Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
Any chance of demos in other states now that you some extra time Ross? Would love to see you in Perth.

I did do Perth for AFL Live but can't see me getting there this time, as much as there is a delay, I've got trips planned that have me elsewhere.

Edit: It's not like I need an many excuses to get over there, love the Margaret River way too much!

Three weeks, not two, and it's not so much the delay (everyone wants a better game) but the delay as the culmination of everything else we've seen. Or rather, not seen.

No actual gameplay footage or anything other than reveal footage we've been told we can't read anything into? A week out from the supposed launch? Gameplay modes that may or may not make launch? Get outta here, this delay was always going to happen.
Three weeks, my mistake. But it's hardly the end of the world.

No one is forcing you to get the game the minute it releases, if you're that concerned about what you haven't seen just wait for reviews/YouTube videos.

The problem with AFL games is that the majority of players are going in expecting a near FiFA etc experience (not necessarily the people here but general consumers). You just need to see people's reaction to the videos that are out there to see that (granted they're not the best showcase of the game). Rather than celebrate a new AFL game coming out people are complaining. I get it, you want to see the game, everyone does, and they've said you'll have the chance to.

What gameplay modes are you talking about? BigAntStudios has said in this thread Star Team will be at launch. What else is unknown?

Also you say you delay was always going to happen, how much do you realistically except them to add (not polish) in three weeks?

I did do Perth for AFL Live but can't see me getting there this time, as much as there is a delay, I've got trips planned that have me elsewhere.

Edit: It's not like I need an many excuses to get over there, love the Margaret River way too much!

Understand. Cricket trip to the UK maybe?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey Ross,
Just for a change of pace, any chance we get some of those IR Gurus era mini games in the future. Did enjoy the around the world challenge 👌🏼

We'll have more scope for that sort of stuff in the next version, from our POV they're fun to make.

Since its Good Friday, and in the interest in trying to steer away from the delay s**t storm for a moment, BigAntStudios would you at all care to share how many legends are currently signed up for Star Team, or even a ballpark figure? 🙏🏼

Three weeks, my mistake. But it's hardly the end of the world.

No one is forcing you to get the game the minute it releases, if you're that concerned about what you haven't seen just wait for reviews/YouTube videos.

The problem with AFL games is that the majority of players are going in expecting a near FiFA etc experience (not necessarily the people here but general consumers). You just need to see people's reaction to the videos that are out there to see that (granted they're not the best showcase of the game). Rather than celebrate a new AFL game coming out people are complaining. I get it, you want to see the game, everyone does, and they've said you'll have the chance to.

What gameplay modes are you talking about? BigAntStudios has said in this thread Star Team will be at launch. What else is unknown?

Also you say you delay was always going to happen, how much do you realistically except them to add (not polish) in three weeks?
Brother.
Name one successful video game launch that didn’t show gameplay footage until 2-3 days before release ?
Because if this delay didn’t happen, that’s the realistic scenario.
Really can not understand the blind faith people are showing. Do we not remember their last couple of launches ?
I mean Big Ant can come up with all of these excuses as to why they were messy and ya’ll eat it up like a CEO of a company wouldn’t lie to us for the greater good of his company
I was as happy as the next person knowing that Big Ant were making the next AFL game, but there are literally massive red sirens going off. Not even flags at this point and ya’ll choose to ignore that. Baffles me

Since its Good Friday, and in the interest in trying to steer away from the delay s**t storm for a moment, BigAntStudios would you at all care to share how many legends are currently signed up for Star Team, or even a ballpark figure? 🙏🏼

Unfortunately I can't give a number, that would be for the AFL to announce, but I genuinely think people will be happy with the list.

I especially like that even in lean periods without club success, every team has a number of legends that deserve to be recognised, and it gives us fans something to celebrate.

Unfortunately I can't give a number, that would be for the AFL to announce, but I genuinely think people will be happy with the list.

I especially like that even in lean periods without club success, every team has a number of legends that deserve to be recognised, and it gives us fans something to celebrate.

Thank you for responding! Also you may have confirmed earlier, but Legends will be added in post-launch yeah? I’d assume it works similar to 2K’s MyTeam where players sign deals and get added in even months after game launch?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BigAntStudios Hey Ross, thanks for the activeness on the thread.

For star team, is there scope to have different versions of players in the game? For example, having a 2008 Buddy so we can play with his prime version. And moreover, is it easy for you guys to deage a face scan to make players look younger if you were to do this?

Will there be any appearances in Adelaide for Gather Round?

I've cut out all the FIFA stuff cos that wasn't really relevant to anything.

Gameplay modes? Before the delay, at the reveal, star mode or whatever it's called wasn't going to be there at launch. Or at least unlikely to be there. Now it will be there. So that's something.

It's not a case of ok we now have an extra three weeks let's add all this new stuff, it's more like based on everything we've seen (and haven't seen), the 13th was never a realistic launch date to begin with.

I'm not arguing a delay is a bad thing (as I've repeated ad nauseum , everyone here wants the best game possible) nor am I demanding that Big Ant gimme the game now now now, all I'm saying is that people here (notably Quivorir ) predicted this ages ago, given how secretive everything has been (no gameplay footage is absolute madness and a giant red flag this close to the supposed launch no matter which way it's spun), and how selective Big Ant have been with answering fairly innocuous questions about the actual gameplay.

Leading into the delay, accepting the lack of anything concrete, I feel a lot of people have had their head buried in the sand over what we've been shown so far, giving Big Ant far more leeway than their track record would otherwise permit.

Or maybe they're just the unluckiest developers ever?

Last edited:
I'm a touch confused about the comments surrounding the 13th was never a realistic launch date, the game wasn't ready etc.

Didn't we literally have a poster confirm JB stores have their ps5 versions?

The game was clearly ready otherwise it wouldnt be on a disk in stores..

To get the game to disk it has to be near on "perfect' from what I gather otherwise they simply don't get the tick of approval.

So I'm just struggling to understand the 'it wasn't ready ' narrative?

To get the game to disk it has to be near on "perfect' from what I gather otherwise they simply don't get the tick of approval.
Based off the completely botched launches we've seen (Cyberpunk being the obvious one) I am pretty confident in saying this is not true.

And people saying the game isn't ready aren't saying its not on the disk, they're saying based off of the footage they have shown us the game needs a lot longer in the oven.

Last edited:
Based off the completely botched launches we've seen (Cyberpunk being the obvious one) I am pretty confident in saying this is not true.

And people saying the game isn't ready aren't saying its not on the disk, they're saying based off of the footage they have shown us the game needs a lot longer in the over.
I really don't think many companies would run the gauntlet of putting a half baked game on disk after seeing the bottom out of cyberpunk.

Surely they are almost the exception and not the rule.

I’d like to believe this but there’s no evidence for this.
The new motion capturing that wasn't in the previous WW games isn't a clear indication of progression? If you look at the gameplay, there's all sorts of new mechanics, like trying to shrug off a bear hug tackle, or the ai moving in more specific positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back