Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, they've seemingly made a design choice to have power + direction metres only contribute to target selection - i.e., the kick locks onto a receiving player, which is determined by direction and kick power, rather than you having total control over where and how far the kick goes.

It addresses the issue in previous games of having trouble finding a target without using a heavy zoom downfield camera (which swings wildly in an intercept game), but it contributes to the overall feel of the game as being entirely on rails.

Yeah I can understand why they’d opt to do this but I don't think it works well at all. Any sport involving a ball in a game should always have the ball feel ‘alive’ or not connected to the players in the game. The overall physics need a lot of work, we should be able to see the rare falcon, more realistic smothers, loose spills & deflections. Like you said, it makes it feel too pre-determined and on rails rather than a live element to the game.

This happened to my opposition twice the last game I played. Both marks 'on the goal line'. Which is another pet peeve, why not have some marks over the line and some on it etc. With or without the score review (with would be cool), the fact that they all stick right on the line is game breaking, add it to the list!
Yeah the boundary/goal line physics are whack. AI kicking along the boundary manage to mark it on the line every single time.

But the goal line does my head in. If the game knows the ball is going to clear the goal line, you can't even attempt to mark or spoil it, it just goes into autopilot. So as soon as you see players congregate on the goal line you know it's getting marked or spoiled, and the players treat the goal line like the edge of a cliff. There's clearly a form of boundary/goal line avoidance programmed in but it's way over the top.

I swear it's yet another thing that worked fine in AFL Live 2011 but not now.

Yeah I can understand why they’d opt to do this but I don't think it works well at all. Any sport involving a ball in a game should always have the ball feel ‘alive’ or not connected to the players in the game. The overall physics need a lot of work, we should be able to see the rare falcon, more realistic smothers, loose spills & deflections. Like you said, it makes it feel too pre-determined and on rails rather than a live element to the game.
Weirdly, there are instances of those ball dynamics in the game, but they appear to be mostly from handballs and smothers. There's some pretty interesting/nice deflections... and then, the extreme ones... like when I smothered it down off the kicker's hand, into his kicking foot harder than how he was dropping it.... which resulted in a 70-80m kick because of the flukey deflection.

To add to that, I don’t think I’ve ever kicked a goal where the ball bounces in. A player always reaches the drop of the ball before it hits the ground.
Yeah definitely. I think that's an issue with no power meter. If you do a goal kick and are inside 60, it's going the full distance, or very close, regardless.

And then add to that that you can't shepherd an opponent, and it's either going through half height, or getting marked or spoiled.

That sounds broken to me
I mean, the game was unplayable due to bugs and other issues for a long time. There's a difference between broken and underwhelmingly designed. I chuck it on for a game every now and then and enjoy it on some level, which wasn't possible previously. It's just a disappointing game.

Played a couple of games since Proteam. It is definitely pay to win.

Had a real weird bug happen, took a mark right on the defensive goal line. My player automatically jogged straight up the field and when I pushed the kick button was tackled and caught holding the ball. No idea what was going on.

Also the dodge tackle is overpowered, played 1 online game and all the opposition player did was kept using the dodge tackle and there was no way to tackle them.

Several of the bugs have returned e.g. teleporting players, players standing around a ball and not picking it up. Not going to play again for a while.

Had a real weird bug happen, took a mark right on the defensive goal line. My player automatically jogged straight up the field and when I pushed the kick button was tackled and caught holding the ball. No idea what was going on.

Also the dodge tackle is overpowered, played 1 online game and all the opposition player did was kept using the dodge tackle and there was no way to tackle them.

Several of the bugs have returned e.g. teleporting players, players standing around a ball and not picking it up. Not going to play again for a while.
It’s definitely not pay to win, I’ve played a lot of teams filled with emerald and higher cards and have a won comfortably with my silver/gold team.

The tackle evade could use a nerf but it’s also extremely satisfying once you pick up on the tactic, delay your tackles and watch them spin around no one while you’re tackler is waiting to grab them.

Pretty much perfectly sums it up. Bug after bug & its become infuriating to try to avoid the issues. Its hilarious to me that even the Pro Team objectives don't register properly. Chuck it back in the oven, still raw for mine.

KcSUpd1.png

celine-dion-titanic.gif

:p

Pretty much perfectly sums it up. Bug after bug & its become infuriating to try to avoid the issues. Its hilarious to me that even the Pro Team objectives don't register properly. Chuck it back in the oven, still raw for mine.
Not all objectives trigger... sure... but the overwhelming majority do... and they've fixed another bunch of them recently too, just a few more to go.

The mark on the goal-line bug I've seen... both on the defensive and attacking lines, and reported these through the Support page.

It’s definitely not pay to win. I’ve beaten sapphire teams on premiership challenge with a silver team. Your problem is you haven’t put in the hours ( more than two games). Imagine if you were excelling in proteam from playing just two games? That would be stupid. You gotta play to win.

Ive played more than 100 games without paying a cent and my team is building nicely. I have both diamonds bont and mills, I have sapphires Curnow, Sicily, Howe, Blicavs, and I have 30 odd emerald players. I have over 200 player cards. And I’m in the second ladder position on premiership challenge.

I play easy/unimportant games with silver or gold players, depending on the difficulty level. Save my top contracts for when it matters. And it’s working well.

