Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
I doubt they'll have too much to show for a while yet as they still appear focused primarily on Cricket 22. I hope I'm wrong tho.
A monthly developer update for the AFL game would be awesome.
I primarily don’t think that would be the case, once a game comes out they start (or have) started their next project. I’d say they’d have a dedicated team for Cricket 22 patches and hotfixes, and a team for AFL23/24! I’m sure they’ll release something to get us all excited soon enough!

I reckon BA would be neck deep right now and towards the end of the year Ross will be super tempted to show us a few things but will hold off because nothing would be locked in just yet. What better way to piss off a tiny fan base than to include a cool marking animation that doesn't make the final product for example.

The most interesting thing I reckon right now is the ambition. Will BA go big bang develop everything we expect over time, or will it be a bit like Live 2011 where there'll be a fantastic core game with other features coming in the next one? Interesting times.

Not 100% sure on the Big Footy policies around this but thought I'd put it out there that we are looking for programmers and artists that love footy, and sport in general. If you'd like to join us here in Southbank, please drop a line to careers@bigant.com

All enquiries will be held in the strictest confidence.
Just to further piggy back onto this, BigAnt has recently opened a job listing for Junior QA.

So if you are Melbourne based, or can be and have working rights in Australia (this is specifically an in office job at the Melbourne studio), BigAnt are looking for additions to the QA team.

You'll need good general IT skills, but the selection criteria has a particular focus for people with high interest in sports, particularly those that we are working on games for - AFL, Cricket, Tennis and Rugby Union. If that's you, I'd encourage you to apply.

This role isn't looking specifically for people with experience in the industry, more really looking for those that know their sports and love gaming as well.

If you're lucky enough, you might even get an interview with me. :p

Link below:

Just to further piggy back onto this, BigAnt has recently opened a job listing for Junior QA.

So if you are Melbourne based, or can be and have working rights in Australia (this is specifically an in office job at the Melbourne studio), BigAnt are looking for additions to the QA team.

You'll need good general IT skills, but the selection criteria has a particular focus for people with high interest in sports, particularly those that we are working on games for - AFL, Cricket, Tennis and Rugby Union. If that's you, I'd encourage you to apply.

This role isn't looking specifically for people with experience in the industry, more really looking for those that know their sports and love gaming as well.

Link below:
Leak us some juicy details on the new AFL game. ;)

May be a big ask for a indie company but proper licensed scoreboards like channel 7 and fox scoreboards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link below:
I would 100% apply if I lived in Melbourne.

I really hope with this game every game feels different every team plays different every player plays different even if they have the same rating overall as another player. All players have traits and badges that there good at to make them feel different. And there are plenty of tactical options as coach on how you want your team to play each game or quarter

I definitely think it needs to be alot more free flowing 18 1v1s just shouldnt happen, Would love to see realistic kicking actions e.g Gryan Miers field kicking and set shot kicking and also Buddy Franklin's arc when kicking a set shot! Hoping to hear more news regarding the game very soon...

13:40 of this podcast, player photoshoots for the game looks like they are underway

Nice find.
Still annoyed that photoshoots seemingly have to be done so early in development, so when the game eventually comes out, all the facescans will be a year or two out of date. Can't they hold off doing them until as late as possible in development, and just use placeholders for the meantime?

Nice find.
Still annoyed that photoshoots seemingly have to be done so early in development, so when the game eventually comes out, all the facescans will be a year or two out of date. Can't they hold off doing them until as late as possible in development, and just use placeholders for the meantime?
Just give everyone Ross' face for now.

Nice find.
I dont think it would be that hard to update the hair on facescans with the technology thats around now!

Hello,
looooog-time viewer and first-time poster.
I was a huge fan of live 11's player ratings (evo nsm).
There was an actual difference in players' attributes somewhat likened to their real-life counterparts at that time.
I remember booting up Evo for the first time and checking all the player's stats and noticed that a lot of the high-rated players all had high-speed ratings.

Oh and historical statistic logging would be suuuuuper sxc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back