blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Shane Edwards is the most underrated player in the league, a genuine inside outside midfielder that gets clearances and contested possessions and kicks goals and sets up goals.

I thought it would be interesting to compare him with the media's darling Cyril Rioli

Who would you prefer in your team and why

Strange comparison. For inside outside mids there are plenty better than Shane Edwards, what Rioli provides not too many players in the comp can so I'll go with him.

Shane Edwards is the most underrated player in the league, a genuine inside outside midfielder that gets clearances and contested possessions and kicks goals and sets up goals.

I thought it would be interesting to compare him with the media's darling Cyril Rioli

Who would you prefer in your team and why

[Insert name of your team's indigenous forward here] is better than Cyril Rioli.

They all keep getting compared to Cyril

Year after year…

Is it because of his black skin?

Or is it because you all wish you had him in your team?

Strange comparison. For inside outside mids there are plenty better than Shane Edwards, what Rioli provides not too many players in the comp can so I'll go with him.

What exactly does Rioli provide more than Shane, other than an extra 10 goals a year?

Contested possessions per games Cyril 7.4 Edwards 12.4
Uncontested Possession's per game Cyril 8.6 Edwards 9.3
Clearances Cyril 1.7 Edwards 4.7
TAckles Cyril 3.9 Edwards 4.6
Goal Assists Cyril 1.4 Edwards 0.9
Goals Cyril 1.3 Edwards 0.9

What exactly does Rioli provide more than Shane, other than an extra 10 goals a year?

Contested possessions per games Cyril 7.4 Edwards 12.4
Uncontested Possession's per game Cyril 8.6 Edwards 9.3
Clearances Cyril 1.7 Edwards 4.7
TAckles Cyril 3.9 Edwards 4.6
Goal Assists Cyril 1.4 Edwards 0.9
Goals Cyril 1.3 Edwards 0.9
They play different roles mate, if you want inside outside mids Edwards is not on the top of that list.

Why because Cyril is that overrated that it isn't funny?
Cyril doesn't need stats, watch the game he is immense whenever he's near the footy.
Edwards has become our smartest ball user forward of the wing no doubt and his hands are something else but he doesn't strike fear into the opposition like Cyril does when he's near the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goal Assists:
13 Cyril Rioli (2nd best in the AFL)
6 Shane Edwards (52nd best in the AFL)

Score involvements:
68 Cyril Rioli (12th best in the AFL)
47 Shane Edwards (92nd best in the AFL)

Tackles inside fifty:
15 Cyril Rioli (8th best in the AFL)
8 Shane Edwards (54th best in the AFL)

Goals plus Assists:
25 Cyril Rioli (15th best in the AFL)
12 Shane Edwards (82nd best in the AFL)

Setting yourself up for some harsh backlash mate, Edwards has been our best this year but you're gonna cop it for comparing him to Cyril.

Even IF he is playingh better footy (which he is IMO) its a no win battle really.

Don't do this to me tiger fans. Look, Edwards is a good player, and his handballing is great. He's become as important to Richmond's midfield as Cotchin, Deledio, Miles, Martin and Ellis are. He's not the dud that people used to think he was.

But Rioli is a more skilled player with more output. If Rioli stayed fit every season people wouldn't bag him so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back