Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
There is so much infrastructure that will come from our other games that on their own, without addition, would already make this the deepest AFL game to date.

Just on this point. What about an Ultimate Team gamemode? Is this something you're looking into or would it be too much work? I mean let's be honest it's a massive cash cow for games like Fifa, NBA2k, Madden etc. and would add a fun dynamic to the game being able to have some of the best players from around the league on one team.

Best bloody news. It's been a dark era ever since 2013, starting with that atrocity AFL Live 2. I can't believe there are actually Wicked Witch fanboys, their footy games were crap. AFL Live 1 was the closest to actually getting something resembling PES quality, ie the fluidity, weight, ai. Ross told me his original sequel plans here. plans.PNG

Last edited:
I don't think who commentates matters too much. I think a style like AFL 99 commentary where there are no player names just comments on the gameplay like "that's a hard tackle" or "what a mark" possibly something like "he dishes off that hands" it would take out the abrubt changes in recording.

You could still have side comments as well done in a similar way
That probably had the best commentary, and Bruce did actually say their names.

Thought WW had built a solid foundation with the Evolution series. Did thoroughly enjoy Big Ant's AFL Live back in the day though, so their next title should only build on that. Good luck to Ross and co!
Evolution 2's gameplay was garbage. It was all over the place, and had zero fluidity. I went back to Live 1 to get more of a fluid and controlled experience.

Gee a lot of people jumping the gun talking about an Ultimate Team mode. A couple very basic things that have annoyed me with previous AFL titles are set shots for goal and torpedos.

Set shots have been far too easy, I enjoyed the mini game style goal kicking had in the AFL 2006/2007 games.

Torpedos consistently go perfectly straight and far in AFL games, meaning people just torpedo from one end of the ground to the other. Torps are used barely once per game in real life and that's usually a kick after the siren from 80m+.

Also: if Power fans do the Never Tear Us Apart before games I'll buy 20 copies

One thing about Evo 2 that was very fustrating was the "rubber banding" or "Catch up" feature where it was so badly implemented that when it was "activated" there was absolutely no way to stop the other team while it was on. My 6 year old scored goal after goal on me at certain moments and it was obviously the rubber banding. Then it would go back to "normal" again and I could tackle, mark etc.

Please for the love of God if something like that needs to be in this game, please have it well implemented and not a sudden god mode for the other team. It's literally the number one reason I can't play Evo 2 because it makes the pointless.

An Ultimate Team like mode would be great but you've gotta nail the gameplay. The players have to feel like their ratings matter. Having small advantages for players such as smaller players being quicker, while taller players are slower but have better marking. If the gameplay results in Caleb Daniel easily outmarking Buddy, theres no point to having an Ultimate team mode since lesser players would be worth just as much as the top dogs.

Would love to have the mode but please make sure the gameplay is flawless.

An Ultimate Team like mode would be great but you've gotta nail the gameplay. The players have to feel like their ratings matter. Having small advantages for players such as smaller players being quicker, while taller players are slower but have better marking. If the gameplay results in Caleb Daniel easily outmarking Buddy, theres no point to having an Ultimate team mode since lesser players would be worth just as much as the top dogs.

Would love to have the mode but please make sure the gameplay is flawless.
That's it. We can go on and on about how great extra features or better commentary would be, but without great gameplay, it'll all be forgettable within a few weeks, like the Evo games were.

I have confidence BigAnt can do it again, since Live 1 was a great foundation game 11 years ago. Since then, they've made some really quality games (Ashes and Cricket 19 being the best, imo), plus they seem to have much more of an idea of how an AFL game should play. Excited to see what they come up with.

That's it. We can go on and on about how great extra features or better commentary would be, but without great gameplay, it'll all be forgettable within a few weeks, like the Evo games were.

I have confidence BigAnt can do it again, since Live 1 was a great foundation game 11 years ago. Since then, they've made some really quality games (Ashes and Cricket 19 being the best, imo), plus they seem to have much more of an idea of how an AFL game should play. Excited to see what they come up with.
Exactly, honestly couldn't give a stuff about the commentary tbh, it can be as rushed as AFL Wii for all I care. Even graphics I'm not worried about, just in need of a game I can play and have as much fun with as the day I bought it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think one thing that needs to be a real focus is the set shot mechanics. It is the most important element in AFL and there hasn't been a single game that has got it right. It needs to be simple enough to learn so it isn't frustrating kicking out on the full all the time, but difficult to master to actually make it satisfying and rewarding. Fortunately I think BA already have the perfect mechanic with the pace bowling in their cricket games. Do the set shots exactly like that and I'll be a very happy customer.

