Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone have any tips for set shot snaps? Can't quite figure out how to predict or alter the ball arc, of course assuming it's not actually random like most marking contests.

Hard to explain without a video but aim outwards of the goal but allow the ball to arc back in the direction of the goals the same way a drop punt will naturally drift from right to left or vice versa. Also the higher you aim the cursor the wider the snap will drift.

Anyone have any tips for set shot snaps? Can't quite figure out how to predict or alter the ball arc, of course assuming it's not actually random like most marking contests.
Theyā€™ll curveā€¦ more to the left for right footers, or to the right for left footers.
If about 15-20 out, generally aiming straight or at the right post for a right footer will be ok.
For further out 30-40m, the ball will be in the air for longer, so will bend more overall throughout its journeyā€¦. So you need to aim further out, like at the right point post or beyond it (for a right footer).
And then, add on whatever factor for the wind.

Also note, all of the above is assuming youā€™re on quite an angle (like on the boundary line), and assumes you get really good timing on the accuracy meter.ā€

Any way to a get handle on the AI constantly having players loose, and more importantly, players on your team standing still when youā€™re not in control of them? When I have the ball Iā€™m fine at the game, but as soon as thereā€™s a turnover, the AI just string pass to pass completely uncontested, half the time when I switch to a player, Iā€™m already 10 metres back because my player was standing still. Have had a play around with tactics, but that doesnā€™t really make a difference.

The marking still feels a bit off, it just feels like a 50/50 AI takes over scenario. Iā€™m assuming player rating and height is taken into account, but I still think the player movement and gameplay needs some work in this game.

I know everyone likes to say ratings are taken into account but I dont believe that. I think the game mechanically is still just as buggy/broken as before and my reasoning is I can use teams of all bronze and silver to smash the CPU on easier difficulties the same as I can with gold players. They needed to have all this fixed before launching Pro Team and in spite of the modes fresh layer of paint, the game is still as broken as it was.

I know everyone likes to say ratings are taken into account but I dont believe that. I think the game mechanically is still just as buggy/broken as before and my reasoning is I can use teams of all bronze and silver to smash the CPU on easier difficulties the same as I can with gold players. They needed to have all this fixed before launching Pro Team and in spite of the modes fresh layer of paint, the game is still as broken as it was.
Really?
Have you tried playing with Bronze/Silver players on Medium/Hard against a good team or full AFL team?

Itā€™s such a struggle.

But playing with a good team on the same difficulties is a lot easier.

Really?
Have you tried playing with Bronze/Silver players on Medium/Hard against a good team or full AFL team?

Itā€™s such a struggle.

Which again, imagine they set decent ratings for AFL teams so playing against a richmond/north/Eagles was easy and vice versa. The fact every team feels 90% the same just completely ruins the experience of playing off-line modes.

Really?

Itā€™s such a struggle.

Yeah I have and Iā€™ve encountered all the same bugs regardless which teams I use. I think playing with better players does make a slight difference but in terms of bugs like dead players at a ground ball, teleporting etc its all still there. No rotating a player on a mark is a killer too.

Which again, imagine they set decent ratings for AFL teams so playing against a richmond/north/Eagles was easy and vice versa. The fact every team feels 90% the same just completely ruins the experience of playing off-line modes.
Admittedly I havenā€™t played against either of those teams in the same setting, but they could still be easy(ish).
Iā€™ll give it a go and see what I find.

Yeah I have and Iā€™ve encountered all the same bugs regardless which teams I use. I think playing with better players does make a slight difference but in terms of bugs like dead players at a ground ball, teleporting etc its all still there. No rotating a player on a mark is a killer too.

Yeah the player auto locking into being on the mark from 30m away is terrible. Could easily change this, even as simple as highlighting the player who's set to man the mark and press a button to cancel it, then the call becomes outside 5 instead.

But yeah between the critical importance of hitouts, the manning the mark lock on, the dead players at times and the power and direction of kicks being ignored half the time, just feels like you're not in any control half the time.

