AFL Diversity Manager banned for life from competing in football, stands down from position

Remove this Banner Ad

I notice he has said he "stood down" from his diversity role. Not the same as resigning from the AFL I'd have thought. Which he should btw.

Yep, first thing I thought too.

I'll stand down from my role at the AFL to seek help. (and then quietly slide back in again somewhere with a new title when no-one is looking)

i'm a bit confused- he mentions in a statement that he will stand down and then goes on to say that during this time he will seek help- does this mean he may come back after a period of time or its all over?

That's how I'm reading it. He steps down to seek help. Once that's done, he quietly slips back in under a new title or with the same one.

At work, if I was to be stood down, I'm not sacked. I stay away from work, usually on full pay until an investigation is conducted or whatever it is that needs to happen, happens.

Once that is done, I'd either be sacked or I'd just go back to work.

So for me, that's reading that he hasn't actually quit, nor has the AFL sacked him.

Gil will talk in that soft way that he has and tell us all of how brave Ali is in realising that he has a problem and doing something about it (on the AFL's coin) and once he's completed his anger management courses or whatever, he'll be welcomed back with open arms because the AFL is all about 2nd chances.

That's how I'm reading it. He steps down to seek help. Once that's done, he quietly slips back in under a new title or with the same one.

Fahour-Quits-AFL-v2.jpg

"On the basis of the seriousness of the charge and the tribunal sanction, I'll be standing down from my position at the AFL," Fahour said after the Northern Football League tribunal hearing on Wednesday night.

"In this time I'll seek professional help for my behaviours."

I reckon Herne Hill Hammer is on the money. This looks like he's standing down, go away for a while to get "help" and then come back in quietly because that's what the AFL do. Especially with one of their favourites

The language appears to be carefully structured to play the public as suckers once again. How can this person be ever believed that he cares about the programs he managed or the AFL? His window for truely showing that was Monday morning, when he should have resigned and unambiguously shown he was ashamed about how this reflected on his work and the programs he professes to care so much about. He didn't. Instead we had the well worn route of 'protecting others' ( how does that mitigate what was in essence an assault?), social media support for his character (mind you character references from those who play in the NFL against him were interesting), and now we get the weasel words of 'standing down'. All set for Gill to forgive him tomorrow, keep Ali employed, and Ali to keep his political ambitions, or whatever ambitions he has, alive by trading on the redemption story. I wonder if his big brother is advising him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old ask to step down or we will have to fire you quip...
jeez havent seen this before...
give us the brownlow bac.... nah wait, never heard it....

From the WTF File: if Fahour had coward punched that bloke another ten metres to the south behind the fence around the oval, he goes to jail.

Do it inside the boundary, wearing a number on your back and it's somehow different.

While AFL executive Ali Fahour will know his fate later on Wednesday when he fronts a suburban league tribunal, Victoria Police have confirmed that they have not laid any charges or commenced any probe into the incident

From the SMH: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...have-not-started-a-probe-20170705-gx4zgj.html

I'm surprised Caroline Wilson didn't pick up on this and run with an opinion piece on the inappropriateness of it this type of issue is her bread and butter. Afterall she's very big on conflict of interest and inappropriate relationships

Caro's waiting for Gilligan to get back to make sure she runs the right story.

Could not believe Karneizs was justifying his action by saying he was defending someone attacking Saad. If he was decent bloke like they are claiming he would have come in and pulled the guy off Saad, not come in swinging, i found it interesting after he hit the first guy he ran at another player, realised he was actually looking at him, so he backed off. To me that shows his real character on the football field, nothing more than a thug, and the NFL got it right with the suspension, hopefully this sets a precedent for all leagues to follow from now on when this type of action happens on field.

Yet more big crocodile tears at his tribunal presser. :'(
That was what I most noticed when he made the statement Monday, he wasn't sorry he did it... he was sorry he is being held accountable for it. He has a history of cheap off the ball shots it seems... the EXACT type of local player that needs to be booted and never allowed to play again.

I'd like to see the victim's bank statement in two weeks time if no criminal charges are laid. I'd take particular interest in transfers from any account linked to any one with the last name Fahour.

1. Ali Fahour has "stood down" from his job, not resigned. This takes the heat of the AFL and allows him to step back into his role at a later date when the heat is off. In essence Gil and the AFL can just make a statement about how they are going to support him in his treatment program etc.
2. Ali Fahour stated after the incident that he was embarrassed and ashamed of his actions and would plead guilty and wear the consequences. It is my understanding that he argued last night that he was defending his team-mate Ahmed Saad who was in a headlock being punched. So not really putting his hand up after all.
  • Ali Fahour was defending Ahmed Saad (The same one banned by the AFL for drinking a banned drink)
  • Patrick Karnesis on Facebook defending Ali Fahour saying he is a great bloke (Is Patrick still employed by the AFL as a Diversity Ambassador?)
  • Bachar Houli defends Ali Fahour after he king hits a player and says he is a great bloke
  • Ali Fahour gives Bachar Houli a character reference after he decks a blokes saying he is a great bloke
A lot of great blokes that don't look too great at the moment.

I would like to see the AFL come out and show some spine. Let's get rid of the culture in footy that tries to justify the unjustifiable.

Last edited:
1. Ali Fahour has "stood down" from his job, not resigned. This takes the heat of the AFL and allows him to step back into his role at a later date when the heat is off. In essence Gil and the AFL can just make a statement about how they are going to support his in his treatment program etc.
2. Ali Fahour stated after the incident that he was embarrassed and ashamed of his actions and would plead guilty and wear the consequences. It is my understanding that he argued last night that he was defending his team-mate Ahmed Saad who was in a headlock being punched. So not really putting his hand up after all.
  • Ali Fahour was defending Ahmed Saad (The same one banned by the AFL for drinking a banned drink)
  • Patrick Karnesis on Facebook defending Ali Fahour saying he is a great bloke (Is Patrick still employed by the AFL as a Diversity Ambassador?)
  • Bachar Houli defends Ali Fahour after he king hits a player and says he is a great bloke
  • Ali Fahour gives Bachar Houli a character reference after he decks a blokes saying he is a great bloke
A lot of great blokes that don't look too great at the moment.

I would like to see the AFL come out and show some spine. Let's get rid of the culture in footy that tries to justify the unjustifiable.

It would be too politically incorrect to come out and say it how it is. Gutless pricks.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Diversity Manager banned for life from competing in football, stands down from position

Remove this Banner Ad

Back