AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched lions play, a long way short of all the hype over the summer

Souths took a while to build up momentum, then took the game away and shut down the Lions, thought it might be closer what with the hype.

It is only the start of the season and we all know there are no Finals in March.

With the Norths ladz kicking on this will make the ANZAC Day match derby interesting, just see how both club progress over the next two rounds before they meet.

Beaten by a very committed, fit & fast Cutters outfit who thrashed us through the middle of the ground. They were very impressive. But, lets not get too carried away, round 1, we were missing a few & when we actually did get it forward, Hughes was very good with 6 goals. If Souths play like that week in week out they will be very hard to beat, their running, discipline & numbers to the contest were relentless. Well played.

Beaten by a very committed, fit & fast Cutters outfit who thrashed us through the middle of the ground. They were very impressive. But, lets not get too carried away, round 1, we were missing a few & when we actually did get it forward, Hughes was very good with 6 goals. If Souths play like that week in week out they will be very hard to beat, their running, discipline & numbers to the contest were relentless. Well played.
South were not challenged so to rate them is premature. I wasn't that impressed with either team to be honest

Great to see the young tiger stars on display on Friday Night and what a cracker it was. Was Very impressed with Koch's Courage at the footy and display of skill, Along with teammate Rhys Bridge being a solid force down in defense. Both boys are still only 17 and there looks to be very big things ahead for the pair. Woosup popped up in patches and showed what he could do with some freakish goals. Adam Mueller was also a standout leading the tigers to one of the great wins considering going into the game the teams on paper looked as if saints would win by 20 goals. Future looks bright down at tigerland.

Pretty frustrating seeing the amount of mistakes the cairns post can manage on one page of reporting. Suppose its like this every week though.

I agree cnsafl, the tigers back 6 looked to be quite young with the exception of mills. Much younger bodies managed to quell the influence of braybon, dixon, walsh and the like. Cracking game, easily the best of the round, no other games could match the intensity at all. Great to see young tigers stepping up and not taking a backward step.

All the hype about Cairns City lions seems to have gone by the wayside. Michael Paul extremely talented though, great pickup by the club, can play anywhere and is very fit. Also Cam Adam from Redland seemed to have a lot of the football. Lions seemed to be very timid and soft, bar the likes of braico, paul, gross and adam

Cutters have some very good ball movers and will give the competition a fair shake up if they can maintain their form.

Centrals looked dangerous in patches however lacked legspeed but still managed to rip apart a hapless Hawks outfit. Brian Durbridge is a ball magnet, can seriously play.

Hawks looked dangerous at times with their young brigade of corey and ryan flint getting a fair bit of it. Also big man Cameron Duffy took some big grabs but went missing in the last half when the game was there to be won, still probably their best on the ground though. However 4-6 players wont win a game of football.

Great to see the young tiger stars on display on Friday Night and what a cracker it was. Was Very impressed with Koch's Courage at the footy and display of skill, Along with teammate Rhys Bridge being a solid force down in defense. Both boys are still only 17 and there looks to be very big things ahead for the pair. Woosup popped up in patches and showed what he could do with some freakish goals. Adam Mueller was also a standout leading the tigers to one of the great wins considering going into the game the teams on paper looked as if saints would win by 20 goals. Future looks bright down at tigerland.

Are you an official from the AFL Cairns?

If so send a pm to Chief and apply for an Officials badge.

Pleas post here as often as you can and inform us about things happening around the league, also when do the Dogs v Suns game tickets go on sale?

Well, I watched all 3 games on the weekend & thought the standout team was Cutters, not just because they beat us. Their numbers at the contest & relentless running, pressure & fitness were outstanding. The big unit up front presented well & he has an early contender for mark of year with his one hander in the last quarter. Sure, Friday nights game was intense but it was also slower paced & scrappy at times. I agree with Steve88 on Centrals. It will be very interesting over the next few weeks & I think Souths will surprise plenty of sides this season. My opinion.

Well, I watched all 3 games on the weekend & thought the standout team was Cutters, not just because they beat us. Their numbers at the contest & relentless running, pressure & fitness were outstanding. The big unit up front presented well & he has an early contender for mark of year with his one hander in the last quarter. Sure, Friday nights game was intense but it was also slower paced & scrappy at times. I agree with Steve88 on Centrals. It will be very interesting over the next few weeks & I think Souths will surprise plenty of sides this season. My opinion.

Yes cutters pressure and numbers to the ball was impressive. I know its your opinion but how could the standout team not be a team made up primarily of kids knocking off the premiers

Yes cutters pressure and numbers to the ball was impressive. I know its your opinion but how could the standout team not be a team made up primarily of kids knocking off the premiers
True. I was impressed & happy for Norths. Merely my opinion on the standard of the footy played. Looking forward to Norths this weekend, hope they have a "beating premiers against all odds" hangover :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two big names on the clearances from saints to other leagues, Hallas and Kelly, is there a story there saints people or one for April fools day?

Fantastic win by the kids last night! After seeing the teams named in the paper, went to the ground fearing the worst but the guts these young fellas showed was amazing. Spent the entire 2nd half waiting for the Saints to run over the top of us but they just couldn't get in front, just a pity there wasn't more of a crowd to see a great battle.
One thing it showed is the comp will be a lot more even this season, will be very interested too see Sundays result....

Nice to see you back Watsons.... thought you died off after last years GF defeat! Kids are the future but hows the bank balance going these days ;)

round 2...

Saints by 120
Norths by 30. hoping lions are a lot more competitive this week
Souths by 30. anyones guess if port will be as good as last year.

round 2...

Saints by 120
Norths by 30. hoping lions are a lot more competitive this week
Souths by 30. anyones guess if port will be as good as last year.

Hellairearse.

Saints by 40 over the Hawks.
Tigers by 35 over the Lions
Port by 12. Souths my travel badly.

Saints. By not as many as we may think.
Lions. To bounce back in a tight one with a few quality ins.
Souths. They will prove they are a really good side.

Saints. By not as many as we may think.
Lions. To bounce back in a tight one with a few quality ins.
Souths. They will prove they are a really good side.

Saints , last week they were beaten by a better team this week they will be out to prove it was a lapse of mentality
Lions very close call , worth the price of admission alone, see if the tigers can pull out another one or the lions will maul them ( well chew anyway)
Souths , they travel very badly to Douglas as some just dont turn up, but Cutters will win in a spiteful match. The bar will be full of Vocal Croc Identities.

(I've got 3 dog shows on this weekend, 2 Saturday, 1 Sunday, so time to throw on the bag of fruit again)

Nice to see you back Watsons.... thought you died off after last years GF defeat! Kids are the future but hows the bank balance going these days ;)
Died off?? No, just needed some recovery time after a disappointing grand final. Not sure how the bank balance is looking but judging by the lack of recruits I would guess not good. But I tell you Friday nights win has done wonders for the group. We have a great core of kids who have played 16/18s together for the last few years and for them to get a win against the reigning premiers has given them the belief that they can now match it with the big boys. As with all youngsters, they may lack consistency and a bit of composure but that will come. Beware the Tiger Cubs have arrived! A few experienced ins this week can only help too.

Died off?? No, just needed some recovery time after a disappointing grand final. Not sure how the bank balance is looking but judging by the lack of recruits I would guess not good. But I tell you Friday nights win has done wonders for the group. We have a great core of kids who have played 16/18s together for the last few years and for them to get a win against the reigning premiers has given them the belief that they can now match it with the big boys. As with all youngsters, they may lack consistency and a bit of composure but that will come. Beware the Tiger Cubs have arrived! A few experienced ins this week can only help too.

Well said!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back