Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a statement from the CEO might as well be officially advertised.

Pro Team, half baked management mode... In terms of gameplay all we have that works properly is play now and season mode. Obviously 99% is an exaggeration but 50% of the game is just missing.

Which I think is where most peoples annoyance has stemmed from - complete lack of communication or empathy for their customers. Zero apology (which isnt not what its all about for me) but nothing other then a ā€˜roadmapā€™ and a tweet that said ā€˜we appreciate your continued supportā€™ unprofessional radio silence is not how to handle this problem. Neither is creating an in-house message board where theyā€™re still ignoring the majority of peopleā€™s questions and frustrations.

Microsoft stuff doesn't have anything to do with rejecting the game or not being happy with it etc as far as I'm aware.

People giving Microsoft far too much credit thinking that they would investigate a game that much.
Love your videos bro but I gotta disagree on you with this one where has big ant actually proven to us though that this game was good before they have had no videos to show that šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ after 3 months is just ridiculous no words about the Xbox version they just delete it on the site too itā€™s bloody ridiculous

99% is obviously over the top, but I think the point is that nearly every part of the game is half-baked. The only obvious exceptions are the graphics and the academy, both very superficial which offer no upside if the gameplay sucks.

Everything that is core to enjoying playing is half-baked or missing or bug-ridden - and none of that was advertised.
Iā€™ve been having a great time playing after these last few patches, the release was a disaster but this is easily the best AFL game weā€™ve had by a long way from a gameplay point of view.

If you had told me before release that we wouldnā€™t have player career and management mode would be bare bones, I wouldā€™ve been pissed but Iā€™ve honestly been enjoying playing seasons in the game that I havenā€™t really missed those modes.

Iā€™ll also say that having jumped back into online over the last week for the first time since release has been a real eye opener in regards to a lot of what people claim as ā€˜broken gameplayā€™ is just them being bad at the game, for example, if youā€™re still saying itā€™s too hard to tackle, maybe youā€™re just not very good at it.

I would have no issue with the lack of regular communication if it was consistent from the start.

This game has been and its features has been over promised and under delivered. Launch night was when late March or early April? it's now August and know one has a clear idea of when its coming out on Xbox and when the biggest feature people were excited about being pro team is going to be rolled out, launch night it was stated it should be a few weeks after release...

Those that are still playing are still waiting for this deep management mode also....

I am a big fan of their cricket games so I was wanting to give this a try , which I have via my cousin and his PS5 and yep we had some good moments but it was few and far between and nothing I have seen or heard about the game will make me want it when or if it does release on xbox. This whole mess and the delay of Cricket 24 from its initial Ashes time release does make me have second thoughts about the upcoming cricket game now, think this whole saga took a hit on their image that is for sure.

Unless you are expecting Touk Miller to come and grab you on the plums to make it feel more 'actual modern footy', not sure how a VIDEO GAME doesn't play like an arcade game :think:

I think heā€™s talking about the feel and flow of the game not being as realistic. Similar to how NBA 2K is more of a simulation game than an arcade-style one, this is the opposite.

Along with the long and narrow interchange/reserves list (I donā€™t know how Bigant thought in their right mind that would be a good idea),The inconsistency across the selection screens is whatā€™s bugging me. For some contexts- forget which ones- it doesnā€™t show attributes of the player or height.

Also team selection is really hard to use when you have say Swans v Dogs and Swan players are blue and dogs players are red. Really confusing when trying to compare matchup attributes. Should be the predominant colour of guernsey for that match. Like what I had a rough go at making early on in the year. View attachment 1753238
I somehow missed this post. Nice mock up....love the idea of the height / stats.
Some considerations:-
- local multiplayer, both teams should be able to select lineups at the same time (that's what the right side is used for, but is blank for single player).
- Players can have multiple roles (captain, backup ruckman, kickout)...currently only one role is ever shown.
- INT and SUB should show next to those positions (shouldn't be in the same place as role, shouldn't disappear like it does at the moment)
- Reserves/Emergencies need a whole other section... maybe a whole column next to Interchanges? Still would be a big long list...but at least separate from the playing group.