The fundamentals are in place and you'd love to say with a few tweaks the game could be great, but their lack of gameplay enhancements on other titles doesn't fill me with confidence

Definitely a difference when playing against Melbourne, with Gawn in the Ruck.
Also noticed the difference when teams have a strong marking forward.

Yeah, the ruckman is different but not in a good way. Way too OP. Gawn would be fine but it's not just him.

And yes re key forward but again not really in a good way. If key forwards and ruck are all that matters the game is broken

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the player auto locking into being on the mark from 30m away is terrible. Could easily change this, even as simple as highlighting the player who's set to man the mark and press a button to cancel it, then the call becomes outside 5 instead.

But yeah between the critical importance of hitouts, the manning the mark lock on, the dead players at times and the power and direction of kicks being ignored half the time, just feels like you're not in any control half the time.

The fundamentals are in place and you'd love to say with a few tweaks the game could be great, but their lack of gameplay enhancements on other titles doesn't fill me with confidence

100% agree with all that you posted! I watched a fair bit of both Michaels & Sharpyā€™s streams last night including their match and to see some really inexplicable bugs is pretty glaring. I think Panters also had the glitch where he had a player mark in his back half, didnt touch a button and the player kicks the ball out on the full/backwards, has happened to me too.

Not sure what they did but the initial patch with Pro Team made it so much smoother but the one last week has cooked it again. Iā€™m not playing until the dead ball issue is fixed, that has fried any level of fun for me.

What grinds my gears is that with every update something improves, while other things that were improving go backward again. I swear there are more instances of stuck in mud/stuttering animations than there were prior to the last few updates!!!

Take a mark and I should be able to run and play on instantly..... but nope due to bad programming I hit a road block...

Should be able to run on and tackle the player that's about to take the ball... but nope the game won't allow it

Almost out of bounds

Also seeing the teleport marks more frequently than previously as well. Mind boggling how things go backward.

It's not new, I don't think it's been touched. The intercepting stuck in mud was the main instance of the bug that didn't get patched out earlier this year. I'm assuming you have just been taking more marks in that situation at certain times.

It's not new, I don't think it's been touched. The intercepting stuck in mud was the main instance of the bug that didn't get patched out earlier this year. I'm assuming you have just been taking more marks in that situation at certain times.

1-2 updates just prior to them breaking the ps version last year (June-ish) it was virtually eliminated. Then they rolled back updates and chaos ensued.

They (almost) eliminated it again in the updates this year. In its place was a similar issue - being stuck at times.... but the player was still in a running animation. Hence my previous comparison it made them look like a cartoon (Fred Flintstone taking off in the Flintstone mobile).

Don't know why I'm being hit with invisible walls again all of a sudden as well.

All in all my play time has dropped. In recent days my Steam fortnightly average has dropped from 21ish to 9 hours.

Haven't even booted up on console to do my AI v AI sims of upcoming real life match ups

Well, I finally took on the infamous ladder leaders match, the one against WA U23s on easiest difficulty with 15 minutes quarters. I think the game took me about 1:20 to complete which was such a slog. Walked away 519 point winners with a ridiculous scoreline of 91.9 (555) to 5.6 (36). 111 scoring shots which amounts to one every 32 seconds or so. Couldā€™ve been more but I started stat padding in the last to try and get Jack Crisp to hit 35 kicks to beat an objective (which I did), so my goals in each quarter went 22, 25, 27 and then down to 17 in the last. Had a little issue with some kicks towards goal spraying out of bounds as far as the 50 metre line even when Iā€™d be within 20 metres of goal, so that affected the margin a little bit too.
Won the hitouts battle 137-3 and only avoided a clean sweep because my controller has stuck drift and that puts my ruck several metres away from the ball up every so often. Had 5 players with over 10 goals, my leading disposal getter had a lazy 82 touches, and as a team I had 585 disposals to their 269, and won the inside 50s by an even hundred, 138 to 38. Got destroyed in free kicks 28-1 because I have a tendency to play on instead of take set shots so I got tackled quite a few times over the course of an hour.
So is it worth it? Easiest difficulty slashes your XP and FP earned by a bit, but I had the +15% XP and FP active and earned just over 13000 XP for that game but only got 764 FP. I guess the FP taxes you quite a bit for free kicks and conceding any score, and despite the mental test that is playing for a whole hour, you still only get 200 FP for completing the match which is a ****ing LOL. Iā€™m still unsure how I earn 480 FP for scoring 91 goals but lose 72 FP for conceding 36 points. By my count scoring is only worth 3 times as much as conceding if that makes sense, so I think Iā€™d be in the negatives if I let through 2/3rds of what I scored, heaven forbid what would happen if I lost. And I know itā€™s like this so thereā€™s more reliance on spending real money, but carn, fix it up farken. At least the XP earned was good I guess.

