Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the play here? They need forwards badly, is it Petty is the new CHF and slot in which ever of Curtin or O'Sullivan is available into his vacancy?
If Curtin lasts, yes. If they choose Caddy he might start forward, if O'Sullivan I'm not sure if they want him forward or back.

Curtin reminds me of James Clement. A bit taller but comparable size relative to role and opponents.

Reckon you could categorize him more in the 'mobile tall' bucket rather than a true key back.

In the Ridley/Lever/Doedee/Blakey mould, I don't know about anyone else but I'd be very surprised if he fills out massively and stands on the bigger key forwards.

Reckon you could categorize him more in the 'mobile tall' bucket rather than a true key back.

In the Ridley/Lever/Doedee/Blakey mould, I don't know about anyone else but I'd be very surprised if he fills out massively and stands on the bigger key forwards.
He looks thicker than those guys. But I think the player comparison to Ridley is pretty spot on

Wanting to be right about another teams selection is peak Bigfooty dick measuring
You do not have to read it. The tab you are looking for is ignore 👍

Incorrect. I said Curtin was going to be snapped up by Melbourne in seconds which, if you were following the conversation, you would have realised. Like doug85 literally followed up about Curtin before you chimed in.

So you misread a conversation, attacked what I've heard (which EVERYONE ELSE could follow) and then claim I "backtracked" when you questioned on a completely different player.

I never guaranteed Caddy to Melbourne. I guaranteed Curtin to Melbourne if he got there. In fact, if you look at my phantom draft, I literally have Melbourne taking O'Sullivan ahead of Caddy.
My apologies, sorry i thought it was Caddy not Curtin

I got it wrong, sorry for this

What are you basing that on? And why do you think Curtin cant get to that after multiple AFL PS like Bont?
I’m basing Bont being a great runner when we was drafted on the numerous draft profiles that were out at the time: ie this one

I’m basing Curtin not being as gifted an aerobic runner based on his pre-draft profile such as the draft guide

No where have I said Curtin cant develop in this area. But it’s defs a difference in the two profiles and it’s no guarantee to just magically improve ie Parish will never be as good a runner as a Walsh, and Francis never had the aerobic upside of say a Curnow.

A few others that have been mentioned around the traps in a few phantom drafts that have some interest.

Luke Lloyd - 193cm 84kg forward from Sandringham .
Missed the start of the season with injury and as a result did not get a look in at the championships but he is a very smart forward with a good work rate. Gets up the ground on the lead but also leads to good spots inside 50. Good mark on the lead and in contested situations. Not as dynamic as Caddy who is a similar size but I think there has been a bit of out of ight out of mind with this bloke.

One for a late pick or rookie spot.
Nathan Philactides Oakleigh Chargers. 179cm 80kg small defender. Is a very speedy defender who likes to take the game on and use his pace and agility. Has some kicking / decision making issues to work out and can take the game on too much to the point he runs himself out of position defensively but when he gets it right he is an attacking weapon in the back half.

Bodie Ryan. 187cm 82kg defender. Glenelg . Strong intercepting half back who reads the play well and has good skills. Played in Glenelg"s Reserves premiership side this year . Can play a good defensive role and lock down on someone as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few others that have been mentioned around the traps in a few phantom drafts that have some interest.

Luke Lloyd - 193cm 84kg forward from Sandringham .
Missed the start of the season with injury and as a result did not get a look in at the championships but he is a very smart forward with a good work rate. Gets up the ground on the lead but also leads to good spots inside 50. Good mark on the lead and in contested situations. Not as dynamic as Caddy who is a similar size but I think there has been a nit of out of ight out of mind with this bloke.

One for a late pick or rookie spot.
Nathan Philactides Oakleigh Chargers. 179cm 80kg small defender. Is a very speedy defender who likes to take the game on and use his pace and agility. Has some kicking / decision making issues to work out and can take the game on too much to the point he runs himself out of position defensively but when he gets it right he is an attacking weapon in the back half.