this is easily the best AFL game weā€™ve had by a long way from a gameplay point of view.
How, though? The contested play is really poor and nothing like the sport, and there's that awful stuck in the mud mechanic. Vastly inferior to Live 2011 and Evo 2. The 1v1 only marking contests that almost always ends in a mark is nothing like the sport. Why do they even have that as a mechanic in 23? Evo 2 had pack marking and even gave you the option to make contested marking hard like the real sport, so you have to be more precise with your kicks and hand balls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iā€™ve seen enough gameplay videos and read enough paying customer reviews, itā€™s ping pong and the modern running handball game is impossible to play.

The AI isnā€™t up to it, teammate and opposition.
Essentially it's just a kick, mark, goal gameplay style, nothing like the sport. The game punishes you for run and carry, which is the opposite to Live 2011 and Evo 2.

How, though? The contested play is really poor and nothing like the sport, and there's that awful stuck in the mud mechanic. Vastly inferior to Live 2011 and Evo 2. The 1v1 only marking contests that almost always ends in a mark is nothing like the sport. Why do they even have that as a mechanic in 23? Evo 2 had pack marking and even gave you the option to make contested marking hard like the real sport, so you have to be more precise with your kicks and hand balls.
The contest is actually really good in AFL23, itā€™s the only AFL game to actually have contested play particularly around the centre clearances

Evo 2 didnā€™t have pack marks, it just had a bunch of players stand around the fall of the ball, the actual marking contests were always 1v1.

Thereā€™s obviously areas for improvement such as gang tackles, actual pack marking (where players can crash the pack and knock everyone over like bowling pins) and better jostling controls in 1v1 marking but itā€™s still the first game that actually feels like footy.

Iā€™ve seen enough gameplay videos and read enough paying customer reviews, itā€™s ping pong and the modern running handball game is impossible to play.

The AI isnā€™t up to it, teammate and opposition.
See this is just wrong

I play the modern handball game in every match, I chain handballs down the ground and for as much as people whinge about the player turning circles, it actually forces you to handball the ball in different directions to try and find space.

This is why you have to play the game before forming a genuine opinion, most people suck at this game and it ends up being ping pong because they just get the ball and bomb it long, if you play it like real footy and are smart with your ball use, you get a great footy game

Essentially it's just a kick, mark, goal gameplay style, nothing like the sport. The game punishes you for run and carry, which is the opposite to Live 2011 and Evo 2.
This just isnā€™t true, you probably just donā€™t know how to play the handball game well.

I use handball all the time, both on a fast break and in tight to get my players into space.

Iā€™m certain everyone thinks this game sucks but the reality is they just suck at it, watching gameplay videos and actually playing other people online just confirms this belief.
Most online matches Iā€™ve played, my opponent just torps it from the midfield into the forward 50, itā€™s predictable and easy to stop, Iā€™ll end up winning by at least 4-5 goals cause I handball the footy around, use short passes and actually play football.

The contest is actually really good in AFL23, itā€™s the only AFL game to actually have contested play particularly around the centre clearances

Evo 2 didnā€™t have pack marks, it just had a bunch of players stand around the fall of the ball, the actual marking contests were always 1v1.

Thereā€™s obviously areas for improvement such as gang tackles, actual pack marking (where players can crash the pack and knock everyone over like bowling pins) and better jostling controls in 1v1 marking but itā€™s still the first game that actually feels like footy.

See this is just wrong

I play the modern handball game in every match, I chain handballs down the ground and for as much as people whinge about the player turning circles, it actually forces you to handball the ball in different directions to try and find space.

