Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
I seriously haven't been this excited for a video game in years. I don't game nearly as much as I used to now that I have kids but this thing is 12 years coming for me. I think the last game that had this sort of anticipation of the unknown from me was probably Don Bradman 14. It has the potential to be anything.

I seriously haven't been this excited for a video game in years. I don't game nearly as much as I used to now that I have kids but this thing is 12 years coming for me. I think the last game that had this sort of anticipation of the unknown from me was probably Don Bradman 14. It has the potential to be anything.
Same here

Jesus prepare for a letdown then you two. It might be decent at launch but I'm on the side of the fence that what you saw was playing relatively true to what you'll get and they seem to be running late for launch but without updated ratings. Expecting a messy take off with big patches to come imo. So many people living off AFL live 1 like it was a masterpiece in here is bizarre.

Jesus prepare for a letdown then you two. It might be decent at launch but I'm on the side of the fence that what you saw was playing relatively true to what you'll get and they seem to be running late for launch but without updated ratings. Expecting a messy take off with big patches to come imo. So many people living off AFL live 1 like it was a masterpiece in here is bizarre.
What expectations did you have for the game? What we saw at launch pretty much met mine, and knowing it’s months old and that they’ve put heaps of work into it since gets me excited. Don’t believe that I’m being unreasonable

I do expect the launch to be a bit of a disaster but that's based on Big Ant's track record.

They do have a good reputation for patching so my hope lies there.

Most of their games get around 6/10 reviews so at launch I'm expecting that. 6/10 is what both Live and Evo 2 scored for reference.

I'm hoping it improves over time :) For me a lot rides on the AI. It was poor at the reveal, fix that up so we actually see evidence of assistant coach input etc, finally get rid of the tacklefest gameplay and it should be good.

Last edited:
Just in case you didn’t know the build on launch was 5 months old. That is 150 days of extra work gone into the game since, with more to come after release. I am one who thought Evo 2 was overall better than AFL LIVE. But from what I’ve seen from Wednesday gives me much confidence AFL 23 will easily be the best yet.

Just in case you didn’t know the build on launch was 5 months old. That is 150 days of extra work gone into the game since, with more to come after release. I am one who thought Evo 2 was overall better than AFL LIVE. But from what I’ve seen from Wednesday gives me much confidence AFL 23 will easily be the best yet.
How do you know it's from 5 months ago? Weren't the guernseys and players from this year?

She'll be right boys, Just show a bit of gratitude we even get a game. There's worse things in the world rather then picking on some minor issues we may have on release.
No, I think since Big Ant are willing to listen, we should tell them they forgot to add loads of key aspects of the sport into that demo, and there's strange gameplay mechanical errors from Evo 2 in it, that should be removed, ie remove the sprinting automatic play-on.

What expectations did you have for the game? What we saw at launch pretty much met mine, and knowing it’s months old and that they’ve put heaps of work into it since gets me excited. Don’t believe that I’m being unreasonable
At least they could have at least put in gang tackling, collisions and score reviews in this footy game, when they're in all their other sporting titles. Why didn't they put it in this one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A State of Origin match mode where you get to build your choice of state's team and take on another state could be fun.

Current and/or all-time team.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That it looked better and was going to focus on building the base engine for future iterations. Best hope a decent base to build on.

The only thing I believe is five months old are the ratings, people have read into that whatever way they want but that's how I've taken it.

Wrote up an article about the launch event/game if anyone is interested

Really well written article, thanks for this.

The footage of Marc Pittonet overtaking the midfielders with pace is a big worry. I spent lots of time in previous games adjusting the ruck speed ratings. Also concerned about the tacklefest. Hopefully there are sliders included in game.

Only reason I want to buy this game is get revenge.
Maybe next Thursday you might get your first win of the season :thumbsu:

happy dog GIF

How do you know it's from 5 months ago? Weren't the guernseys and players from this year?

Nobody knows but Ross was deliberately vague enough for people to take the most charitable interpretation of what he said and run with it. Fairly standard bigant approach.

No, I think since Big Ant are willing to listen, we should tell them they forgot to add loads of key aspects of the sport into that demo, and there's strange gameplay mechanical errors from Evo 2 in it, that should be removed, ie remove the sprinting automatic play-on.
You seem a bit angry mate, you alright ?

When the agreement was signed with the AFL to back this game, Champion data got on board, ratings had barely even been touched and looked at. As I mentioned before, the dev build that was shown on the 22nd March was a much earlier build.
B/A had so many thing to concentrate on before getting into looking at the ratings.
There have been many many hours of blood, sweat and tears that have been poured into this game.
The build that was shown was very early. Compared to what it is now, will surprise you, April 13 you will find out.
I don't give a **** about the ratings. As I said I don't believe the game we saw is five months old just the ratings.

How can the ratings have changed in the last 5 months when its been the offseason? But anyway as long as I can edit myself everything the only thing that matters is gameplay, let me play 2,000 matches at the MCG and forget the rest if it makes the gameplay better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back