Last edited:
I dont think skill plays any part in online matches, the game works for one and doesnt for the other

if you have the ball on the wing, most often than not, you'll be alone, stand still, it'll automatically draw their defenders to ya (for whatever reason, the radius is massive) leaving the half forwards free for a shot on goal

AI controlled players, are absolutely garbage in this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said before Pro-Team released that it would want to be bulletproof given it took 18 months to release and was still delayed again in order to add improvements.

Welp, it wasn't.

It released and lo and behold, objectives didn't pop at all. Like, come on. You've been sitting on the mode since the start of 2023 and no one noticed that objectives don't pop?

Yes they've fixed most now, but it's really just one thing after another isn't it. I find myself looking back at AFL Live 2011 and DBC 14 and thinking, how did this company put out that? Hard to argue that they haven't bitten off more than they can chew in every game lately.

It released and lo and behold, objectives didn't pop at all. Like, come on. You've been sitting on the mode since the start of 2023 and no one noticed that objectives don't pop?

I don’t want to conjecture but my personal opinion is in March 2023 at Launch Night that single player career & Pro Team probably didnt actually exist. Cant see why its taken so much longer to get PT to release aside from the legalities that come with a game having a monetisation mode. From a pure coding/programming point, theres no way this was ready to go 18 months ago, it’s still half-cooked now a month after release.

I don’t want to conjecture but my personal opinion is in March 2023 at Launch Night that single player career & Pro Team probably didnt actually exist. Cant see why its taken so much longer to get PT to release aside from the legalities that come with a game having a monetisation mode. From a pure coding/programming point, theres no way this was ready to go 18 months ago, it’s still half-cooked now a month after release.
I'd love to know how much development there was before May, 2023.

It’s definitely not pay to win. I’ve beaten sapphire teams on premiership challenge with a silver team. Your problem is you haven’t put in the hours ( more than two games). Imagine if you were excelling in proteam from playing just two games? That would be stupid. You gotta play to win.
Thing is I just don't care enough about the game to put in that much effort. I have a life as well and actually physically play the game.

Ive played more than 100 games
See above!
100% agree. Was hopeful but again Bigant let me down. Might check it out again when legends come into Proteam until then gonna go and actually play some real life finals.

Last edited:
Thing is I just don't care enough about the game to put in that much effort. I have a life as well and actually physically play the game.

See above!

100% agree. Was hopeful but again Bigant let me down. Might check it out again when legends come into Proteam until then gonna go and actually play some real life finals.
I’m not really following your point though.
You can go and casually play the Play Now games, against AI, at a level that suits you for the few hours you can put in.

But for Pro Team, are you expecting to have a superstar team (I.e skip the leveling up/game grinding, without paying for it), and still be as good as any other person that HAS put in a lot of hours?

I have nothing against anyone buying their team, or having a good team and more skill because they spend their entire weekend playing the game. That’s just what happens and what they’re willing to do.

I don't seem to be able to tackle the AI, am I meant to hold down triangle? Or do I use L2 as well as triangle to make it more powerful?

Also most of the time the AI get it they do a series of 5 quick kicks or so without any running so it feels like I can never just run up to someone and tackle them unless I was already standing right next to them when they got the ball.

I don't seem to be able to tackle the AI, am I meant to hold down triangle? Or do I use L2 as well as triangle to make it more powerful?

Also most of the time the AI get it they do a series of 5 quick kicks or so without any running so it feels like I can never just run up to someone and tackle them unless I was already standing right next to them when they got the ball.
You can use R1 to hoam in on the ball carrier.

See above!

So you are saying because I have played 100 games in a month, I don’t have a life? And because you are playing real afl finals, you do? You really have filled in all the gaps haven’t you? How simplistic of you.

You complain because you have a choice between paying to win or playing to win. Sorry to break it to you, but if you want anything in life, you gotta earn it one way or another. But you would already know that because you have a life ‘playing finals’ and I dont…

Yeah has been tricky as since the Pro Team gameplay update. Difficulty increased big time. Played a solid 350-400 hours of management mode before the update and never struggled with tackles or marks. Now my defenders get outmarked in every contest, so if it's a genuine content, I just spoil and hope to god that I win the foot race. Tackles are nearly non existent. I enjoy the increased challenge but its frustrating just having the other team win every clearance because their OP ruck taps it to a midfielder who slips through 3 defenders butter fingers. Haven't gone looking for a slider to fix it yet but I'm sure there's something

Yeah has been tricky as since the Pro Team gameplay update. Difficulty increased big time. Played a solid 350-400 hours of management mode before the update and never struggled with tackles or marks. Now my defenders get outmarked in every contest, so if it's a genuine content, I just spoil and hope to god that I win the foot race. Tackles are nearly non existent. I enjoy the increased challenge but its frustrating just having the other team win every clearance because their OP ruck taps it to a midfielder who slips through 3 defenders butter fingers. Haven't gone looking for a slider to fix it yet but I'm sure there's something
Doesn’t look like there’s going to be another gameplay update either. At least this year.
It’s a shame because it’s so close yet so far at the same time. Makes me wonder if they’ll be able to iron some of these things out in the next iteration or if it’ll be much of the same story.
Would like to see a focus on Gameplay and Management mode in the next game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back