Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
That's how I read it, I didn't think you were being snarky.

Everyone is on edge, a nice info dump that isn't a screenshot of a coin or boot studs or a blade of grass would go nicely right about now.
Take me back to when we could all joke about tins of milo instead of jumping on someone for summarizing an important paragraph 😵‍💫

The reading comprehension of quite a few in this thread leaves a lot to be desired.
A month later this still rings true. People getting angry at people for no reason at all because they can't read.

Take me back to when we could all joke about tins of milo instead of jumping on someone for summarizing an important paragraph 😵‍💫
It read a lot like you were saying, "So in short, you found out nothing and we're no closer to knowing more."

I'll take you at your word, but my point stands that there has been a lot of brattish behaviour on here of late. I'm on board that there should be more info out there, but the way it's expressed could be more eloquent and tactful at times.

What mode will you guys be checking out first, when you play it for the first time?
Management mode it is my go to in the NBA games, never been a fan of ultimate or my team but willing to have a look at AFL.

No interest in player career mode. Very interested to see if the community creations are as good as the cricket side of things, some of the player likeness and kits on the academy there are first class.

It read a lot like you were saying, "So in short, you found out nothing and we're no closer to knowing more."

I'll take you at your word, but my point stands that there has been a lot of brattish behaviour on here of late. I'm on board that there should be more info out there, but the way it's expressed could be more eloquent and tactful at times.
Wdym, this is great news! As I’ve mentioned before I was debating between the digital and physical copies and now that I know the release date won’t be broken I’ll stick with digital. This information has directly influenced my buying decision, that’s a good thing.

Don’t know why you’re expecting a thread full of Australian males between the ages of 18-35 all dog hungry over a football video game to have tactful and eloquent speech.

Love this thread but sometimes it does my absolute head in.

8 days to go…

Always do a North v Richmond quick play very first up. Normally lose because I don't know the controls yet though.

Yeah I do similar. Eagles vs a team with zero chance of a jumper clash like Sydney or Gold Coast.

Usually on the lowest difficulty too so I can learn the controls while still having fun (even if I lose). Then I'll gradually increase the difficulty before hitting career mode where I plan to create a 17/18 year old version of myself and play as the whole team.

Assuming that's possible.

Don’t know why you’re expecting a thread full of Australian males between the ages of 18-35 all dog hungry over a football video game to have tactful and eloquent speech.
Good point. My bad for the assumption on your specific case. Play on!

Here are a few screenshots from AFL LIVE 2004 season mode which show some things I appreciated in this game. Firstly here are The season menu options to give some context.
0E7D0235-07C5-40E7-A04C-9FBBFD4DC529.jpeg
Next we have the screen which shows when you click on a teams setup F312D935-6360-4955-AC82-EF6024FBF212.jpeg
Was very thorough. Below shows team management selection. Big fan of the ease at which you could compare player matchups. 48017AC8-9363-4A13-8249-6C408F65FA47.jpeg
Even more depth for comparing player match ups!
79E3D621-A992-46AF-91E9-77345407C261.jpeg
The tactics were great for its time. You could even assign different basic tactics to individual players. 367451E1-85AA-46B7-BB9C-BDCDBF08683C.jpeg
Lastly my favourite, the media awards leaderboards. This screen below would automatically come up at the end of a round. Great for tracking Brownlow votes, Coleman, top 10 leaderboard for various stats. Really cool. PS- was probably the highlight of AFL video games for me as a child. I would literally play a whole season using all 16 teams to impact the stats. The only AFL video game that actually produced realistic stat leaders. Midfielders leading disposals etc. 52D19A49-689D-4FFE-869A-7E474B6190BE.jpeg
Anyway these are some of my favourite aspects of an AFL game apart from gameplay of course.

Last edited:
What mode will you guys be checking out first, when you play it for the first time?
My traditional first matchup is always a Freo V West Coast quick match.

When I get to an ‘actual’ game mode, it’ll probably be a coach career closely followed by a player career.

The sheer amount of modes has me excited, not only do we have a coach and player career mode but there’s also online (I’ve missed the great online matchups of Live 1 ) and star team (I’ve never really dabbled in ultimate team modes before but I’m keen to check out an AFL version).

And I haven’t even mentioned creating retro or local teams in the academy.

