Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a few of games on Steam, pretty frustrating. I know there's rough edges but this feels a bit more like the devs being avant-garde with the sliders in the last patch (or whatever the devs use for tweaking).

Kicking definitely feels like it is taking longer and I was noticing that (consistently) in general play the AI would have a cluster of players running with the ball carrier while your AI teammates just stood around in position. If you tackled and the ball spilled anywhere other than the middle or near a goal square very little was achieved.

The behaviour you had during the week where you could handball to a teammate and they would keep running is gone - we're back to the WW days of the player turning to face the ball carrier, thinking 'cool, I guess I'll turn around then. And after that, I guess I better accelerate. And then whaaa? Tackled! How?!?'.

Players freezing on receipt of the ball and 50m rocket handballs over the head - these two quirks are getting pretty tiresome.

I say all this bc I love the game, at some point in the future it will be great. And we took a big step forward during the week. Gargh!
I thought the game "offline" was at its most fun, last weekend. Went backwards, this week, when they took out the tackle evasions, returned it to the primitive tackled to the ground mechanic every time. The wrestling standing up tackle was a great innovation, and they seemingly only took it out, because it was a "easy way out" solution to the lack of teammate support issue, but makes things super boring and unrealistic.

I thought the game "offline" was at its most fun, last weekend. Went backwards, this week, when they took out the tackle evasions, returned it to the primitive tackled to the ground mechanic every time. The wrestling standing up tackle was a great innovation, and they seemingly only took it out, because it was a "easy way out" solution to the lack of teammate support issue, but makes things super boring and unrealistic.
You can still get rid of the ball in a tackle. I personally wasn’t a fan of the evade tackles, happened too often, was unrealistic.

The marking/spoiling system seriously needs some work put into it. What use is the vibration when timing doesn’t matter anyway and it’s just who the game chooses which is usually the ai. Body position in contests and marking stats seemingly make 0 difference at all. Multiplied by the whole “momentum factor” and it’s just about game breaking if the AI abuse that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Had an awesome online game against a mate. He was the Pies and was trying to speccy for most of the game unsuccessfully. Last 1 minute of the game he takes a speccy in the forward line to kick the winning goal, then takes another one with Darcy Moore at full back with a second left to save the game. Intense.

Lag is annoying, not sure how that can get much better though. You kind of just have to predict things slightly earlier.

Also, bit random but just a tip, R1 to smother/intercept is underrated in the right spots.

You can still get rid of the ball in a tackle. I personally wasn’t a fan of the evade tackles, happened too often, was unrealistic.
Watch an actual football match, players evade 1v1 tackles all the time. You are now dumped to the ground with every tackle, and pinned most of the time. It was more realistic when the player was on their feet wrestling when it was 1v1, that's why I believe they went in that direction, but didn't have the CPU teammate support. It's easier just to take it out and go back to the dated and unrealistic dumped to the ground and pinned 1v1 tackle.

Last edited:
Played some games last night for the first time in a while, and there’s been a big improvement.

I like the new goal kicking on-the-run mechanics, but I still think there needs to be a way to get a longer shot at goal off the boot much quicker than the current system.

Prior to the change, I was pondering if goal kicking on-the-run could have a “2-tap” mechanic whereby you press goal kick once to start the meter moving and again to stop it in the correct zone. In this system, the correct zone would be in the middle of the meter (such that going early or late would make you miss to the left or right respectively).

More importantly, with the 2-tap mechanic, it would open the option to do a quick double-tap that would correspond with a “throw it on the boot” towards goal type of kick. A low percentage shot that takes into account distance/angle/wind and player stats. You could even have a small possibility of the ball going straight up, or burning along the ground, spraying sideways etc (pending the ability to code that) like real life.

Without this change, there is still the issue of needing too much free space when trying to get a shot at goal in contested situations. At the moment, I try to get a short 15m kick to generate a set shot whenever I’ve got the ball trapped in my forward 50 because I find it too hard to get off a quick shot.

Played some games last night for the first time in a while, and there’s been a big improvement.

I like the new goal kicking on-the-run mechanics, but I still think there needs to be a way to get a longer shot at goal off the boot much quicker than the current system.

Prior to the change, I was pondering if goal kicking on-the-run could have a “2-tap” mechanic whereby you press goal kick once to start the meter moving and again to stop it in the correct zone. In this system, the correct zone would be in the middle of the meter (such that going early or late would make you miss to the left or right respectively).

More importantly, with the 2-tap mechanic, it would open the option to do a quick double-tap that would correspond with a “throw it on the boot” towards goal type of kick. A low percentage shot that takes into account distance/angle/wind and player stats. You could even have a small possibility of the ball going straight up, or burning along the ground, spraying sideways etc (pending the ability to code that) like real life.

Without this change, there is still the issue of needing too much free space when trying to get a shot at goal in contested situations. At the moment, I try to get a short 15m kick to generate a set shot whenever I’ve got the ball trapped in my forward 50 because I find it too hard to get off a quick shot.

Love this idea. Kind of like putting up a contested shot in nba 2k, it'll probably miss but you don't feel penalised when it does and it at least allows the ball to get forward. And when the odd one goes through it'll be a great moment.

This only works if quick kicks forward aren't OP, which is how it should work if tactics are implemented properly and teams often have spare defenders. Then a quick kick forward favours them and shouldn't be OP

Is Max gawn OP or am i not doing it correctly?
Seems like the most important aspect of the game is winning the ruck tap.
I move R3 to where i want to tap it when the ball reaches the top of its flight- yet Gawn has won 100% of the rucktaps
How can i win one? Is anyone else loosing 95% of the taps. If your one of the players winning all of the taps- care to share what your doing differently ❤️
Also how to take a speccy?:)

I just tried this, and didn’t have an issue.
PS5, Patch 15.
Nope still not working. When you add second controller it comes up with a sign in page within the game. Start inputting email address and after 3 or 4 characters crashes to an error screen.