Bodie Ryan. 187cm 82kg defender. Glenelg . Strong intercepting half back who reads the play well and has good skills. Played in Glenelg"s Reserves premiership side this year . Can play a good defensive role and lock down on someone as well.
Luke Lloyd kicked 19 for his school one day.

I'm open to taking him as well tbh. Would be nice to have a good De La Boy there

Can we get back to discussing our pick please?

Windsor looks like he is firming as a favourite. His pace really sets him apart.
Yes.
Caleb Windsor. Not the big strong contested midfielder most want which is an issue but neither is Darcy Wilson who I prefer.
What he does offer is line breaking pace and good skills and can kick a goal. We do lack line breakers with real pace so he would help us move the footy. The downside is he is not a contested ball winner as such and he is 184cm and 76kg. So he fits one need but not another . I like Wilson more as he is a bit taller and a better marking option as well . He has decent speed and great endurance. I can see where Windsor could fit in and he could certainly play a bit of small forward early on. Some real pace on the wing would help.

Have discussed McAuliffe previously as a possible for one of our picks in the thirties to cover inside midfielder but one bloke who may be a possible with one of the thirties picks is Luke Lloyd . I only saw him play a couple of times but have been watching the Sandringham games again and he looks to be decent forward. Not super tall at 193cm and not as dynamic as Caddy but has really good forward craft and is a strong contested mark and probably has more of a profile is he did not miss the first 7 games with injury as he then did not get a look in at championship level.

I’m basing Bont being a great runner when we was drafted on the numerous draft profiles that were out at the time: ie this one

I’m basing Curtin not being as gifted an aerobic runner based on his pre-draft profile such as the draft guide

No where have I said Curtin cant develop in this area. But it’s defs a difference in the two profiles and it’s no guarantee to just magically improve ie Parish will never be as good a runner as a Walsh, and Francis never had the aerobic upside of say a Curnow.
I personally dont see Bont as athletically outstanding

Same with Pendlebury

Endurance might be solid, but i dont necessarily think Curtins is poor. Hes obviously alot bigger than a 192cm rake at 17 years old like your comparison

Anyway we should stop dreaming about Curtin. Wed have to give up 2 first to get him

Last edited:
I personally dont see Bont as athletically outstanding

Same with Pendlebury

Endurance might be solid, but i dont necessarily think Curtins is poor. Hes obviously alot bigger than a 192cm rake at 17 years old like your comparison

Anyway we should stop dreaming about Curtin. Wed have to give up 2 first to get him
Swap out pick 9 and either 31 or 35. For Adelaide's 14 and 20.
Take tholstrup at 14 and collard at 20. Then best available at 31 or 35( maybe George Stevens or a ruckman who made of slipped thru

Swap out pick 9 and either 31 or 35. For Adelaide's 14 and 20.
Take tholstrup at 14 and collard at 20. Then best available at 31 or 35( maybe George Stevens or a ruckman who made of slipped thru
Id say wed need more

14 and 20 is worth 9 alone

Id need your F2 if we include one of those picks aswell

Any trade with 9 needs to involve thier 10 imo, the talent level between 20 and 31 isn’t much if at all but the difference between 9 and 14 is
It depends whos available at 9

But assume the elite 8 are gone, im ok with any below at 14

Windsor
Leake
Wilson
Tholstrup
C.Edwards

And apparently big into Harderman aswell so assume wed be ok if he was the last left on our ideal list at 14

But the numbers with the crows may just not work

Do i take 14, 20 and F2 for 9 and 35.... not sure, id need a think

Edit: Having a think, id need the Crows 2 x F2 and 14, 20 for 9 and 35

Last edited:
As of right now I think Essendons draft depends on who falls to their pick.

If it’s O’Sullivan I’d imagine Essendon trade back a few spots for a future first.
It sounds like the crows are desperate for a quality tall defender

So i think wed get a very good offer from the crows if Osullivan was there 10 and 20 for him. Then swap our 31/35 for their F2

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back