AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints beat Souths quite easily in the pre season GF today. Saints were a little too classy around the ground and up forward had a major target in Walsh to kick to. Souths will win their fair share of games this year with their ruckman looking a fair player and could do very well this year.

Saints beat Souths quite easily in the pre season GF today. Saints were a little too classy around the ground and up forward had a major target in Walsh to kick to. Souths will win their fair share of games this year with their ruckman looking a fair player and could do very well this year.

Nice way of saying the lads from Fretwell will be crud......again:eek:

Nice way of saying the lads from Fretwell will be crud......again:eek:

At no point did i say that. i said they would win their fair share and fight to make the 4. i think Saints are looking pretty good with Norths hot on their heels. Saying that Hawks almost beat them yesterday so i think 6 of the 7 teams will be in the hunt to play finals with only Cities really no hope.

With all due respect to the cutters, they were a long way off Saints and will be a bottom three side again, even if they have improved a touch.
Saints look very strong, a lot of good players that will create competition for senior places. Some good players will be playing twos.

With all due respect to the cutters, they were a long way off Saints and will be a bottom three side again, even if they have improved a touch.
Saints look very strong, a lot of good players that will create competition for senior places. Some good players will be playing twos.[/qu

How do you arrive with this decision :confused:

Did you watch the match fully or were you on Gazalys forecourt away from the action at the other end.:rolleyes:

Did you witness Walsh in the final qtr blowing up at Kenno & Max when he came off 5 mins in the last 1/4 about the way our club & coach had him tagged late in the game & unable to get free (Reminded me when Flea Bag -- Mick Douglas did a number on him a few years ago, he wasn't a happy camper then) he wanted, but didn't receive the extra protection he desired, he threw his hands up in the air in frustration at their response ( I was standing behind their bench watching this unfold) yes he did play well will not take that from him, also the men in orange still regard him as a protected species

As well Souths played a lot of u/18s & reserve grade players, The leads were there, Bill E still craved them up, our new Ruck man Gascoyne showed he will be a force, some strong good football by players had great moments so I for one was happy with the clubs performance & I am aware there are quite many more that share my happiness with the side this early in the season.

September comes in September----- NOT March :eek:

Saints look very strong, a lot of good players that will create competition for senior places. Some good players will be playing twos.[/qu

Did you watch the match fully or were you on Gazalys forecourt away from the action at the other end.:rolleyes:

Did you witness Walsh in the final qtr blowing up at Kenno & Max when he came off 5 mins in the last 1/4 about the way our club & coach had him tagged late in the game & unable to get free (Reminded me when Flea Bag -- Mick Douglas did a number on him a few years ago, he wasn't a happy camper then) he wanted, but didn't receive the extra protection he desired, he threw his hands up in the air in frustration at their response ( I was standing behind their bench watching this unfold) yes he did play well will not take that from him, also the men in orange still regard him as a protected species

As well Souths played a lot of u/18s & reserve grade players, The leads were there, Bill E still craved them up, our new Ruck man Gascoyne showed he will be a force, some strong good football by players had great moments so I for one was happy with the clubs performance & I am aware there are quite many more that share my happiness with the side this early in the season.

Pushing a bloke in the back has been against the rules for 150yrs Tamba. Gascoyne does look good but has his clearance been approved yet.Last time i checked it had been denied twice, hope Souths can sort that out this week.

I never said anything about Walsh. I've explained why I think they are well in front of cutters. I thought you or another cutters supporter said that cutters have competition for senior spots? Yet you say under 18's and reserves were playing? If you feel I was wrong saying you won't finish bottom 3, tell me who it is you will kick out of the top 4 to take their spot? Norths, Saints, Port or Hawks? You only need to name one.

How misinformed you are tamba. I was on the bench when Walsh was dragged and he wasn't frustrated with being tagged (he beat every opponent he played on), he was upset with the Kennedy's remark about not coming off straight away when told to by the runner. The ball was in the centre about to be bounced when instructed to come off, and he told the runner he would after the centre bounce. And he was right, the ball came directly down to Saints forward line from the bounce. As soon as it was cleared away he came off. And when Kennedy remarked about why he didn't come off straight away, Walsh explained he was waiting for the right moment.....that's all it was. No use starting things Tamba when you don't have the right details ;)

Good to see Walshy passionate about it at least, whatever it was. Probably realising he might have to fight to keep his spot as no.1 forward this year.

