Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're giving people a day to get familiar with the change before changing up the footedness, accuracy and wind.

What does this even mean? You are letting people 'get familiar' with something that is inherently not working as intended before you make it functional? šŸ˜‚

I don't need to explain myself to you that's why I just liked your other comment, it's funny to me. I put in the hours.
Yet, you wrote us an entire novel explaining how youā€™re built different which was a nightmare to read btw (try paragraphs in future).

Iā€™m an extremely competitive gamer but I also have no issues in admitting when someone is clearly better than me (which you may well be) but based on my connection issues against you, I canā€™t say it was an even contest.

I donā€™t recall you ever getting on the mic either but I also went AKF the last 2qtrs in case you hadnā€™t noticed because like I said, the game was unplayable.

New patch feels great - like the new goal kicking meter. Not fluffing so many 40-50m set shots anymore (here I was about to trade out Koschitzke for being a dud). Medium just feels like it's getting too easy now - are the difficulties still being played around with?

Yet, you wrote us an entire novel explaining how youā€™re built different which was a nightmare to read btw (try paragraphs in future).

Iā€™m an extremely competitive gamer but I also have no issues in admitting when someone is clearly better than me (which you may well be) but based on my connection issues against you, I canā€™t say it was an even contest.

I donā€™t recall you ever getting on the mic either but I also went AKF the last 2qtrs in case you hadnā€™t noticed because like I said, the game was unplayable.

If the game was soooOoOoO unplayable, you couldā€™ve left the game. Weird behaviour sticking around AFK because of ā€œgame unplayableā€.

If the game was soooOoOoO unplayable, you couldā€™ve left the game. Weird behaviour sticking around AFK because of ā€œgame unplayableā€.
I feel like I missed a lot. Was there a 2 page blowup about some fella's internet or something?

What does this even mean? You are letting people 'get familiar' with something that is inherently not working as intended before you make it functional? šŸ˜‚

Truly a bizarre comment. There's no world where that could be the desired outcome. Confused the shit out of me trying to use it, and if I wasn't on bigfooty and then tomorrow it had a whole new mechanic I'd just assume the game was buggy again.

Testing the new set shots by purposely trying to mistime the kick but the ball still goes dead straight.
Just want a realistic representation of goal kicking accuracy instead of getting score lines of 10-0-60 every game.
I understand that but that's the same as the old system, I wouldn't call it worse

What???
Just fix it. Makes 0 sense to delay fixing it a day to give us the chance to get familiar with aesthetics.

Well..actually, I think Big Ant might know a bit more about what theyā€™re doing then say us people who arenā€™t a part of their development team. If that makes sense. I mean itā€™s easy to assume we know better. But Iā€™m thinking what Ross said has some meaning behind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What???
Just fix it. Makes 0 sense to delay fixing it a day to give us the chance to get familiar with aesthetics.

This is why I don't get the fellating over the fact they are doing daily patches; they're all very clearly rush jobs that aren't being tested to an appropriate level. They are very much just winging it, which is crazy for a retail product.

Well..actually, I think Big Ant might know a bit more about what theyā€™re doing then say us people who arenā€™t a part of their development team. If that makes sense. I mean itā€™s easy to assume we know better. But Iā€™m thinking what Ross said has some meaning behind it.
Like Ross has saidā€¦ they check the analytics and balance the game from there.
But still, No matter which way they released the goal kicking, weā€™d have people say itā€™s ā€˜brokenā€™ā€¦ either with it being updated in small increments, or one big overhaul that people havenā€™t gotten used to yet.

The marketing around this game just keeps getting better.

Like, who outside this thread will know what Ross said and that the "plan", such as it is, is that a proper fix is still coming and all that was changed was the look.

So you think that bringing in updated aesthetics with a broken mechanic was the true intention? Any other game company would wait to fix the broken mechanic before updating aesthetics.

BA are mending aesthetics and patching them because they simply haven't completed fixing the mechanic. No two ways about it.

Last edited:
Here is the video for the Richmond vs Bulldogs game from stream.

New goal kicking HUD
Clock counting up
3.5 min quarter on hardest.

Epic finish.

Just watched some of your video what camera settings do you use? Much better then end to end and difficulty settings?

I'm not sure anything Ross has said has had truth behind it.

• First game delayed only due to xbox issues
  • then game released poorly due only to day 1 patch
  • then one week timeline given to have everything introduced
  • three weeks later still waiting
  • tactics promised a week ago still waiting
  • between all this still complaining about whingers, demanding people submit bug reports instead of publicly bagging his game and act as beta testers who didn't sign up to do so.
  • AND comparing to EA and 2k, gloating about sales numbers, stating that this will be the best afl game ever.

I still believe in the game and hope it gets where it has potential to, but it's very hard to take Ross at face value on anything anymore.

Because I donā€™t quit games. Plenty of other things to do to pass the time.

