Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
We will have greater opportunity to go through the jumpers, gameplay etc. as we await the disks, I'll make sure this is recorded by us or a streamer over the next week or so.

It's doubtful that they could arrive and get through customs etc. and get to retailers within two weeks (given they want them a week prior). If we do get them early then we will bring the date forward.
How does that work? Do you need a full version of the game on the disc before you ship or will that be done as the game downloads? Interested to learn how all that works

How does that work? Do you need a full version of the game on the disc before you ship or will that be done as the game downloads? Interested to learn how all that works
You need the disk to match the feature list or the game will fail platform holder submission.

It's pretty complex but generally you can get disks made if you have only online bugs remaining, so long as you make a patch to fix them, if there are offline bugs then that is less likely.

The idea being that if someone goes online then they are forced to patch, but playing offline, patches are not forced.

You need the disk to match the feature list or the game will fail platform holder submission.

It's pretty complex but generally you can get disks made if you have only online bugs remaining, so long as you make a patch to fix them, if there are offline bugs then that is less likely.

The idea being that if someone goes online then they are forced to patch, but playing offline, patches are not forced.
Get some sleep Big Ross man, sure it’s been a frustrating day, hope your blue boys get up tomorrow for you! Absolute ⭐

We will have greater opportunity to go through the jumpers, gameplay etc. as we await the disks, I'll make sure this is recorded by us or a streamer over the next week or so.

It's doubtful that they could arrive and get through customs etc. and get to retailers within two weeks (given they want them a week prior). If we do get them early then we will bring the date forward.
So if it is unlikely to get through customs and arrive in the next two weeks to allow for the retailer to receive them a week before release, you guys would have been aware of this well before today, the day they were supposed to have arrived at the retailers correct?
I would imagine, based on your timeline, you would have known about the transit delay 2 weeks ago?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would like Chewbacca as a ruckman as well.
Fun fact, on the original AFL Live I made a custom team full of pop culture characters. Ace Ventura, Rocky Balboa, Arnie, Freddy Krueger, etc. Chewbacca was indeed my ruck (dominated too).

Hear me out, I have an idea for a cross franchise marketing promotion...

View attachment 1651798

ron-howard-simpsons.gif

Can totally see a gameplan meeting happening before a 'recording'.

"The people want to see game play, make sure you tackle at every opportunity, and go for your marks, kick goals on the run and set shots from 50m or more :p"

My point is I keep seeing posts like this. Next year in this situation if they do hypothetically wait another year , you'll be saying the same stuff , wait another year, why not give them 5 years then LOL
And how is more development time for a video game of the most complex sport a bad thing? I said this even months ago, I think it would realistically need another year or 2 to be a more complete sim. The truth is, this is a lower budget developer developing a video game adaptation of one of the most complex sports on the planet.

Last edited:
And how is more development time for a video game of the most complex sport a bad thing?
Eventually you need to release the bloody game lol, constant delays don't look good for the company, you should know that, if they keep delaying the game year after year you'd be fine with that ? Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eventually you need to release the bloody game lol, constant delays don't look good for the company, you should know that, if they keep delaying the game year after year you'd be fine with that ? Lol
Delays and many years of development time are common in gaming. I don't know if you think the game won't be developed or improved on with delays. The game is already getting panned from that demo, so why wouldn't more development time be ideal? 3393594-4997914666-e8693.jpg

Didn’t we have some confirmation a few days ago that some JB Hi Fis have started receiving their PS5 stock? Ross said they all require it 1 week in advance so id imagine the ps5 discs arrived, the Xbox didn’t , they called in a panic and BigAnt had to postpone

Last edited:
Didn’t we have some confirmation a few days ago that some JB Hi Fis have started receiving their PS5 stock? Ross said they all require it 1 week in advance so id imagine the ps5 discs arrived, the Xbox didn’t , they called in a panic and BigAnt had to postpone

Yeah spot on. Thats what the whole issue has been, Xbox not having theirs here on time yet the PS5 orders are sitting in retailers as of Wednesday 🥲

So if it is unlikely to get through customs and arrive in the next two weeks to allow for the retailer to receive them a week before release, you guys would have been aware of this well before today, the day they were supposed to have arrived at the retailers correct?
I would imagine, based on your timeline, you would have known about the transit delay 2 weeks ago?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We knew there was a problem for the last two weeks, but it was a potentially solvable problem up until 8 days prior to release, as soon as we hit Thursday morning we knew we would need to delay.

Maybe they should wait next season who wants to play the footy game when it’s going to be round 8 * dat lost my copy
Ideally, I would prefer 1-2 more years of development. I think they've probably only had around 2 years at most of development time, which I don't think is enough time, especially these days, most games get more than 2 years of development time, and with it being such a huge and convoluted sport to adapt, a small team would need loads of time. We don't want yet another incomplete footy game, the bitter and impatient people can already select from a large library of those underdone footy titles. I think for us fanatics of the sport, we'd like to see a complete sim, even if it takes much more time.

We knew there was a problem for the last two weeks, but it was a potentially solvable problem up until 8 days prior to release, as soon as we hit Thursday morning we knew we would need to delay.
It’s okay BigAntStudios and JNT BA we understand, Happy Easter anyhow to you and everyone else on here 🍫

Last edited:
Think about that for a second - most people who get gifted a digital copy and then given their physical copy would immediately sell it sealed and undercut the retailers
I mean that's the cost of not being able to get the game out when you promised - this is all under the assumption that this isn't just to get extra time to develop the Day 1 patch so it's as best it can be. With the lack of gameplay, or anything really, it's the only reasonable conclusion.

I mean that's the cost of not being able to get the game out when you promised - this is all under the assumption that this isn't just to get extra time to develop the Day 1 patch so it's as best it can be. With the lack of gameplay, or anything really, it's the only reasonable conclusion.
Well it isn't a cost because it isn't something that is a realistic option

The reaction to the delay is bizarre. Understandably people are disappointed but it's only two weeks and the game will be better off for it. It's obvious it's out of Big Ant's control with one platform arriving on time one not.

There's heaps to play in the meantime and that's what is annoying for me as I'm reviewing 5-6 games in April to early May. April 13 was a nice spot in my schedule now it's launching in a much busier time. First world problems hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back