Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
Isn't it crazy that a couple of 1 minitue videos of a set shot look far better than anything WW has done in three attempts.

The standout thing for me that shows WWs just doesn't get the game of footy is the way players push back after a mark in Evo 2. They run with back facing the goals every time. Such a simple thing but imo one of the things as footy fan is inexcusable in a Sim footy game.
Btw is your footy game still in development?

Maybe we will see it in 2023 after all!

I for one am happy to wait "as long as it takes"

I actually picked up a second hand copy of AFL Live. Sold off my original copy years ago. It's not BC so I haven't played it yet, because it means setting up my 360 again, but still.

I do remember marking being arse. I won the Grand Final on the hardest difficulty and hardly ever even tried to mark, would just spoil the ball towards goal and run onto it every time. So I hope improvements are made there. And actual variety in player speed and ground dimensions. No more tackle fests!

Last edited:
Oh wow, that’s an even more realistic set shot animation than I could ever have imagined. So fluid and has the uniqueness between the two players which looks awesome. Extremely excited for it, especially since it’ll probably be slightly better by release too. Never thought I’d see an AFL game in Big Ant’s hands but am extremely happy about it

Maybe we will see it in 2023 after all!

I for one am happy to wait "as long as it takes"

I actually picked up a second hand copy of AFL Live. Sold off my original copy years ago. It's not BC so I haven't played it yet, because it means setting up my 360 again, but still.

I do remember marking being arse. I won the Grand Final on the hardest difficulty and hardly ever even tried to mark, would just spoil the ball towards goal and run onto it every time. So I hope improvements are made there. And actual variety in player speed and ground dimensions. No more tackle fests!
Would be nice to feel in control when you play possession football

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Isn't it crazy that a couple of 1 minitue videos of a set shot look far better than anything WW has done in three attempts.

The standout thing for me that shows WWs just doesn't get the game of footy is the way players push back after a mark in Evo 2. They run with back facing the goals every time. Such a simple thing but imo one of the things as footy fan is inexcusable in a Sim footy game.
Don't think it's appropriate to shit talk devs, but - funny but very cringe story:

a few years ago (probably half a decade now but my brain can't tell nowadays) my friend was working as a delivery driver for Red Rooster and was delivering some chicken - a guy answers and my friend makes small talk "you guys up to much?" - "ah, we're just playing some video games" - my friend, a gamer asks what game they're playing - they say it's AFL Evolution.
My friend, for whatever reason, starts talking trash saying like "oh man that game sucks!! why would you be playing that!!" - the guy was like "we think it's pretty good".

Anyway, turns out he was delivering to WW HQ.

Don't think it's appropriate to s**t talk devs, but - funny but very cringe story:

a few years ago (probably half a decade now but my brain can't tell nowadays) my friend was working as a delivery driver for Red Rooster and was delivering some chicken - a guy answers and my friend makes small talk "you guys up to much?" - "ah, we're just playing some video games" - my friend, a gamer asks what game they're playing - they say it's AFL Evolution.
My friend, for whatever reason, starts talking trash saying like "oh man that game sucks!! why would you be playing that!!" - the guy was like "we think it's pretty good".

Anyway, turns out he was delivering to WW HQ.
It's just my opinion on the game I wouldn't say it's sh*t talking them. The results speak for themselves, actually 5 attempts at making the game and the mark push back is not even right?

Pretty funny story though 😂

It's just my opinion on the game I wouldn't say it's sh*t talking them. The results speak for themselves, actually 5 attempts at making the game and the mark push back is not even right?

Pretty funny story though 😂
I don't think Evo 2 is that bad. Definitely the best footy game so far, but like you say it was their 5th attempt and it's not that much better than Big Ant's first attempt.

Pretty happy to see the look of the new game.
Always excited for a release from BigAntStudios.

While there will be a need for good gameplay, career mode, and of course, adjustable sock height 😀, my Huge wish is to allow online co-op games, against adjustable-level AI.
Loved playing with mates online, but Evo2 only had AI on Easy difficulty.
If we could play together on Hard or Legend, we’d have much more longevity out of the game.

Hoping that’s included.

Imagine, just imagine if this game came out during the AFLW season this year!?

It would be great if bigant could start releasing a new game each season. I’m sure if it was a good game, people would be happy coughing up $90 a year for some progression and updated rosters. This would fast track improvement for years to come.

I’m not a fan of the current model of a game release, next season dlc, two year wait, repeat. I’d much rather a yearly cycle then having to spend hours upon hours updating lists, creating players myself. In a year when there is no game or dlc, I’d easily spend 30+ hours updating lists, player attributes etc, so that it feels current. Much rather pay $90 for it to be done for me, with some improvements thrown in there.

Last edited:
Imagine, just imagine if this game came out during the AFLW season this year!?

It would be great if bigant could start releasing a new game each season. I’m sure if it was a good game, people would be happy coughing up $90 a year for some progression and updated rosters. This would fast track improvement for years to come.

I’m not a fan of the current model of a game release, next season dlc, two year wait, repeat. I’d much rather a yearly cycle then having to spend hours upon hours updating lists, creating players myself. In a year when there is no game or dlc, I’d easily spend 30+ hours updating lists, player attributes etc, so that it feels current. Much rather pay $90 for it to be done for me, with some improvements thrown in there.
Bro why is it taking you hours to update lists? What are you doing? Also why create players when you can just download them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope relative player heights follow the same detail...
That’s one of the things i’m hopin for. One of my biggest gripes in the last few games is having a goal celebration cutscene and seeing Dayne Zorko and Eric Hipwood celebrating together and them both being the same height. Here’s to hoping

The ball spins backwards when kicked! Another good sign.

Thoughts on the menu:

Play now
Season- Should be 'Season Mode' for the sakes of consistency.
Management Mode- Interesting they've gone with this instead of career? Assuming this means be a pro is not included which i wasn't a fan of anyway. Hopefully state leagues are included and executed more realistically. for example an injured senior player can come back through the reserves and no double ups of players playing reserves and seniors on same round.
Online- I liked WWs AFL game day, was just poorly executed. Ultimate team? dare to dream.
Training and Tutorials-
Academy- this would be the footy factory equivalent. Would be cool if you could create draft players for a custom draft pool.
Settings- I liked the camera mode in AFL evo 2 where you could move the players vision for the switch kick etc. hopefully this is included.
Hall of Fame- Good to see this back, brownlow, norm smith, coleman, NAB rising star, premierships won. Hopefully it keeps track of historical records as well such as all time goal kicking leaderboard. Also in game season records would be good like in AFL LIVE 2004, such as longest goal kicked, most season disposals, tackles, goals, marks etc. Would also be cool if you could upload your best marks, goals onto here.

View attachment 1515104
'Season' and 'Management mode' as separate game modes?
Hall of fame???

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN
Season most likely equates to you play a normal season as a club (similar to the past with AFL titles) while Management Mode is probably where you either be a rookie/listed player in a pathway system or become a head coach from a club (alas to FIFA series).

Hall of Fame though could be anything and I can’t wait to be able to play the game, come next season :thumbsu:

Hopefully all the clubs from AFL to the state-wide leagues are included in the game, for both male and female counterparts, and also incorporate local state-wide grounds to make the experience more realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back