Because I donā€™t quit games. Plenty of other things to do to pass the time.

Whenever I get thrashed in Fifa I don't go AFK. I just try ridiculous tactics like getting the goalie involved in more attempted runs! Which results in getting thrashed more lol.

Here is the video for the Richmond vs Bulldogs game from stream.

New goal kicking HUD
Clock counting up
3.5 min quarter on hardest.

Epic finish.

It's much better, but there are still quite a few consistently annoying and unrealistic/unenjoyable things going on.

The centre clearances are ridiculous. I get that he's not winning the tap for whatever reason, but no way should the "winning the tap" team simply 2 possession clear the ball into their i50 EVERY time. At best the winning ruckmans tap should directly hit a target about 50% of the time, with the rest being indiscriminate or wrong placement.
And even when the taps go straight to a team mate, they shouldn't be able to waltz it out of the centre every single time.

I get that there were complaints about multiple balls up earlier on, but now that things have changed, multiple ball ups are necessary - I wonder if this "programming" is being done to avoid secondary balls up which attract a crowd (rather than the 6/6/6).

Another issue is the defending - the spekky function is waay over powered, but I understand why he uses it all the time, because it works, as opposed to the lucky dip of the painful 1v1 shuffle animation.
It's telling that you have no idea who wins the marking contest until one player walks back to take the kick - there's no "winning the contest" animation or anything other than two guys putting hands up for the mark and one guy getting it.
Spoiling should be much more powerful, and the AI should be using it a lot more.

And the whole game feels like it's falling into Evo1/2 territory with its isolated 1v1s and avoidance of larger packs forming.
Some of those kick outs (by Michaels) was painful, as there were like 3 options only, all with 1v1 matchups. At least Evo allowed you to have a spare man as the get out kick to the pocket.

And where's the rest of what makes footy, footy?

Where's the around the ground ball ups, the boundary throw ins, the high tackles, push in the backs, throwing the ball, pretty much any free kicks? All these things above may not be the prettiest, but they are the thing that separate real footy from end to end basketball, which is what this game feels like when watching it.

On a good trajectory, but a long way to go before it truly feels like real life AFL.

Just watched some of your video what camera settings do you use? Much better then end to end and difficulty settings?
I play on hardest with 3.5 min quarters.

The camera I am using is Side far with the camera height at 44 and the FOV at 50.

I have found this camera angle to be a bit better for me personally. I did try end to end the first couple of weeks and there are some definite advantages there when seeing your targets down the field, I felt I was losing a bit of control when the camera swung around, and footy being a turn over game, it happens a lot more than 2k for example.

For what it is worth I have seen a few people ask me about the camera and then they changed to what I was using and mentioned the game felt so much different (in a good way) That could all just be a bit of luck / coincidence though. There is a lot of personal preference for these camera settings I reckon.

It's much better, but there are still quite a few consistently annoying and unrealistic/unenjoyable things going on.

The centre clearances are ridiculous. I get that he's not winning the tap for whatever reason, but no way should the "winning the tap" team simply 2 possession clear the ball into their i50 EVERY time. At best the winning ruckmans tap should directly hit a target about 50% of the time, with the rest being indiscriminate or wrong placement.
And even when the taps go straight to a team mate, they shouldn't be able to waltz it out of the centre every single time.

I get that there were complaints about multiple balls up earlier on, but now that things have changed, multiple ball ups are necessary - I wonder if this "programming" is being done to avoid secondary balls up which attract a crowd (rather than the 6/6/6).

Another issue is the defending - the spekky function is waay over powered, but I understand why he uses it all the time, because it works, as opposed to the lucky dip of the painful 1v1 shuffle animation.
It's telling that you have no idea who wins until one player walks back to take the kick - there's no "winning the contest" animation or anything other than two guys putting hands up for the mark and one guy getting it.
Spoiling should be much more powerful, and the AI should be using it a lot more.

And the whole game feels like it's falling into Evo1/2 territory with its isolated 1v1s and avoidance of larger packs forming.
Some of those kick outs (by Michaels) was painful, as there were like 3 options only, all with 1v1 matchups. At least Evo allowed you to have a spare man as the get out kick to the pocket.

And where's the rest of what makes footy, footy?

Where's the around the ground ball ups, the boundary throw ins, the high tackles, push in the backs, throwing the ball, pretty much any free kicks? All these things above may not be the prettiest, but they are the thing that separate real footy from end to end basketball, which is what this game feels like when watching it.

On a good trajectory, but a long way to go before it truly feels like real life AFL.

I think some of what you mentioned will be fixed (hopefully) the minute tactics are introduced, especially when it comes to kick outs.

Centre bounces I would love to see some tactics based around this too with player positioning. being able to have a few pre set formations where you might be more attacking or defending depending on situation.

Definitely have plenty of ball ups and boundary throw ins in my games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back