Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think we currently have enough run to match it with GWS, Collingwood, Port etc?
We've just brought in Duursma, Tsatas, and Gresham.

Sure you can never have enough outside run, especially with the forward half press in the modern game, but it's not an area of need for us over a kpf.

I mean we are having to play Weidemann. Stringers perennially injured and Wright goes missing for large chunks.

We've just brought in Duursma, Tsatas, and Gresham.
Can never have enough outside run, especially with the forward half press in the modern game, but it's not an area of need for us over a kpf.
I think we need much much more run. Tsatas needs more time to build his tank, Gresham and Duurs help - but man we still have no answer for the top teams in the comp. I have it as priority one given how the game is played today. But agree more firepower also a need to a degree.

I think we need much much more run. Tsatas needs more time to build his tank, Gresham and Duurs help - but man we still have no answer for the top teams in the comp. I have it as priority one given how the game is played today. But agree more firepower also a need to a degree.

Quality key forwards are harder to get. Outside runners are not.

Imo we use our top pick on the quality kpf.
Our lower picks we take an outside runner if need be.

But yes, I wouldn't be disappointed if we took Windsor. I think he'll be a beauty.

Last edited:
Quality key forwards are harder to get. Outside runners are not.

Imo we use our top pick on the quality kpf.
Our lower picks we take an outside runner if need be.

But yes, I wouldn't be disappointed if we took Windsor. I think he'll be a beauty.
I feel like we more or less agree.

I’m just sick to death of getting overrun/running out of legs against the best teams in the comp who prioritise great aerobic players as a list build strategy.

I feel like we more or less agree.

I’m just sick to death of getting overrun/running out of legs against the best teams in the comp who prioritise great aerobic players as a list build strategy.

Part of this comes from not actually being a good football side, and playing a lot of kids.

If we're playing at 100% just to stay with these sides for half a game whilst they're managing their effort, of course you're going to blow up. Across a whole season that adds up, which is why we keep falling away.

We rely heavily on too few senior players (that are good) to do the heavy lifting, so once the kids run out of legs to help them out, even the mature players blow up.

Yes, we need more players with good tanks, but it's not just a fitness thing.

Part of this comes from not actually being a good football side, and playing a lot of kids.

If we're playing at 100% just to stay with these sides for half a game whilst they're managing their effort, of course you're going to blow up. Across a whole season that adds up, which is why we keep falling away.

We rely heavily on too few senior players (that are good) to do the heavy lifting, so once the kids run out of legs to help them out, even the mature players blow up.

Yes, we need more players with good tanks, but it's not just a fitness thing.
I agree 100% it’s not just a fitness thing. Doesn’t help changing coaches/boards etc. I’m also under no illusion that the wheels fell off the Hobbs, Caldwell, Martin, Perkins & Durham group which is fine as they are kids and had to do heavy lifting.

But we haven’t prioritised aerobic runners draft after draft. Others have, and they have had sustained success. The trend is you have to run aggressively for 4 quarters, I’d like to see that reflected in our list management.

Drafting key position with our first pick feels like it would be taking the piss a bit.

I want Wilson if we can't get Duursma, then just take Archer Reid later.

Drafting key position with our first pick feels like it would be taking the piss a bit.

I want Wilson if we can't get Duursma, then just take Archer Reid later.

Caddy from an athletic profile perspective would be a solid choice IMO; he's got great speed and is a real marking presence with a solid tank that's already AFL standard, and a body that only needs about 3-5kg more on it. We also probably do need another genuine KPF option.

He's a little shorter than ideal, but with his reach it probably doesn't matter anyway, a very similar profile to Curnow.

Problem we've got is that there's not really a true 'needs' type at our selection if Caddy or Sanders aren't available.

Caddy from an athletic profile perspective would be a solid choice IMO; he's got great speed and is a real marking presence with a solid tank that's already AFL standard, and a body that only needs about 3-5kg more on it. We also probably do need another genuine KPF option.

He's a little shorter than ideal, but with his reach it probably doesn't matter anyway, a very similar profile to Curnow.

Problem we've got is that there's not really a true 'needs' type at our selection if Caddy or Sanders aren't available.
I can see the appeal of Caddy - I definitely see shades of Hawkins/Curnow there. How it translates to the next level is probably my query, massive boom or bust pick imo.

I'd love Sanders too but feels as likely as Duursma. Won't be thrilled if we take O'Sullivan however, I like him as a prospect don't get me wrong but we have way too many guys already in that spot.

My final:

Pick 9:
1) Curtin
2) Caddy
3) Trade 9 and 31 for 10 and 14 (Crows)
4) Trade 9 and 35 for 10 and 20 (Crows)
5) Trade 9 for Saints 13 and F1
6) Trade 9 for Swans 12 and F1
7) Trade 9, 31 and 35 for Roos 15, 17 and 18
8) Tholstrup
9) C.Osullivan

Pick 31/35 (If Caddy):
1) C.Edwards
2) H.Demattia
3). Harderman
4) Olli Murphy
5) G.Stevens
6) A.Roberts
7) Kade De La Rue
8) T.Jiath
9) O.Ryan

If not Caddy

1) A.Reid
2) L.Morris

on top of that list

I can see the appeal of Caddy - I definitely see shades of Hawkins/Curnow there. How it translates to the next level is probably my query, massive boom or bust pick imo.

I'd love Sanders too but feels as likely as Duursma. Won't be thrilled if we take O'Sullivan however, I like him as a prospect don't get me wrong but we have way too many guys already in that spot.
Agree with the boom or bust in general here

I think thats why hes not top 6, because hes not a safe top 6 but his upside is probably only behind H.Reid, Duursma

Mcgrath was the safe pick whereas Taranto and Mcluggage had greater ceiling but greater risk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with the boom or bust in general here

I think thats why hes not top 6, because hes not a safe top 6 but his upside is probably only behind H.Reid, Duursma

Mcgrath was the safe pick whereas Taranto and Mcluggage had greater ceiling but greater risk

The thing that hasn't been brought up much about Caddy is his ability to play midfield time too.

His size, power and skills up the ground could be a real bonus to us. And outside of Stringer, we don't have that type of player.

The thing that hasn't been brought up much about Caddy is his ability to play midfield time too.

His size, power and skills up the ground could be a real bonus to us. And outside of Stringer, we don't have that type of player.
A fit/unfit Stringer has made the difference and we need a plan to fill that gap with his advancing age and waning afl health - I get the feeling Caddy will go a pick before us though.

He'd be a replacement for Langford and not really the big marking chf we need

On SM-A336E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out of Leake, Wilson & Windsor who would be the best kick?

On SM-A336E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back