Goalkicking needs to be fixed, set shots you can hold it down until the power is in the red and it still goes straight and then the accuracy metre is broken, you have to press the button before it gets to the blue part which should be the accuracy target. So you have 70% or more of the metre to hit to make sure it goes straight through.

Still some teleporting, running on rails, too many repeat stoppages etc haven't run into any outright glitches yet but only been playing for a few minutes.

Nope still not working. When you add second controller it comes up with a sign in page within the game. Start inputting email address and after 3 or 4 characters crashes to an error screen.

Goalkicking needs to be fixed, set shots you can hold it down until the power is in the red and it still goes straight and then the accuracy metre is broken, you have to press the button before it gets to the blue part which should be the accuracy target. So you have 70% or more of the metre to hit to make sure it goes straight through.

Still some teleporting, running on rails, too many repeat stoppages etc haven't run into any outright glitches yet but only been playing for a few minutes.
Please contact support.bigant.com and they will help you - the analytics we have show a lot of two player games, I've seen them in the office and others here report they can also play with two local controllers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch an actual football match, players evade 1v1 tackles all the time. You are now dumped to the ground with every tackle, and pinned most of the time. It was more realistic when the player was on their feet wrestling when it was 1v1, that's why I believe they went in that direction, but didn't have the CPU teammate support. It's easier just to take it out and go back to the dated and unrealistic dumped to the ground and pinned 1v1 tackle.
I watch plenty of real AFL, I go every week. And you can still do evasions with the right analog stick, and whether tackles are pinned or not, you can still get rid of it with a handball, clearance handball or kick quite easily, the same as you could a week ago.

The stuck in the mud turn is intolerable, same with the game almost demanding you to stay on the mark, when you want to play on. None of those issues are in their 2011 game.

Their 2011 game was made on completely different hardware with (mostly) completely different people at the helm also, which Ross has stated several times. Seriously how many times do you need to allude to a game 12 years old? The only thing they have in common as games is the sport they’re based on. 2011 also wasn’t perfect either.

Please contact support.bigant.com and they will help you - the analytics we have show a lot of two player games, I've seen them in the office and others here report they can also play with two local controllers.
I can play two player offline with two controllers but you have to workaround - have player 1 select both teams and start the game then after the game starts add the second controller.

I'll contact support when I get time, switched it off after 3/4 as still too many bugs so just wasn't a fun experience. Playing God of War instead.

Their 2011 game was made on completely different hardware with (mostly) completely different people at the helm also, which Ross has stated several times. Seriously how many times do you need to allude to a game 12 years old? The only thing they have in common as games is the sport they’re based on. 2011 also wasn’t perfect either.
its a cheap, easy response to bring up older games for these guys who don't get it. brain dead really

Is the game worth it yet? I'm bored and need something to play haha
Ultimately, different things have different worth to different people.

Is it worth $100? I don’t think so, even if the game was flawless, given the lack of content vs other games like FIFA, NHL etc.

I’d certainly say it’s enjoyable though and that I’ve got value from my purchase. I can certainly think of worse things I’ve spent the same amount of money on 😁

Plenty of people allude to old games as doing things better. That's why NFL2K5 from 19 years ago is always cited as doing things better than modern Madden.

There's a YouTube channel called SoftDrinkTV dedicated to that very subject.

Also, the turn was only 1 of a few mechanics I was alluding to being better. Does taking a very long time to turn, getting chased and tackled down easily appeal to you? I preferred being able to turn instantaneously in their 2011 AFL game, to evade opponents chasing me down.

Pointing out an old game did something better is perfectly reasonable. I mean come on. The fact it was on older hardware and made by different people is irrelevant to a gameplay mechanic.

How so? Its a different game made on a different engine by mostly different people. If this was AFL 26 and BA had made several iterations in a row and the same issues existed from the first game then fair enough, but thats not the case. Apples and oranges. Mind you, you personally havent played a second of gameplay and it hasnt stopped you taking sly pot shots in the interim since the game released 🤷🏻‍♂️

GoldbergsGold you’re talking about long-running sports franchises. I’ve seen that SoftdrinkTV myself and again EA and 2K both developed multiple versions of each game. For all intents and purposes this is BA’s 1st go around as a modern company on new game tech. Not the same thing.

How so? Its a different game made on a different engine by mostly different people. If this was AFL 26 and BA had made several iterations in a row and the same issues existed from the first game then fair enough, but thats not the case. Apples and oranges. Mind you, you personally havent played a second of gameplay and it hasnt stopped you taking sly pot shots in the interim since the game released 🤷🏻‍♂️

GoldbergsGold you’re talking about long-running sports franchises. I’ve seen that SoftdrinkTV myself and again EA and 2K both developed multiple versions of each game. For all intents and purposes this is BA’s 1st go around as a modern company on new game tech. Not the same thing.
How is turning instantaneous a big issue with 2023 tech, when they were able to do it on their first try with primitive 2011 tech?

If anyone is wondering what sort of a game a North supporter has after a highly enjoyable loss to the Swans, I've got the video for you.

Trailing by two points, about 20 seconds remain. Need to go Coast to Coast to win the game.

(Shot on my phone, sue me).

Much less thrilling but nonetheless of interest, I tried to undo the pain against Freo when this happened. Some days the footy gods are against you.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back