AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiss of death for this week -

Lions V Centrals - One would think that the Lions should win this one with Brennan coming back up for a cameo.

Crocs V Saints - Saints have struggled once or twice when they have visited the Croc Pit. However, I still think Saints will get up and Walshy to kick 5.

Cutters V Hawks - The young Hawks are going for 3 in a row and I think the Cutters will fancy themselves in front of a home crowd. I'm going to go out on a limb and pick the Hawks in a tight one.

Yes, very interesting re 4th spot.

After round 12 - Tiges 22, Lions 20, Doggies 18, Hawks 18.

The Lions v Hawks clash next week will demonstrate how far each side has improved (or not) since they last met - I can't envisage it being a very easy match for the Lions Ktbl but time will tell.

In the final 9 rounds, Tigers play a fellow bottom 4 side 3 times, Lions 5 times, Doggies 4 times & Hawks 4 times. Tigers have 2 more byes whilst the 3 others have 1 each.

"Sam Boxsell looking for a clearance to Hawks. Bit of mid season shopping for Hawks"

Mmnnnn Hawks shoring up a position in the run to the finals ????

Nice pick up !

Lions V Centrals ---- Lions at home with unrest at the dog kennels, players requesting clearances

Crocs v Saints --- the pit will bring them home , Saints will make this very tough though

Cutters v. Hawks---The young Hawks will give a great account of themselves, but in front of a vocal Cutters crowd on the balcony sorry but not a look in

The Kris Seivers Memorial Match in the Reserve Grade of Souths v Manunda , 11 years now that Kris passed away during this match ----- RIP Kris

Also pass Committee Member and Sponsor Glen Fuchs passed away during the week, ----RIP Glen

Both will be sorely missed at South Cairns

100% tipped

BUT

I did not expect the score blow outs,
must have been blowing a Cat 1 cyclone in Port
at one stage, they were 5--12 !!!

Went up to Port expecting a good game and got it for 3 quarters. Poor kicking by Port in the first 3 quarters kicking 5.18 meant saints were in the game with their score 5.4 at 3/4 time. Don't know what was said in either huddle at that change but it was like saints put the handbrake on and port picked up a couple of gears, kicking 12 or 13 goals to 1 in the last, sunny, no wind, perfect conditions for football. Number 16, 4 and 29 were my best for saints and 13, 14 and 30 best for port

Went up to Port expecting a good game and got it for 3 quarters. Poor kicking by Port in the first 3 quarters kicking 5.18 meant saints were in the game with their score 5.4 at 3/4 time. Don't know what was said in either huddle at that change but it was like saints put the handbrake on and port picked up a couple of gears, kicking 12 or 13 goals to 1 in the last, sunny, no wind, perfect conditions for football. Number 16, 4 and 29 were my best for saints and 13, 14 and 30 best for port

Spot on with your best players Numerouno. Garth #13 and Clough #30 were both great all game. Port's new bloke Sercombe moves well. If he had of kicked straight could have kicked 10 or more.
Port's full ground press worked well similar to Tigers last year however it working on the big Cazalys ground in September could be a different story.

See Boxell played for Hawks... Why a club would recruit a person on charges for indecently touching a 7 yr old girl in a supermarket is beyond me. Absolute disgrace by the Hawks bringing him back into the league.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...893893691?nk=702f6a48df8c734cc553e792d244a089

Last edited:
Dr, all the Hawks have done is simply given the kid a chance to play the game he loves. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty & if that is the case then justice will be served but all the Hawks are doing is offering him an opportunity to play footy.

Does every club know what every one of their players has done or is currently under suspicion of ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks would have to be the dirtiest team of grubs playing this year so it doesn't surprise me how they have recruited!! Was good to see there wings get well and truly clipped to remind them where they rightfully deserve to be in the competition cellar dwellers!!

Bilby, the "charismatic character" from the southside, you are joking surely. Cutters leading goal kicker is the dirtiest grub in the league closely followed by the captain, the latter who should be spending some time on the sidelines after inflicting an off the ball elbow to the head Saturday. 1/2 the Hawks side played Colts Friday night (and several played a rep game today). Souths only blew it out in the last quarter - 2 goals down at 1/2 time & 4 at 3/4. Hawks are improving. I don't think Souths are. With the $ you guys are paying in player payments (how much >$5K/week is it?) & playing 1/2 a side of Colts players, imo you guys should be embarrassed by the scoreline. Put 1/2 your Colts side on the field & see how you guys would go this season. With you guys owing a massive amount to the league (is it >$100K?), if the league is half serious then most of you guys won't be here next season chasing the $ elsewhere. Most of the Hawks will be here next season & will be improved by their experiences from this season. Trying to buy a flag & who cares about development. Well done again Bilby.

