the game, stop trying to create a narrative.

And I am not their social media influencer btw, I have had plenty of negative points to make on various topics of the game, stop trying to create a narrative.
This.

Love your work, I will personally take this up with the team today.

It's not a matter of injuries being in the game, it's a matter of the level of them.

Suspensions are debatable - are we to suspend those that have a track record of tribunal appearances? Roll a dice? Happy to hear thoughts.
I think we have to gamify it, something like +1 week for every suspension over the season and it gets wiped the next.

Suspension in a game can be pretty frustrating, you're not going to be trying to lay a tackle checking the jumper number first the majority of the time.

Genuine question..
If the steam patch was rolled back from last night, why wasnā€™t this possible when the day 1 patch apparently broke the game ?

Would that have made a difference? there was still a solid group in here complaining about the state of the "Frankenstein build".....! Same same!

For all the talk of people dropping off it's not the actual reality - the analytics say that there are more people playing each day. Returns are non-existent, as are trade-ins.
I can tell you for a fact thatā€™s a lie. I returned my game to EB and the staff member told me 2 others had done the same that week, not trade-ins but actual returns.

Iā€™m not sure which reality youā€™re living in but itā€™s safe to say you and a few others are in a different realm entirely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why I ask, for these other sports games, are the FIFA and NBA 2K stats for example based on licensed data or is it a workshop of a dev team looking at their own metrics and forming a view? Because if its that, then yeah you should be able to 100% manipulate it.

Itā€™s the Dev Team that allocates the ratings in those franchises. If you follow 2Kā€™s twitter whenever they release the ratings throughout the season, if enough people complain about one players rating it gets changed pretty quickly. Nothing against BA but if theres another AFL game in the future I hope they flog off CD, its a good idea in hindsight but clearly ruffles lots of feathers!

Would that have made a difference? there was still a solid group in here complaining about the state of the "Frankenstein build".....! Same same!

Talk about disingenuous. He isn't referring to the purported 'Frankenstein' build, he is talking about the day 0 build.

I can tell you for a fact thatā€™s a lie. I returned my game to EB and the staff member told me 2 others had done the same that week, not trade-ins but actual returns.

Iā€™m not sure which reality youā€™re living in but itā€™s safe to say you and a few others are in a different realm entirely.
Man itā€™s becoming apparent a lot of stuff big ant fed us was a load of s%#t. This is where a lot of the frustration lies, people can keep defending big ant all they want but this is all there fault. Ross pisses on anyone whoā€™s negative about the game and with that level of delusion I donā€™t see it ever being what we want.

Irregardless, game still wouldnā€™t have been as broken as it was. So would have made quite the difference in regards to future patches

I'm with you, I have never understood the desire to manipulate the ratings, feels like it defeats the purpose if i can manipulate the game in such a way.
If it defeats the purpose for you then don't edit it ? At least give us a choice to edit it or not. That's what the people want

Itā€™s the Dev Team that allocates the ratings in those franchises. If you follow 2Kā€™s twitter whenever they release the ratings throughout the season, if enough people complain about one players rating it gets changed pretty quickly. Nothing against BA but if theres another AFL game in the future I hope they flog off CD, its a good idea in hindsight but clearly ruffles lots of feathers!
ok nice, I didn't know that!

So based on that with 2K for example, then it makes sense as to why players stats may be editable in all game modes as their is no official license for them so not bound to anything.

Honestly its a lose/lose for any developer with player stats as it is all subjective to each individuals opinion.

Either way people aren't happy in some capacity, it's just the nature of player rankings in games I guess.

Mate, how different is the current build of the game to the one you had access to pre-launch?

I think we have to gamify it, something like +1 week for every suspension over the season and it gets wiped the next.

Suspension in a game can be pretty frustrating, you're not going to be trying to lay a tackle checking the jumper number first the majority of the time.

Not really any different to injuries though? Upside of suspensions is you can take the risk of challenging but with the risk of getting extra weeks, risk v reward again.

When did they say that CD won't let them allow us to edit stats ? All I've seen is then ignoring this question. If they actually said that then I'll understand. It sucks but I'll understand

Yes you are not their influencer officially but obviously you have more contact with them than us. Hence why I said that. Would like to hear big ant come out and be more transparent and honest. You're a lot more transparent than them

If it defeats the purpose for you then don't edit it ? At least give us a choice to edit it or not. That's what the people want
That's not what the people want, that's what YOU and no doubt a large number of people want. Which is totally fine.

But there is probably an equal amount who like the licensed stats as well.

There is valid arguments to go either way.

But for this version of AFL23, the stats as we currently know them are licensed to Champion Data and therefore can't be edited in Management mode. Maybe that changes down the track, who knows.

You definitely don't have to agree with it, but that is just how it is for this iteration.

When did they say that CD won't let them allow us to edit stats ? All I've seen is then ignoring this question. If they actually said that then I'll understand. It sucks but I'll understand

Yes you are not their influencer officially but obviously you have more contact with them than us. Hence why I said that. Would like to hear big ant come out and be more transparent and honest. You're a lot more transparent than them

I agree, there are plenty of topics covered in this thread that I feel could have been knocked on the head really quickly if a bit more communication went out on it.

I think there are definite lessons to be learnt there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back