Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
Drop a video, showing a snippet of what the game was all that time ago, obviously game getting better by now. is there talk of the facial animation? The clarity? Smoothness of the animation? Nope, wake up to pages of whining from the usual suspects that make this such a great place to visit.
Probably because you're avoiding showing gameplay champ. You know, the most important part of a video game?

1 person gives a shit about mason Cox glasses and you jump at the opportunity to show it but you still avoid showing any game play at all costs.

Keen! On the subject of play sessions, do you anticipate any weekend ones or after work ones?
It's up to the retailers, we're willing to do as many as we can - they're not really set up for it so it's pretty hard to organise.

Those that remember the AFL Live ones may recall that we took dev kits and smallish monitors, making ad-hoc stands at various EB's.

Drop a video, showing a snippet of what the game was all that time ago, obviously game getting better by now. is there talk of the facial animation? The clarity? Smoothness of the animation? Nope, wake up to pages of whining from the usual suspects that make this such a great place to visit.

Ignore works well, don't feed the trolls and the place will be better for it.

Disagree with the marketing of the game and move on, and next time an online delivery is not on time, be sure to complain to the manufacturer.

I'll no doubt see some of you at the play-sessions, where all but Star Team will be shown, and you can grab a controller and see the game with your own eyes. I look forward to catching up in person.

Edit: Timing is everything...
What about all the loyal followers who back you guys black and blue?
Just give them doughnuts in spite of the critics?

I feel like there has been positivity for the things you have mentioned. All criticism i have seen has come about gameplay and the lack provided.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ross anytime anyone gives even a minor criticism.

lalala GIF by Offspring on TEN

What about all the loyal followers who back you guys black and blue?
Just give them doughnuts in spite of the critics?

I feel like there has been positivity for the things you have mentioned. All criticism i have seen has come about gameplay and the lack provided.

I'm still here? Was making the point I look forward to catching up in person, showing the game.

Apologies if that sounded like I'm not posting here - not going to let the trolls win.

I'm still here? Was making the point I look forward to catching up in person, showing the game.

Apologies if that sounded like I'm not posting here - not going to let the trolls win.
The real trolls are the people on Facebook with the "looks like a ps2 game" crap.

The comments here can be ridiculous, but generally I think come from a mutual place of anticipation of wanting a great AFL game.
I think almost everyone here would be in a agreement the graphics and animations look top notch.
The only thing we haven't seen is true up to date gameplay hence the impatience from people.
The excitement of big ant making an AFL game has been pretty obvious here.
Would be nice for that to be acknowledged.

It's up to the retailers, we're willing to do as many as we can - they're not really set up for it so it's pretty hard to organise.

Those that remember the AFL Live ones may recall that we took dev kits and smallish monitors, making ad-hoc stands at various EB's.

Awesome news! I was there for the AFL Live ones and I’ll be there again provided times allow me to be.

Are you playing on doing one of those developer playthroughs like you did with IGN with those cricket games?

Most of the comments about the clip were positive. Somebody compared it to FIFA. At this stage everyone knows it’s the best looking AFL game to date and it’s really not close.

The big question is still about how the game plays. Whenever bigant make the choice to let that cat out of the bag there will be plenty of engagement here.

If the game is very good and BigAnt have a marketing strategy to hold off gameplay until very close to the release date to maximise engagement then you can see how frustrating it would be for Ross to read this thread.

I think it’s important for BigAnt to mindful of the fact that their strategy would also align with a game that isn’t up to standard yet. If you have a substandard game, holding off on releasing gameplay footage is probably the best way to maximise the record preorders for the game.

Most people don’t know if this is a good game being marketed differently or a bad game being marketed appropriately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shows a 2 second clip
Wants praise for said 2 second clip
Cops criticism in an online forum
Whinges about those whinging about the 2 second clip that no one asked for because really, we all just want gameplay

My head hurts 😪

From relentlessly whining?

Time to give them a re-education on Australian sport!!!!! (pizza and beer bribes may assist in this).

I made the offer but I don't think they'll do it. What made them special for Cricket was that they played the game and we had banter for an hour, totally unscripted and them trying whatever they wanted.

If we did it for this game then we'd probably have to play it, wouldn't be the same.

I made the offer but I don't think they'll do it. What made them special for Cricket was that they played the game and we had banter for an hour, totally unscripted and them trying whatever they wanted.

If we did it for this game then we'd probably have to play it, wouldn't be the same.

Seems silly but what about other local avenues ? like kotaku (the AU site) or the press-start crew ?

Any publicity is good publicity (well other than dealing with bigfooty which is a nightmare ha!)

I wish they'd do it, imagine the foreigners seeing Aussie rules for the first time via AFL 23, they'd be super confused.

Might be time for this thread to be stopped or restricted to only allow certain posters, pretty hard to sit through and read a lot of this.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
How precious. 😂

Might be time for this thread to be stopped or restricted to only allow certain posters, pretty hard to sit through and read a lot of this.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
you dont need to read eveyone's posts. I'm sure the mods will take care of anyone that gets out of line.
edit - although I would like to see this one locked once the game is released and a new one started.

you dont need to read eveyone's posts. I'm sure the mods will take care of anyone that gets out of line.
edit - although I would like to see this one locked once the game is released and a new one started.

It needs to be declared certified legendary and preserved for everyone to read in 10 years time!

Out of curiosity, how many people here are planning to attend any of the play sessions? Provided it suits your personal availability of course…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back