Dr, all the Hawks have done is simply given the kid a chance to play the game he loves. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty & if that is the case then justice will be served but all the Hawks are doing is offering him an opportunity to play footy.

Does every club know what every one of their players has done or is currently under suspicion of ??
I cant agree with this, as a junior players parent, I would be horrified if this person was at our club. We also haven't heard the last of it either, there is a very ugly black cloud hovering over that young man. I am mighty glad we didn't take him on & if my kids were playing at Hawks I would be very concerned by the clubs decision. Ive always rated him as a footballer but in this case for Hawks, I think playing him is a serious mis-judgement & a stain on your good, proud football club.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Have the charges been proven? If something is going on, then time will tell and justice will be served. As for Hawks being thugs, seriously?? How can you seriously call a bunch of U18's thugs. What happened to the older players, are they now made of sugar? There were at least two Souths players Yellow Carded on Saturday and one Hawks colt's player had his shoulder broken.

On another note, wtf happened in Port? I know Walshy was away but geez, what a turn around.

"Sam Boxsell looking for a clearance to Hawks. Bit of mid season shopping for Hawks"

Mmnnnn Hawks shoring up a position in the run to the finals ????

Nice pick up !

Lions V Centrals ---- Lions at home with unrest at the dog kennels, players requesting clearances

Crocs v Saints --- the pit will bring them home , Saints will make this very tough though

Cutters v. Hawks---The young Hawks will give a great account of themselves, but in front of a vocal Cutters crowd on the balcony sorry but not a look in

The Kris Seivers Memorial Match in the Reserve Grade of Souths v Manunda , 11 years now that Kris passed away during this match ----- RIP Kris

Also pass Committee Member and Sponsor Glen Fuchs passed away during the week, ----RIP Glen

Both will be sorely missed at South Cairns

Went to Fuchsy's funeral, it was a good turn out. People were standing up in the aisles.

Port were ultra impressive the best I have seen all season in both grades. If they kicked straight it could have been a 150pt win. Giving them flag favourites right now and thats a big call considering thry are 3rd

CCL, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The club did its own inquiries & held discussions with all relevant parties prior to bringing him on board & the unanimous decision was to give the guy a go. The club has not been stained in any way & will not be as all they are doing is giving him a chance to play football.

Let's just let the lad play, let justice be served & keep the talk about football.

Hey Guys. Query from the Goldfields Footy League in WA.

What were the circumstances behind a couple of blokes in your league coming out this way? Fallout with clubs over there or just chasing more coin??

Talking about Luke Powell and Chris Adams.

Powell went to Kambalda and looks like he's already rubbing the coach (who also happens to be the top cop in town) up the wrong way. Has been dropped couple of times apparently for being stupid on the sauce!!

And then there's the perennial club s!ut in Chris Adams who's rocked up at the 11th hour at Railways. In a five team comp, this is the third club this guy has been to in our league after stints at Boulder and Kambalda previously. Has a huge reputation over here for the wrong reasons and we're surprised a professional outfit like Railways is even interested!!

Not privy to the circumstances though some background on L. Powell may be gleaned from comments 243, 257, 306-315 & 485-490 and Chris Adams 317, 318, 528, 546-554.

Hey Guys. Query from the Goldfields Footy League in WA.

What were the circumstances behind a couple of blokes in your league coming out this way? Fallout with clubs over there or just chasing more coin??

Talking about Luke Powell and Chris Adams.

Powell went to Kambalda and looks like he's already rubbing the coach (who also happens to be the top cop in town) up the wrong way. Has been dropped couple of times apparently for being stupid on the sauce!!

And then there's the perennial club s!ut in Chris Adams who's rocked up at the 11th hour at Railways. In a five team comp, this is the third club this guy has been to in our league after stints at Boulder and Kambalda previously. Has a huge reputation over here for the wrong reasons and we're surprised a professional outfit like Railways is even interested!!

Good luck with both of them.

CCL, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The club did its own inquiries & held discussions with all relevant parties prior to bringing him on board & the unanimous decision was to give the guy a go. The club has not been stained in any way & will not be as all they are doing is giving him a chance to play football.

Let's just let the lad play, let justice be served & keep the talk about football.
You tell yourself that, but (in my opinion) its just wrong. You bang on about all the "kids" playing up in A grade & how well they are going under an excellent coach, and that's great, well done. Then you place this person amongst these young men & justify it by saying "just giving him the opportunity to play footy, let the other stuff go"..? We are not talking about outstanding parking tickets here, its serious child offences. We, like yourselves, are a family football club with plenty of kids running around the club on match day. In my opinion, its on the nose....

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back