AFL allocates Zones to Victorian Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

The academies were introduced to somewhat offset the inherent disadvantages northern clubs face - that is local talent acquisition and talent retention. The four clubs from QLD and NSW have no where near the talent pool available for them to sustain a team, and are subsequently forced to draft players away from their state of origin.

With this, a far greater proportion of our players seek trades out of these clubs to either go back home, or states in AFL-leading markets that allow for much greater sponsorship and off-field financial incentives.

The academies are attempting to grow the game from a grassroots level and give young footballers from these states an avenue to viably pursue their dreams of making it to the national competition.

Melbourne clubs do not need academies; northern frontier clubs do, and to be truthful, much more needs to be done for these teams, especially my club, Brisbane, which is the only team of the four that does not receive any retention allowances or grants from the AFL that the other three clubs enjoy.

Victorian clubs do not face these problems that I have mentioned above, or at least to not the extent QLD and NSW clubs do.

All we want is an even playing field, we cannot have that if required players are easily able to just get up and leave under the banner of 'homesickness'. You only have to look as far players such as O'Meara and McCartney in the last week to highlight the uphill battle these teams face.

The academies were introduced to somewhat offset the inherent disadvantages northern clubs face - that is local talent acquisition and talent retention. The four clubs from QLD and NSW have no where near the talent pool available for them to sustain a team, and are subsequently forced to draft players away from their state of origin.

With this, a far greater proportion of our players seek trades out of these clubs to either go back home, or states in AFL-leading markets that allow for much greater sponsorship and off-field financial incentives.

The academies are attempting to grow the game from a grassroots level and give young footballers from these states an avenue to viably pursue their dreams of making it to the national competition.

Melbourne clubs do not need academies; northern frontier clubs do, and to be truthful, much more needs to be done for these teams, especially my club, Brisbane, which is the only team of the four that does not receive any retention allowances or grants from the AFL that the other three clubs enjoy.

Victorian clubs do not face these problems that I have mentioned above, or at least to not the extent QLD and NSW clubs do.

All we want is an even playing field, we cannot have that if required players are easily able to just get up and leave under the banner of 'homesickness'. You only have to look as far players such as O'Meara and McCartney in the last week to highlight the uphill battle these teams face.

I am at the point now with all the complaining coming from Victorian clubs that we may as well just let them have full acadamies, have the bidding system in place for all zones. The draft would be a mess with a bid almost every single draft pick but in theory it would be fair.

So what's this mean exactly?

Essendon and North have first dibs on Calder Cannon players?

I can't imagine so, we really don't have much info at this stage, but the article says players from indigenous and/or diverse backgrounds. I assume there will be more to follow. Seems like a dogs breakfast at this stage though.

So Carlton only gets one area?

Bizarre given some of the area other clubs have been given. Not a lot of indigenous players getting drafted from the Northern Knights.

Some clubs have huge zones PLUS NT zones. Look at Richmond with Bendigo (which includes Echuca) and Murray, the amount of indigenous and diverse (islander, african) kids living in those areas is huge and untapped.

Hawthorn get two plum areas plus an NT zone. It's strange and seems rushed.

This isn't about propping up Victorian clubs, it's about finding and developing talent for 18 (and probably 20) AFL clubs and more importantly it's about trying to get people of certain cultures in to AFL instead of losing them to soccer and basketball which are much easier games for immigrants to play.

Unfortunately instead of an organic bottom up approach where the AFL gets these kids in to Auskick and local footy it's a top down approach where the AFL offers incentives for the best of the bunch to stick with the game and hopes others will follow their idols.

I don't like it and I'm not sure it will work, even if it does I'm not sure it's worth ruining the integrity of the competition for.

Is the AFL really going to determine whether a kid is multicultural enough to qualify? You couldn't make this shit up.

Non English speaking background?
Skin colour?
Funny surname?
Originating from a country we can't pronounce?
One parent or two?

200_s.gif

Blame your Sydney cousins.

I wonder what the coaching and development staff at the Dandenong Stingrays will do when Melbourne pester them non stop to include five 6'8 Sudanese kids from their academy, none of whom can kick a footy or be in the side on merit in their TAC Cup at the expense of good footballers not from a 'multicultural background'.

