Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I was sort of hoping we could find a trade target for pick 9 during trade week but it did not happen.

What I will say is O'Sullivan is not what we have done in the past. Hayes 199cm 82kg. Reid 202cm 82kg. Cox 200cm. 87kg. All lightly framed that will take 5 seasons at least to build up the body size and Cox was always more a tall half back interceptor than genuine KPD. Cody Brand. Big body and booming kick but not overly athletic and slow.

If we went the O'Sullivan way it has more to do with drafting the wrong KPD previously rather than just drafting another one. Even if we do not go that way this year it is something that has to change in the same way as continually picking 180cm midfielders. He is not the same. He is more of a fusion of Brand size with Cox mobility .

Top picks are important but we have managed to either have them in the wrong draft (2020) or we have not used them as well as we could have (2016). Sure you can say do not pick another KPD but not every year the player we may want falls into range. I hope Cady gets to us and we pick him as we really need a hard leading strong marking KPF . I do not mind Wilson despite him being more outside as he is a decent mark and runs all day which we do not have a lot of in our medium size blokes. But I am not saying no to O'Sullivan simply because he is a KPD as the odds of the ones we have doing anything are not all that good right now.
at some stage you need to take stock of what you have and back them in.. IF you're not then move them on

Reid is firmly in this basket for 2024. Play 15+ games across AFL / VFL level or seripisuly ask yourself if he's worth holding onto, just because

at some stage you need to take stock of what you have and back them in.. IF you're not then move them on

Reid is firmly in this basket for 2024. Play 15+ games across AFL / VFL level or seripisuly ask yourself if he's worth holding onto, just because
And if he is 50/50 heading into 2024 then you already need to be looking forward. The fact they took 4 tall players in 2020 has no relevance now as two are gone and two are who knows. Like I have said 100 times. Sometimes it also depends on draft quality at the range of your picks.

And if he is 50/50 heading into 2024 then you already need to be looking forward. The fact they took 4 tall players in 2020 has no relevance now as two are gone and two are who knows. Like I have said 100 times. Sometimes it also depends on draft quality at the range of your picks.
If we take a tall defender in the draft then that says a lot to me. Would be disappointing but at least we could admit and start to move on

I was sort of hoping we could find a trade target for pick 9 during trade week but it did not happen.

What I will say is O'Sullivan is not what we have done in the past. Hayes 199cm 82kg. Reid 202cm 82kg. Cox 200cm. 87kg. All lightly framed that will take 5 seasons at least to build up the body size and Cox was always more a tall half back interceptor than genuine KPD. Cody Brand. Big body and booming kick but not overly athletic and slow.

If we went the O'Sullivan way it has more to do with drafting the wrong KPD previously rather than just drafting another one. Even if we do not go that way this year it is something that has to change in the same way as continually picking 180cm midfielders. He is not the same. He is more of a fusion of Brand size with Cox mobility .

Top picks are important but we have managed to either have them in the wrong draft (2020) or we have not used them as well as we could have (2016). Sure you can say do not pick another KPD but not every year the player we may want falls into range. I hope Cady gets to us and we pick him as we really need a hard leading strong marking KPF . I do not mind Wilson despite him being more outside as he is a decent mark and runs all day which we do not have a lot of in our medium size blokes. But I am not saying no to O'Sullivan simply because he is a KPD as the odds of the ones we have doing anything are not all that good right now.

See I think that was never a possibility because the value of the pick was always going to be determined by which of the elite 8 slipped, who wanted that player and if that player was a good fit for Essendon or not.

Going to have to be patient but I’m sure if it’s O’Connor they will have a trade lined up ready to go.

See I think that was never a possibility because the value of the pick was always going to be determined by which of the elite 8 slipped, who wanted that player and if that player was a good fit for Essendon or not.

Going to have to be patient but I’m sure if it’s O’Connor they will have a trade lined up ready to go.
Elite 8 . Rubbish media wank :cool:
The recruiting staff had a fair idea of who they liked during the trade period. It was not an option because we where not looking to trade out of the first round.

Elite 8 . Rubbish media wank :cool:
The recruiting staff had a fair idea of who they liked during the trade period. It was not an option because we where not looking to trade out of the first round.

Just because it’s a wank doesn’t mean it’s not true.

Statistically the 11th best player has a decent chance at being an AA but as you get past 12th that chance reduces significantly.

Essendon have pick 11 after bids so it’s essentially the last of the tier 1 picks in most drafts.

That has significant value as teams want to move up into that higher tier for a player who fell that fits a positional need for them

I'm sold on trading up for Curtin. He seems to prefer playing midfield as a Cripps-like player and using his big body and I think he can do it. He can also go back and play as a genuine KPD or even play forward and impact the game. It could mean Reid plays the forward/ruck role.

He played in the midfield before his growth spurt and it's very obvious that he can become a natural mid at AFL level by the way he moves. He's far less of a long-term project player which is what the list needs.

Caddy is a nice consolation price, but I prefer Curtin.
Curtin surely doesn't slide. Pipedream.

I think best case scenario is Caddy and O'Sullivan are available at our pick and we trade back with Adelaide while still securing Caddy.

Caddy plus one of Wilson, Edwards, Hardeman would be ace.

And if we end up with O'Sullivan I have faith in him going past Jones by season end if we play him as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because it’s a wank doesn’t mean it’s not true.

Statistically the 11th best player has a decent chance at being an AA but as you get past 12th that chance reduces significantly.

Essendon have pick 11 after bids so it’s essentially the last of the tier 1 picks in most drafts.

That has significant value as teams want to move up into that higher tier for a player who fell that fits a positional need for them
It was not true. The elite 8 has stretched to the elite 10 or 11. There are two elite players in this draft on current form. That is my opinion based on seeing a lot and I am sticking to it. There was never an elite 8. :cool:

Still can’t believe north arent taking curtin, it’s their biggest list need, they don’t need another mid sized forward. He must’ve not filled them with confidence he’d stick around, or they have genuine ptsd after jhf

Still can’t believe north arent taking curtin, it’s their biggest list need, they don’t need another mid sized forward. He must’ve not filled them with confidence he’d stick around, or they have genuine ptsd after jhf
Isn't the 3 years guarantee for first rounders the reason they do it for kids that may be a flight risk?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back