Should also add, itā€™s pretty good for objectives. Got me almost 1/10th of the progress towards the 1000 goals objective, and over 1/10th of the progress for the 1000 hitouts. Depending on which objectives in the long term goals category youā€™re able to progress in, you could possibly knock it out in one go. Pretty much anything to do with registering stats that arenā€™t games played or archetype related ones, you can make pretty good progress and certain rewards can be pretty good too. But be prepared to spend way longer than you want to locked into the game.

Ball in hand it's actually quite enjoyable, it's without the ball it goes to shit.
Yeah this. All the bugs/glitches shine through when you donā€™t have possession.
Players running through the ball, players not tackling, invisible wall seems to be back at times.
Just odd that they canā€™t get these things right

Well, I finally took on the infamous ladder leaders match, the one against WA U23s on easiest difficulty with 15 minutes quarters. I think the game took me about 1:20 to complete which was such a slog. Walked away 519 point winners with a ridiculous scoreline of 91.9 (555) to 5.6 (36). 111 scoring shots which amounts to one every 32 seconds or so. Couldā€™ve been more but I started stat padding in the last to try and get Jack Crisp to hit 35 kicks to beat an objective (which I did), so my goals in each quarter went 22, 25, 27 and then down to 17 in the last. Had a little issue with some kicks towards goal spraying out of bounds as far as the 50 metre line even when Iā€™d be within 20 metres of goal, so that affected the margin a little bit too.
Won the hitouts battle 137-3 and only avoided a clean sweep because my controller has stuck drift and that puts my ruck several metres away from the ball up every so often. Had 5 players with over 10 goals, my leading disposal getter had a lazy 82 touches, and as a team I had 585 disposals to their 269, and won the inside 50s by an even hundred, 138 to 38. Got destroyed in free kicks 28-1 because I have a tendency to play on instead of take set shots so I got tackled quite a few times over the course of an hour..

It genuinely astounds me the sort of stuff people are willing to waste their time on, this sounds horrible šŸ˜…

Any way to a get handle on the AI constantly having players loose, and more importantly, players on your team standing still when youā€™re not in control of them? When I have the ball Iā€™m fine at the game, but as soon as thereā€™s a turnover, the AI just string pass to pass completely uncontested, half the time when I switch to a player, Iā€™m already 10 metres back because my player was standing still. Have had a play around with tactics, but that doesnā€™t really make a difference.
I find the only way to counter is to play with more defensive tactics that assists in covering on transition, otherwise the AI just play keepings off and absolutely give you the shits.

It genuinely astounds me the sort of stuff people are willing to waste their time on, this sounds horrible šŸ˜…
In fairness, I wouldnā€™t have done it if the next match isnā€™t like 2.5 or 3.5 minute quarters lmao. Better than doing some premiership challenge matches when I was dealing with a slower that usual connection and stuck drift, only took up one contract per player and the objectives I completed/made significant progress in were good in the sense that I didnā€™t feel any desire to spend money on the game.
FWIW the FP I earned, both directly from the match and residually from objectives completed/level progression got me past the amount of coins to get the 2023 gold players pack and I pulled a sapphire Lachie Neale, an emerald I canā€™t remember and a gold Ryan Burton which all fit well into my lineup so it all worked out alright for me, even if I couldā€™ve bought Pro Team Coins for less than what I make in the same amount of time at work šŸ˜­

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back