AFL.com.au is a disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

If you guys want to watch a replay of a game perfectly, I'd recommend BigPond sport. Perfect website with very high quality.
Cheers, just checked it then and the Coll/Roos game is working perfectly... with the added bonus you can actually maximise it to proper fullscreen.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Tried to watch the Pies/Roos last night:

1st qtr - video cut out at the 6 minute mark every time
2nd qtr - no probs
3rd qtr - 'video is not currently available'
4th qtr - cut out at the 3 minute mark every time

I should have known anything Telstra was responsible for would be a buggy piece of crap.

That is such a joke. AFL has no issue making money but can't even update their own website with up to date information? Embarrassing really.

Whenever Telstra is the coordinator of the website it is trash. The old one was bad. The current one is bad and the NRL is just as bad

joke of a web-site.

it's interesting that the web-site circa 10 years ago was better than the one they are currently running

Don't know if anyone else watched that Elegant Gentleman's Guide to Knife Fighting show on the ABC last night but I think the AFL must have hired the Amish IT guy to run their website.

So after waiting AGES for the CATS v HAWKS replay to be put up, I thought I'd click on 'Contact Us' and ask a simple question:

How long after a game is finished is the replay put up on afl.com.au?

Their response, over a day later:

Dear kickazz,

Thank you for your email dated 02/04/2013 regarding your issue.

I would like to extend my apologies for any inconvenience that this issue had caused you. To further assist you, please respond to this email with the details of what is happening. Please include details if applicable such as:

* The question that you are referring to.
* A general description of the issue and what happens.

The above information will help us to narrow down the issue and to give accurate solution. We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding this matter.

Thank you for choosing BigPond

Kind Regards,
Generic copy/paste response much? Seems what you type in the question box does not matter at all. Maybe I should test this out by asking them how long I should cook a 1kg lamb roast for and see if I get the same response!

I like the bit about thanking me for choosing BigPond. It should say 'Thank you for putting up with Big Pond'.

The real problem is that any complaint/query does not go to the AFL but is cut off at the pass by Telstra.

Generic copy/paste response much? Seems what you type in the question box does not matter at all. Maybe I should test this out by asking them how long I should cook a 1kg lamb roast for and see if I get the same response!

I like the bit about thanking me for choosing BigPond. It should say 'Thank you for putting up with Big Pond'.

The real problem is that any complaint/query does not go to the AFL but is cut off at the pass by Telstra.

Congratulations...you at least got a reply. I put in a complaint during the NAB Cup about ALL the replays showing the same game. No response at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

andrew.jpg

AFL.com.au is payback against the interwebz because Demetriou threatened Google to remove this picture from Google Images, but they ignored him and he still holds a grudge.

GWS and Sydney Swans websites are working, no problem!

when do the teams come out and where on the site are they showing? seen a few teams out on my facebook feed but cant see a thing ont he AFL website...

edit: found where teams are showing but its round 1 teams. im a confused as to why soem teams have been published elsewhere and not on afl.com.au should i just assume this is a result of their incompetance?

Actually nba.com looks eerily similar in layout to afl.com, I bet it runs smoother though. To think with a better broadcasting deal, the standard of web access and broadcast quality have not improved at all, and in some ways have become worse. **** the fans eh.
I think this is a pretty consistent theme. They don't give a **** about fan retention (have the market cornered) and the digital world is a mysterious inconvenience.

The market has dictated that they compete though, but the admin clearly don't care about the final product, only how much Telstra are willing to pay for the rights.

Expansion is about TV rights. Rules changes are about avoiding lawsuits and attracting mums/supposedly being more appealing to the female market (therefore more new viewers) and selling the online digital rights to Telstra, who are known to provide a shitty product is again about the dollars coming in.

All have come at the expense of existing fans, all have come at the expense of the overall quality of the product, but what they represent is bigger dollar value when the rights negotiations are said and done and therefore bigger bonuses.

It isn't caretakers of the game acting responsibly and in the best interest of supporters, instead it is a great big exercise in pocket lining.

when do the teams come out and where on the site are they showing? seen a few teams out on my facebook feed but cant see a thing ont he AFL website...

edit: found where teams are showing but its round 1 teams. im a confused as to why soem teams have been published elsewhere and not on afl.com.au should i just assume this is a result of their incompetance?

i know what a load of rubbish it is. Last year it at least had some rubbish story then a link to the rounds teams. Now all it has it a link to the live chat with a whole load of crap. Just give me the damn team lists

I think this is a pretty consistent theme. They don't give a **** about fan retention (have the market cornered) and the digital world is a mysterious inconvenience.

The market has dictated that they compete though, but the admin clearly don't care about the final product, only how much Telstra are willing to pay for the rights.

Expansion is about TV rights. Rules changes are about avoiding lawsuits and attracting mums/supposedly being more appealing to the female market (therefore more new viewers) and selling the online digital rights to Telstra, who are known to provide a shitty product is again about the dollars coming in.

All have come at the expense of existing fans, all have come at the expense of the overall quality of the product, but what they represent is bigger dollar value when the rights negotiations are said and done and therefore bigger bonuses.

It isn't caretakers of the game acting responsibly and in the best interest of supporters, instead it is a great big exercise in pocket lining.

Like doesn't do this post justice!! Well said!!

I should be able to help fix the AFL website, just give me time to finish year 12 and do a 4 year Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science.

I saw the team line ups named on there and thought they'd finally got their shit together.

Then I realised it was still the round 1 teams.
Me three. Being in Perth I thought I must have missed the end of daylight saving over east, but no over on the North board somebody posted it from the North twitter feed.

The incompetence is unbelievable. At work late in round 1, I thought I'd just check the score in the Essendon-Adelaide season opener - proxy error. What ****ing organisation can't get their website working for the start of their busy season?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL.com.au is a disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back