Would love them to focus on stoppages and ruck work. Have an option where the ruckman can chose to tap it to three different options like a real contest or choose to belt it in another direction. Can’t wait for this!

Evolution 2's gameplay was garbage. It was all over the place, and had zero fluidity. I went back to Live 1 to get more of a fluid and controlled experience.

I'm assuming you've tried but just in case:-

Crank up to 80:
  • fumbles
  • punching
  • kicking power (not distance, the other one)

Cut down to 10:
  • handballs
  • fatigue
  • tackle distance
  • bump distance
  • off the ball tolerance
  • all umpire infringements
  • clearance kick (or make this one ~30, 10 is pretty short)

I've missed a couple but these will get you going. It's twice as smooth and it is tragic thinking of how many people would never have played it this way.

Also Evo 2 @144hz on PC is pretty nice. I wouldn't play it any other way.

I'm not going to argue Evo 2 is a great game. Everyone has their opinion. But the fact you can download new team lists, change the game play and use more technical controls nudges it ahead imo. If you play on Legendary with a rookie ruckmen and not make players lead to the ball it's a real challenge, whereas the Live 1 AI is easy to beat 100% of the time when you start drawing the man.

Last edited:
I see a lot of people talking about how hit and miss the Big Ant cricket games were.

Why didn't each one build on the one before to be better and better each time?
I haven't played the latest one and only played Cricket 19 after it had been out 6 months.

I think from what I've gathered with these games is that they have launched with a few bugs (which is where the "hit and miss" reviews come in) that Big Ant have quickly fixed, but the overall features have been a consistent improvement on previous games.

I haven't played the latest one and only played Cricket 19 after it had been out 6 months.

I think from what I've gathered with these games is that they have launched with a few bugs (which is where the "hit and miss" reviews come in) that Big Ant have quickly fixed, but the overall features have been a consistent improvement on previous games.

There were particular issues with C22 that relate to everyone working from home - all the pieces seemed great in isolation but when it came to put them all together they didn't make as a cohesive a game as we, and those that purchased, would have liked. Add to that the Paine issues and time really wasn't on our side at all. It honestly took us by surprise.

Since release we have patched the game to the point it should have been at launch, but for the inconvenience people have suffered, we have added extras that were never planned and added things requested by players, and are still doing this in a patch every Wednesday.

There were particular issues with C22 that relate to everyone working from home - all the pieces seemed great in isolation but when it came to put them all together they didn't make as a cohesive a game as we, and those that purchased, would have liked. Add to that the Paine issues and time really wasn't on our side at all. It honestly took us by surprise.

Since release we have patched the game to the point it should have been at launch, but for the inconvenience people have suffered, we have added extras that were never planned and added things requested by players, and are still doing this in a patch every Wednesday.

Is the new AFL game still in development? Will it be released in 2022?

I don't think you're the only studio that's encountered these issues. Some of the biggest studios in the world (I'm looking at you Rockstar) have faced similar challenges due to the current work conditions.

Cricket 19 is the best Aussie made sports game I've ever played (I'm looking forward to getting my hands on 22 soon), and I'm sure you guys will absolutely kill it with the new footy game.

I thought AFL Evolution 2's commentary was pretty good. It still had a lot of room for improvement but Huddo actually tried to add some excitement which was a refreshing change from Cometti's never ending stream of jokes. I liked that there was a revamp of the script too, a lot of the lines before AFL Evo 2 had been carried over all the way from the IR Gurus games. I'd like to see a step further and have the commentary reflect the situation of the game. Specifically, during close games in the dying minutes, or comebacks from behind the commentators should be on edge. Blowouts should also be taken into account, the commentators and crowd shouldn't be celebrating when the losing team kicks a goal while being 100 points down. With the amount of thrashings some players constantly give, you could even have lines about breaking scoring records if a team scores too many points or a player kicks a lot of goals. Season mode would really benefit from commentary about the teams recent performance too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back