Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got to play my first game in a week with the updates I missed and for the most part its way better than the last game I played. Thereā€™s still some room for improvement but the top 3 things I think need to be addressed are:

CPU Midfield Dominance - I have no idea why but thereā€™s massive rubberbanding in sequences when you canā€™t even get a touch in centre bounces. User controlled players seem to run out of the contests while the CPU swarm.

Handballing/Player Control - This is becoming a bit of a fun killer for me. The lack of control regardless the type of handball used (modified or normal) is really doing my head in. Some real basic things like handballing on a 45 degree angle wonā€™t work yet the CPU can somehow lace up and link up as if it was a training drill.

Teleporting - Still. So very annoying. Being in a 2 v 1 advantage on the wing, handballing to space where a player is solo on the wing and still getting chased down from 40-50 metres is beyond frustrating. This also applies to the back half too, CPU players somehow arrive to the contest late and win it every single time.

Ok, so on further playing around it seems that this 52 player cap is going to be an issue for most state league clubs BigAntStudios. This is clearly seen via the jumper numbers and most state league teams could have up to 70+ players on a senior/league squad even if not affiliated with an AFL Club (could be more) Meaning making and customising real life line-ups and or clubs with the latest rosters near impossible as the 52 player cap is always going to be breached. So I ask maybe it best if it be removed for state league sides and kept only for the AFL sides. As it seems it more a designed CAP on AFL sides then State League sides. I initially thought this may only be a big problem for affiliated state league sides with AFL links (e.g Peel Thunder & Fremantle). But now I have got the same issue with Norwood who not affiliated or linked with an AFL Club.

Plus as stated previously no point changing the roster to fit the 52 each week as it dosen't work once your in a season. So this needs to be fixed by removing the CAP or integrated into season mode and then maybe manegement mode at some point, to save always having go back to Academy everytime wasting precious amounts of time to only having to start a new season šŸ™‚

Still impossible to take quick shots at goal. The on the run meter is pretty good now and no issues with that, but by the time you collect the ball, your player actually registers they have the ball, and you power up a shot, you've been tackled 30 seconds ago

You gotta be quick though, fast button reflexes, they are trying to emulate a real game. There isn't much space in modern football. Practice, practice.

BigAntStudios hey Ross. First time writer long time viewer of this thread. The game is starting to play bloody amazing tbh. Already the best AFL game Iā€™ve played. Idk if I have missed something on this thread but is there any plans for further development of management mode beyond the week to week play now style it currently has? Keep up the good work!

I used the same power and same timing on both set shots and 1 made the distance and 1 fell short, because Tom Lynch has better kicking attributes (including power) than Cotchin, so I'm fine with the variance of the ball falling short based on that.

There isn't a on screen indicator to flag this and is probably more about knowing the players you are using as it stands now.

Would be interesting to see what some kind of indicator would look like though.
What if the set-shot aiming cross changes colour depending on the distance the player can kick? Depending how far youā€™re out from goal and the players attributes, could be red for too far out, orange/yellow for on the distance and green for good to go. Thoughts?

Travis Cloke would be so proud of this :p

Also I've seen Tom Hawkins shank some absolute easy goals (one was directly in front and he still managed to kick it out on the full!!)

BigAntStudios hey Ross. First time writer long time viewer of this thread. The game is starting to play bloody amazing tbh. Already the best AFL game Iā€™ve played. Idk if I have missed something on this thread but is there any plans for further development of management mode beyond the week to week play now style it currently has? Keep up the good work!
I agree, I would love to see the ability to watch/spectate the games rather be forced to play, a bit like or similar to Coach Mode in Madden. With also maybe an option to simulate via the Fixture also šŸ™‚

There's over 2500 posts on this thread. The last one had almost 10,000 and the one before that over 15,000. 95% of those posts are whingeing about absolute dribble, yet you're going to single out mine?

I think I have been patient. Over 6 weeks patient. I just asked a simple question about whether or not there was any information (official or otherwise) about the xbox release considering we're now in June (the revised timeline of the original revision).

At some point in the epic history of this thread, it was mentioned that stock needed to be at retailer warehouses 2 weeks out from release date. Even if scheduled for "mid June" that should be about now.

Nope. Place holder was late June.

Regardless if there is news you'll hear it. Sometimes no news is also news.

What if the set-shot aiming cross changes colour depending on the distance the player can kick? Depending how far youā€™re out from goal and the players attributes, could be red for too far out, orange/yellow for on the distance and green for good to go. Thoughts?

