Analysis AFL admits it recieves a cut of gambling turnover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Like who didn't know that.

Now why can't they admit when an umpire completely *s up and ruins a game?
Did they thou when the heavy favorite gets up with only a few minutes left?
(There would be **** all money on a GWS game, just making a point- major US sports have had umpire scandals related to sports betting - we aren’t immune to it)

I don't really care about the AFL deriving revenue from gambling but the government should ban advertising at least during live sports events. Kids shouldn't be exposed to the bombardment of sports betting.

The AFL should also keep their noses out of club revenue from pokies. Melbourne made a commitment to get out of pokies a few years ago (with significant AFL coercion) and it's to our detriment. It's millions a year we're now out of pocket which means we remain reliant on AFL funding which can change at a whim. If course we all know the AFL doesn't really care about people losing money on gambling, what they care about is keeping clubs reliant on their dollars so the clubs stay in line and don't rock the boat at AFL house.

If the AFL is so addicted to gambling revenue to stay afloat they must be pretty horrible at managing their finances.

I guess we already knew that though, when the most popular winter code in the country was potentially going to fall over in the space of months if they didn’t put games on.

They’re so heavily reliant on an industry that takes advantage of vulnerable people, and ruins lives.

What a gross organisation the AFL is. What went wrong for it to get to this?

Greed, and Dangerfield is the perfect pin up boy

AFL receives a cut of gambling turnover on matches, McLachlan confirms

The AFL boss, Gillon McLachlan, has confirmed the organisation receives a cut of gambling turnover on its matches beyond official sponsorship deals with wagering companies.

The confirmation comes as fans, players, clubs, politicians and health experts raise serious concerns about the sport’s reliance on gambling revenue and the volume of ads encouraging people to place a bet on AFL matches.

The AFL’s revenue from “product fees” on gambling is rarely spoken about by senior executives and is not commonly known by fans. McLachlan did not state how much money the product fees generate but said it was “a percentage of the volume of turnover on our sport”.

Here’s what McLachlan told a parliamentary inquiry into online gambling harm:

"We have product fee arrangements with all the wagering operators where we get a percentage of their operations on the AFL."

Most online gambling companies are registered in the Northern Territory for tax minimisation and have an annual turnover of nearly $50bn, according to the NT regulator. The AFL’s official wagering partner, Sportsbet, estimates the Australian sports betting market is worth $8.2bn a year.

Last year, the gambling industry veteran Matthew Tripp, who now runs News Corp-affiliated gambling company Betr, told Nine Newspapers the product fees were “the engine beneath the might of the AFL”.

The AFL is not the only sport to receive product fees from the gambling industry, but the revenue they generate has increased significantly in recent years as online wagering has exploded in popularity.

13.37pm on this live blog in The Guardian todayAustralia news live: RBA holds official interest rate at 3.6% to end record streak of monthly hikes
Just like ciggie advertising was cut in the 90s, this funding umbilical cord needs to be severed from the AFL.

AFL lagging behind in community expectations and standards in many areas, this being a really big one.

I don't want to have to explain gambling to my kids just yet (need to teach them the maths first), but it's all over the website and tv. I've also noticed an end frame starting to pop up, "think of what you could have bought instead", that's a good one I think.

Being an occasional gambler I know the thrill of a punt, the last thing the community needs is prompts every day. I still put on a few bets at the beginning of the year for premiership etc when the odds are longer, but the less I think of it the less I bet. I firmly believe the advertising works to increase betting.

If the AFL is so addicted to gambling revenue to stay afloat they must be pretty horrible at managing their finances.

I guess we already knew that though, when the most popular winter code in the country was potentially going to fall over in the space of months if they didn’t put games on.

They’re so heavily reliant on an industry that takes advantage of vulnerable people, and ruins lives.

What a gross organisation the AFL is. What went wrong for it to get to this?
They are akin to the Nazi party, minus the killing bit.
Horrible conflicted dishonest organisation the AFL.
Putrid.

They are only being honest because they are part of a parliamentary enquiry where they are under oath.

I don’t particularly care about them getting a slice of the pie - people are going to gamble so the governing body may as well make sure they get a chunk.

But what I do care about is the hypocrisy. The AFL is so sickeningly woke and socially ‘aware’ and stick their noses into so many political causes it isn’t funny…. But at the end of the day, they are happy to accept money from an industry that destroys families and entire communities.

You cannot have it both ways. You either really genuinely care about humanity and take real action to this end, or you don’t.

So AFL…. take the money and invest in grassroots etc.. but zip your lip on all your other political and woke causes, because at the end of the day you place money above all else and you really don’t GAS.

That's easy. They don't.*

(* - and neither do most people. I find the more people pretend to care an issue the less they actually do.)

(* - and neither do most people. I find the more people pretend to care an issue the less they actually do.)
Yep, these days expressing a particular opinion gives one kudos and integrity. And by expressing an opinion one is exonerated from actually doing anything.

Its pretty easy to be against kids being bombarded with gambling ads. I dont think there are too many positives in them seeing so many ads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First reform I would like to see is the gambling companies prohibited from closing betting accounts of people who gamble well.

It’s a weird type of discrimination that only people who lose money are allowed to bet. It’s bullshit.

Surely dynamic add techonology is available for TV? Ie like social media where customers can choose to hide certain adds. Maybe consumers could pay an extra $5 a month to Kayo for a service ex gambling adds .....

The AFL is a morally bankrupt organisation.

It leads to the next question - how much influence does the gambling industry have over the running of the game and the decision making of the AFL?

Umpiring went absolutely wack when the mass advertising for gambling came about.

I remember Andy D said he was disappointed with Port Beating Collingwood in the semis a while back as Adelaide were also in the finals due to revenue reasons.

If the government had any courage or morals they would ban gambling advertisements. Unfortunately both Labor and the Liberals like the money the gambling industry gives them too much to stop it.
It's pretty hard to argue with this but I would ask why there's a three year timetable on it, this season should be the last hurrah for gambling advertising. We'll hear all the usual bleating from the usual subjects about clubs losing sponsors being unable to find new ones but frankly we've heard it all before and there'd be very few companies willing to turn down the eyeballs on their brand that Australian sport can offer.

You only have look at forum like reddits r/gambling addiction to see how punting ruins lives. Granted most of them are Americans but you could safely ‘bet’ the same thing is going on here in Australia.
I lot of them are sports betting junkies too.
There’s no way in hell the AFL are going to stop raking in the 100 million odd dollars from their golden goose that is gambling “ sponsorship “

It’s here to stay unfortunately 042C0718-BBCC-48A7-9B57-15198C4EE704.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis AFL admits it recieves a cut of gambling turnover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back