This is why you have to play the game before forming a genuine opinion, most people suck at this game and it ends up being ping pong because they just get the ball and bomb it long, if you play it like real footy and are smart with your ball use, you get a great footy game

Can you post a video of you playing the game? Iā€™d be super keen to see a contested game with modern handballing as Iā€™ve been struggling to get it to work since release

That's not true, you could bump and push around players in a pack marking contest in Evo 2, it wasn't 1v1.
How does it feel like football? Nothing but 1v1 contested contests that always end in unrealistic results like a mark 90% of the time, that's not how real football works.
Turning circles? Do you mean the players veering off course in a direction you're not controlling the player in like those curl movements? That's clearly a flaw, it's not in any other AFL game.

It's not the fault of the user, when there's that "stuck in the mud" thing that stops you from evading, and almost every marking contest ends in a mark. Given the game hours of playthrough, it's clearly unfinished and does not play like the sport.

This just isnā€™t true, you probably just donā€™t know how to play the handball game well.

I use handball all the time, both on a fast break and in tight to get my players into space.

Iā€™m certain everyone thinks this game sucks but the reality is they just suck at it, watching gameplay videos and actually playing other people online just confirms this belief.
Most online matches Iā€™ve played, my opponent just torps it from the midfield into the forward 50, itā€™s predictable and easy to stop, Iā€™ll end up winning by at least 4-5 goals cause I handball the footy around, use short passes and actually play football.
I've played Live 2011 and Evo 2 with the run and carry movement with no problems, 23 is known for being a mess with it's controls and "stuck in the mud" issue. And from the gameplay footage I see on YouTube, everyone just boots the ball to a 1v1 marking contest and succeeds. I remember when I played online, I was playing the hand ball game and was punished for it, because the players could not hand pass the ball past 10 metres, even when the meter was filled. I remember some guy scored 4 goals from 80 metre bomb goals on many occassions. Definitely an unfinished game.

Hang on a minute, some of us like the ping pong game style :( :p
If teleport tackles and the AI (plus I've been able to do it myself on occasion) randomly speeding up, stuck in mud etc... didn't exist the game would be the best thing since sliced bread. I'm almost at the 160 hour mark (and have once again boosted my fortnightly game time to 21 hours haha). Even with the bugs present I've still crafted many excellent passages of play and my god scoring goals gives me the warm and fuzzies!!

I like the game, the loss of management mode doesn't irritate me like others (but yes it being a buggy mess and barebones is a head scratcher to a degree).

I'm posting this in a hurry so not directly responding to the post in question - but you absolutely CAN run and carry your way to goal (ok it's mostly by fluke but still haha). Yes a lot of the time the AI will catch and wrap you up in a tackle, but ever since they introduced the side step animation, evading tackles is common!!!! I've been able to sucker the AI into choosing to go the wrong direction and then I have a clear path/shot at goal.

Oh come onā€¦ šŸ¤£
I know a few people who are more than capable of playing (and winning comfortably) on Hardest and still thinks the game sucks. Myself included.

You donā€™t have to be good at a game to enjoy it. Likewise you donā€™t need to be shit at it to hate it. This is such a cop out to defend a horrible game.
Kudos to you if you enjoy it, but saying others suck because they donā€™t like it is a bit ridiculous

Can you post a video of you playing the game? Iā€™d be super keen to see a contested game with modern handballing as Iā€™ve been struggling to get it to work since release

Iā€™m still waiting for that dev vs dev gameplay video that was apparently going to be released also! Must be coming after the Xbox discs arrive šŸ¤”šŸ¤£

Oh come onā€¦ šŸ¤£
I know a few people who are more than capable of playing (and winning comfortably) on Hardest and still thinks the game sucks. Myself included.

You donā€™t have to be good at a game to enjoy it. Likewise you donā€™t need to be s**t at it to hate it. This is such a cop out to defend a horrible game.
Kudos to you if you enjoy it, but saying others suck because they donā€™t like it is a bit ridiculous
Some people may genuinely dislike it but a lot of people are complaining about things that arenā€™t an issue if you know how to play.

So many people banging on about how itā€™s impossible to tackle but I find tackling to be easy and when I play online, I control the game through tackles while most others players just canā€™t

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back