Yeah I like this. Something that's obvious and intuitive. I don't know every player in the league, so if I'm playing a team I don't know very well I'm not going to know who can kick from 50m with no problem and who might struggle, but if the targeting thing is green I'll know I should make it if I time it well, but if it's red I should look for a short pass instead.

Nope. Place holder was late June.

Regardless if there is news you'll hear it. Sometimes no news is also news.
It wasn't though. I've already said, my EB Games message said it had a release date of early June.

I absolutely understand the NDA's and contracts with retailers, however one of the things Ross did say on the topic was that the needs of consumers would also be considered. So far I've seen nothing that could be classed as keeping consumers in the loop.

some flow to it. To increase the flow I sense some of the animations are played more loosely, with more ball teleportation, but okay at least it's playable.

Con = when the opposition scores, I don't always feel like I had control. The ruck -> centre -> wing -> CHF occurrence is still very frequent. The fact that marking and spoiling are almost complete guessworks doesn't help either. Also often controlling a player after losing a contest is awful. The player won't follow your commands. if I lose a contest I want that player to sprint back on defence but rarely do I find myself able to control that.
Found the CPU heat map.

Attachments

• afl23heatmap.png
    afl23heatmap.png
    157 KB · Views: 33

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't though. I've already said, my EB Games message said it had a release date of early June.

I absolutely understand the NDA's and contracts with retailers, however one of the things Ross did say on the topic was that the needs of consumers would also be considered. So far I've seen nothing that could be classed as keeping consumers in the loop.
releasexbox.jpg

I agree, I would love to see the ability to watch/spectate the games rather be forced to play, a bit like or similar to Coach Mode in Madden. With also maybe an option to simulate via the Fixture also šŸ™‚
Something like NBA2K with their 'simulate with simcast' option? it could be when simulating the matches, it has the option to simulate to the end of the match or simulate while watching the score worm moving and maybe can have options to jump in and play at the end of each quarter?

Something I would like to be able to do is to simulate multiple games instead of 1 at a time, where I can simulate games using the fixture/calendar and only play certain games (e.g, play R1 then skip to R9, instead of playing R1 then manually skipping R2, R3, R4 until I get to R9 which takes time). I think there is something similar to that with season mode but not management mode.

Travis Cloke would be so proud of this :p

Also I've seen Tom Hawkins shank some absolute easy goals (one was directly in front and he still managed to kick it out on the full!!)

Is that you deliberately turning into goal or the animation forcing it?

Yeah I like this. Something that's obvious and intuitive. I don't know every player in the league, so if I'm playing a team I don't know very well I'm not going to know who can kick from 50m with no problem and who might struggle, but if the targeting thing is green I'll know I should make it if I time it well, but if it's red I should look for a short pass instead.
Question is though, since I havenā€™t played the game. Can you go from a set shot to then changing your mind and going for the short pass instead? If you could do that based on whether the player can actually make the distance, that would be cool.

I like that!

Something like NBA2K with their 'simulate with simcast' option? it could be when simulating the matches, it has the option to simulate to the end of the match or simulate while watching the score worm moving and maybe can have options to jump in and play at the end of each quarter?

Something I would like to be able to do is to simulate multiple games instead of 1 at a time, where I can simulate games using the fixture/calendar and only play certain games (e.g, play R1 then skip to R9, instead of playing R1 then manually skipping R2, R3, R4 until I get to R9 which takes time). I think there is something similar to that with season mode but not management mode.
True, I wouldn't mind seeing that, but would still love to have an option to Spectate then have to control the team to make it more authentic. But maybe while watching CPU vs CPU, you could still pause and make subs and eventually tactic changes when required during the game as need for the team your controlling in Management mode. šŸ™‚

Question is though, since I havenā€™t played the game. Can you go from a set shot to then changing your mind and going for the short pass instead? If you could do that based on whether the player can actually make the distance, that would be cool.

No idea I'm afraid, I'm still waiting for the early/mid/late June Xbox version.

Michaels can you change from set shot to say a short pass once you are in the set shot screen?

New/old glitch

I went for a banana kick, it hit the post which resulted in this camera view after the impact of the ball on the post....

sfWlRk8.png

I thought the game was going to freeze/crash, however the remaining time on the clock ticked down (35 seconds), siren went and I won (thankfully as I was on the verge of losing!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back