Saints know the importance of September better than anyone, no way they are ahead of themselves, still many unavailable over the last couple of weeks, it will be until well into the season until the team sorts itself out and starts playing with cohesion.

Plenty of work to go for all sides. I think Hawks and Saints will be the top 2 again, with Norths the unknown quantity probably the biggest danger to either of those two.

Toss up out of Hawks, Norths and Port for the 2nd spot. Hawks are the unknowns, at the moment they look to have lost a lot of ground from last year. But, on the other hand their ability to lure players to the club must be taken into account until June. The NT connections have not arrived yet either. Like last years GF, any team can win on their day!

Saints were impressive again, thought without Coatsworth their would be a fair hole in the midfield. To be honest I reckon they look better this year.

Never be able to replace Coatesworth, but adding some depth and rotating guys through the midfield spot that he used to play should mean we're still as competitive through the midfield. There's probably 5 or 6 new midfielders vying for those spots, selection headaches for the new co-coaches this week and for a big game! With a wet week of training, that won't make it any easier.

I hope the Hawks 2s aren't planning a premiership hangover, there will be some pretty handy footballers in the reserves game for Saints on the weekend.

Slow work week thanks to the rain, so I'm going to do a round preview while rained out.

Two big games this week.

First, the GF replay, no matter where you are or what league, it's a big game. Haven't heard much about Hawks, much the same as last year, but they're the reigning premiers. Saints have a lot of new guys who haven't played a lot together. It's at Hawks home, if they've got a relatively similar side to last year, they should be good to go. Interesting to see if there are any last minute NT imports. Tipping it will be only a goal or two in it, could go either way, but of course I'm going to pick the Saints.

The other big game is Norths v Port. If Norths want to be challenging they want to win this game and with all the pre-season talk, they're expected to. Port have lost a lot of top-line players, they've gained a few but not of the calibre of Norths who have added to an already promising lineup. I'm tipping Norths at home by 4-6 goals.

Souths v Cities, Souths would want to get a good win under their belt to start the season off on a high. It won't be all one-way traffic, I'm tipping a high scoring affair. Souths to get the chocoloates, but if it's a shoot-out the margin could be anything from 1 point to 12 goals.

Should be a good start to the season, some pretty interesting games, but can't read too much into round 1 with so many new players at a lot of clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow work week thanks to the rain, so I'm going to do a round preview while rained out.

Two big games this week.

First, the GF replay, no matter where you are or what league, it's a big game. Haven't heard much about Hawks, much the same as last year, but they're the reigning premiers. Saints have a lot of new guys who haven't played a lot together. It's at Hawks home, if they've got a relatively similar side to last year, they should be good to go. Interesting to see if there are any last minute NT imports. Tipping it will be only a goal or two in it, could go either way, but of course I'm going to pick the Saints.

The other big game is Norths v Port. If Norths want to be challenging they want to win this game and with all the pre-season talk, they're expected to. Port have lost a lot of top-line players, they've gained a few but not of the calibre of Norths who have added to an already promising lineup. I'm tipping Norths at home by 4-6 goals.

Souths v Cities, Souths would want to get a good win under their belt to start the season off on a high. It won't be all one-way traffic, I'm tipping a high scoring affair. Souths to get the chocoloates, but if it's a shoot-out the margin could be anything from 1 point to 12 goals.

Should be a good start to the season, some pretty interesting games, but can't read too much into round 1 with so many new players at a lot of clubs.

With Hawks pre season being not ideal you would expect Saints to win quite easily. Saints do have alot of new players and might take some time to gel but thats the only chance Hawks have i think.
Norths have been the talk of pre season and will need a win against Port to justify all the hype. Even though they only beat Hawks by a kick last week they dominated early and dropped back a gear late.
Souths will be hoping for a big win against Cities. Souths are saying they have improved and only a big win will make the doubters agree. I think they should win easily but watch for the Cities CHF, he will be in the Cities best every game he plays i reckon.