What are the calder cannons going to do when Essendon and North are both desperate to see their academy kids given game time and developed as they wish.

You absolute f'ing ripper - Crows will get half of SA allocated to us and that is worth much more than 1/11th of Vic. Crows and Power, WCE and Freo to become undisputed powerhouses of the future.

Vic clubs asked for academies, now we'll all get them and Vic clubs will start to go downhill! McGuire and Newbold should have been more careful in what they wished for!! Suck it up current Vic powerhouses, your days at the top are numbered ;-)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what the coaching and development staff at the Dandenong Stingrays will do when Melbourne pester them non stop to include five 6'8 Sudanese kids from their academy, none of whom can kick a footy or be in the side on merit in their TAC Cup at the expense of good footballers not from a 'multicultural background'.

What are the calder cannons going to do when Essendon and North are both desperate to see their academy kids given game time and developed as they wish.

Agreed. Either give AFL clubs access to every player in their zone no matter their race, or don't do this at all.

Indigenous academies in the Northern Territory is divided between Essendon, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn and Melbourne.

Well thats fair, at least we get to share the Western Jets with North

Maybe the other Victorian clubs will get an area of South Australia, WA or Tasmania as well. Evans said that they were allocated partly based on historical ties, so maybe St Kilda get part of Tassie due to their historical connection there? Otherwise it seems pretty unfair for those Victorian clubs who missed out on the Northern Territory.

You absolute f'ing ripper - Crows will get half of SA allocated to us and that is worth much more than 1/11th of Vic. Crows and Power, WCE and Freo to become undisputed powerhouses of the future.

Vic clubs asked for academies, now we'll all get them and Vic clubs will start to go downhill! McGuire and Newbold should have been more careful in what they wished for!! Suck it up current Vic powerhouses, your days at the top are numbered ;-)

WA have been rather shit for a few years now in the U18's. The AFL may want to give the Eagles and Dockers more incentive to get more involved and also get more out of WA, as we know it can produce a lot more than it currently is.

This basically means my old school will now be known as St Patrick's Bulldogs College. They've been known to give huge scholarships to aspiring footy players, Jake Neade being the most prominent of late. Now if the Dogs want an edge they'll pump money into the Ballarat boarding schools to attract the best young talent from around Country Victoria and the NT to poach players from other clubs zones.

This basically means my old school will now be known as St Patrick's Bulldogs College. They've been known to give huge scholarships to aspiring footy players, Jake Neade being the most prominent of late. Now if the Dogs want an edge they'll pump money into the Ballarat boarding schools to attract the best young talent from around Country Victoria and the NT to poach players from other clubs zones.

I think there would be rules to prevent that sort of thing.

Maybe the other Victorian clubs will get an area of South Australia, WA or Tasmania as well. Evans said that they were allocated partly based on historical ties, so maybe St Kilda get part of Tassie due to their historical connection there? Otherwise it seems pretty unfair for those Victorian clubs who missed out on the Northern Territory.
No way can I see this happening.

It's just academy zones - it doesn't mean those teams have exclusive rights to any player from those areas. They still have to a) set up an academy and b) convince the players from that zone to come to their academy instead of nominating to stay with their respective clubs and go the more traditional route.

It's also to compensate for the fact that as of next draft, Port Adelaide can bid for the indigenous players that are attached to our aboriginal academy at the draft. From the PAFC Yearbook:

"We will develop indigenous and multicultural football academies for children aged between 11 and 15 years in 2016. These will be additional to the highly successful Aboriginal AFL Academy, which will continue next year. Any players who attend our indigenous and multicultural academies, and go on to be drafted, will be given priority access to join Port Adelaide if selected. This gives great incentive to the club to invest in the development of these young players and is seen as a positive initiative by the AFL."

Once you get an academy set up, you get to see your club do such things as this:

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2015-07-10/ptv-afl-aboriginal-academy-alice-springs-trip

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2015-08-26/ptv-a-captains-journey-aboriginal-afl-academy

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2015-11-30/ptv-aboriginal-academy-take-on-hong-kong

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2015-11-30/ptv-aboriginal-academy-final-game

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/vi...d-of-season-interviews-aboriginal-afl-academy

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL allocates Zones to Victorian Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back