Good point. My bad for the assumption on your specific case. Play on!
Talk about snarky.

All banter and all love of course, sorry jdoggdrool fair bump, play on! It’s hard to read tones on a forum

Huge props to loverz23 for making that call. Calling EB Games is never a fun experience, glad you stuck around and got a full explanation! Definitely helped me decide how I’m going to spend my money!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player career mode, I’ve been playing player career for cricket 22 and love it, so I’ll be jumping into it for afl 23. With the video twisties3 did with Ross I love the fact that a player will be judge on how well they accomplish their given roles and not just based purely on stats. Would also love to know how smart the AI is for that, Will roles change depending on the way your team is performing?

That's how I read it, I didn't think you were being snarky.

Everyone is on edge, a nice info dump that isn't a screenshot of a coin or boot studs or a blade of grass would go nicely right about now.

Speak for yourself, it's a video game.

Literally nothing to be on edge about.

Had to tap out of this thread last week for my own sanity. Any news on gameplay drops or play sessions?
Welcome back to the madness! A few screenshots of intros and the coin, Ross said maybe play sessions in Melbourne next Tuesday but privacy is causing headaches. Otherwise just lots of milo talk and bickering, few mod warnings etc.

You do realise loverz23 has given us more helpful info today than JNT BA has given in 3 months?
I do appreciate how people forget that I'm not here to announce anything, even after the times it's been said. Nor is it my job to even supply anything, I'm doing it cause I want to give even just something, but that's fine I don't have to be here. I'll cancel the creators I have lined up as well, so enjoy release day! I have three other games to take care of and monitor.

I feel I need to add /s cause I'm sure someone will take it seriously.

I do appreciate how people forget that I'm not here to announce anything, even after the times it's been said. Nor is it my job to even supply anything, I'm doing it cause I want to give even just something, but that's fine I don't have to be here. I'll cancel the creators I have lined up as well, so enjoy release day! I have three other games to take care of and monitor.

Ay yo, you just said creatorS this implies more than one unlike the other day. Everyone pester him so he lets more slip

Hi all,

This thread is becoming really, really difficult to manage. Over the last ten pages we have actioned at least five reports, deleted or edited between 20-30 posts, and handed out several thread bans and official warnings/infractions. It is becoming ridiculous.

We are also fielding a great deal of moderator criticism. It might help you to know that those who support BA are criticising us for allowing complaining about the game, and those that are criticising BA are having a go at us for protecting them. Go figure.

Let me be really clear: we are not going to stop optimists from being positive, nor are we going to stop those who are critical of what they've seen so far from posting complaints. Both are entirely justified and reasonable opinions that are worthy of being shared, no matter what you think about them.

Things that aren't tolerated:
  • Personal attacks against others (yes, this includes the passive-aggressive sniping we've deleted umpteen times every day)
  • Repetitive posts that serve only to bait others
  • Repeated complaining about what other people are posting
  • Posting videos from "that" YouTuber (you know the one) just to poke fun at them
  • Public mod criticism (as with anything on BF - if you have an issue, PM us
We are simply at the point where we cannot keep this thread going the way it is. This means that we are going to be very liberal with the thread ban function. If you're a repeat offender of any of the above, we'll see you in a week.

To everyone else: please help us by reporting posts that you think contravene this, and try to keep it civil. We're all eagerly awaiting seeing more of the game, whether we're ambivalent, unsure, or certain it's going to be great. Just chill out a bit and try to enjoy the thread.

Thanks.

I agree

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where was that bloke saying his sister who worked at JB was going to get it for him early

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m still here . And I’ll happily send a video once I get it . You can say embargo this , blah blah blah. But if you think that things like this don’t happen you’re very naive

I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10

Get ir wrong and you must release the game early

/s

I’m still here . And I’ll happily send a video once I get it . You can say embargo this , blah blah blah. But if you think that things like this don’t happen you’re very naive
I just can’t wait for the game

Depends on the platform, and status of the game.

PS4/PS5 when Gold and no bugs found in the master or patch, then it can be "rapidly patched".

Xbox when Gold and no bugs found in the master or patch, then after release you need a 5 day+ patch process and then it can be "rapidly patched".

Otherwise 7-14 days, but if it fails for any reason, the process starts again :(
Will there be trailers soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back