Saints by 7/8gls easily
Tigers by 3/4gls hard fought
Fretwell by 5/6gls cruising
Lads.. the 3 clubs that are not supported on this forum...cities, centrals and Port Douglas.... are they any ridiculous chance of being competitive this season... all the talk on the forum is for Saints, as per usual, Nth Cairns,, results will soon tell the truth.. Hawkes who are a unknown at this stage.. and South Cairns, well.. there list will be found out in the up coming rounds..

Of course they're a chance, but since they're not represented here, it's hard to gauge without any information. I think it's safe to say that Cities are a bit too far back to make finals, but i'm sure they can be competitive (at least more than last year).

Centrals have a good core of players, particularly in the midfield, which means they'll be at least competitive every game, top or bottom.

Port have had a massive turnover of top-line players, but they always pick up so have to wait and see after about round 3 how many new recruits they've got and if they're any good.

Port will be the suprise packet this year as they have recruited well out of Vic in the last few months and are always hard to beat at home no matter who they have playing.... Hawks the sliders as they are struggling to put two teams on the park and their depth is obviously lacking.... Plugger/Tommy might get a run this year

My ladder prediction -
Saints
Norths
Port
Souths
Hawks
Centrals
Cities

League Goal Kicking - Walsh Saints

League Medal - Tennick Nth Cairns

Did anyone else notice Gritths running the bench Saturday for the hawks?? I thought he had gone back home?? .....

Port will be the suprise packet this year as they have recruited well out of Vic in the last few months and are always hard to beat at home no matter who they have playing.... Hawks the sliders as they are struggling to put two teams on the park and their depth is obviously lacking.... Plugger/Tommy might get a run this year

My ladder prediction -
Saints
Norths
Port
Souths
Hawks
Centrals
Cities

League Goal Kicking - Walsh Saints

League Medal - Tennick Nth Cairns

Did anyone else notice Gritths running the bench Saturday for the hawks?? I thought he had gone back home?? .....

Were you hitting the turps hard on the weekend old mate?

Port have recruited well, very well. But it is hard to say good things when they are trying to replace a back to back league medalist and arguably the best player in the league (in my eyes) Evan Hocking. From the clearances, the players Port have recruited are not just good footballers, but good blokes. They should make the finals, and if the Shaw brothers play (are they?)... well.

I agree Saint, Cities have improved but I am unsure it will be enough to challenge for the finals but they will go a long way to shaping it. All other teams have claims to play in September, which will make EVERY game this year important, percentage and snearing that extra win will make the difference to making the 4. Impossible to pick a ladder but I think that Saints and Norths are 2 (according to the clearances and rumours) that will make it.

Get people's thoughts.

Premiers: Saints
Wooden Spooners: Lions
League Medal: Dickson
Biggest Improver from 2011: Souths
Biggest Slider from 2011: Hawks
Goal Kicker: Walsh
Most expensive team: Souths / Or Norths (my club)
Most under-rated player: Tennick
Most over-rated player: Gribble (only from what I have seen so far)
Most loyal player in the league: Jorgo
Toughest bloke in the league: Boosen
Biggest Sook in the league: Hawks supporters
Best Young talent: Wardle has gone, tough one at the moment.
Best Coach: Roe... Resume only.

Not having a go at Gribble, he has come with big wraps so he needs to deliver.

Excluding anybody new to the league for the individual categories.

Premiers: Saints
Wooden Spooners: Lions
League Medal:
Biggest Improver from 2011: Norths
Biggest Slider from 2011: Port
Goal Kicker: Walsh
Most expensive team: Norths
Most under-rated player: Bubbles (Souths)
Most over-rated player: Hard to know who others rate, Miller?
Most loyal player in the league: Walsh
Toughest bloke in the league: Liriges
Biggest Sook in the league: People (fans mostly) who have a go at the umpires
Best Young talent: New every year, ask me at the end of.
Best Coach: All new, so no idea.

Pretty sad that about 3 teams are going to struggle for a reserve's team. What's worse is one of these was last years senior premiers. Must be a great club!!! Struggle to get two sides and also can't hold onto the young blokes....

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back