Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

And even if Geelong pick a star with pick 31, we need to all remember that Essendon were 95% not going to pick that player.
Rofl, ok - that's a good point. That has made me feel much better about it.

And gave something up for no reason, when we need as many picks as possible.
Geelong were going O'Sullivan the entire time.

If Geelong were really going for Caddy, and pick 31 isn't a big deal, then why did it change their mind?
Boncer > Geelong recruiting team.

Geelong only had 2 picks in the draft. 8 and 25.
Mackie went on the record numerous times saying they’ve neglected the draft in previous years and wanted numerous picks to address needs.
we gave them that option with another pick under 35 for sliding back a spot.
Obviously a great deal for them, doesn’t mean they were not going to take caddy.
We knew what we wanted and went and got it.
There’s always a bunch of sour grapes who try find a negative.
We got caddy mate, you can go cry about it if you want but I’m wrapped.

People complain when we miss out on a player we need because we don't want to lose a trade. Now we lose a trade to get the player we need and people still complain. Obviously there was enough doubt around Geelong taking Caddy that we felt 31 was a necessary sacrifice. If Caddy goes on to be a gun no one is going to care we lost a fairly meaningless pick to get him.

Wanted Caddy so I'm happy. Will be a great addition.

Well, I thought Gothard was going to be there TBH, I rated him as a top 5 talent in the draft.
All the projections had him as late 40s to rookie picks.

At the end of the day, the best way to draft is to throw as many darts as possible.
Wasting them is just silly.
****ing 15 posts later we got there you miserable campaigner. ;) All I wanted was the name so I could keep an eye out. 😂

And gave something up for no reason, when we need as many picks as possible.
Geelong were going O'Sullivan the entire time.

If Geelong were really going for Caddy, and pick 31 isn't a big deal, then why did it change their mind?
Boncer > Geelong recruiting team.
Why are you targeting me? I literally just asked a question. 😂

There’s always a bunch of sour grapes who try find a negative.
I wouldn't say I am that kind of person/poster generally.
I am just passionate about drafts in all sports. I just think we need darts to throw, considering how often we actually hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Caddy kicks 500 goals for us, I’m pretty sure no one will give a shit about whoever is taken at pick 31 (which probably blows out to 37).

Matthew Croft, Kretiuk, Steve Kolyniuk, Simon Garlick.

Geeze the Dogs turned out some ugly, ugly looking defenders in the early 2000s

You can't say we didn't have to give up pick 31. Geelong could have rated O'Sullivan very close to Caddy, maybe leaning slightly towards Caddy. We had to tip it in our favour.

We have too many KP backs which is poor list management and we weren't in a similar position (To have a choice to take a forward and back who shared a similar value)

Well, I thought Gothard was going to be there TBH, I rated him as a top 5 talent in the draft.
All the projections had him as late 40s to rookie picks.

At the end of the day, the best way to draft is to throw as many darts as possible.
Wasting them is just silly.

I'd say Geelong just played their draft hand well.
They were happy to take Caddy or OSullivan.

They knew we wouldn't want OSullivan and would likely have to trade back because we wanted Caddy and then no real need after that so they basically extract the value out of us that they can. Also can threaten trading to another club who may take Caddy.

Kudos to us though, pay the price to get the player that you need instead of just allowing him to go and then taking "best player available" in a position that is not a need.

A pick 31 is not the difference in this club being any good going forward, so we stay excited about what we do have and back in the talent we did bring in, not panic about what we didn't, at least this early.

No idea.
Apparently pick 31 is worth nothing - but it's enough to make them change their mind from taking the player they want.
Geelong are a poorly run team as we know.
Perhaps Geelong were happy with either Caddy or O'Sullivan and getting an extra pick is just a bonus? Obviously we were worried enough to think the trade was worthwhile to get the player we really needed, and our recruiting team would have a much better insight than any of us.

You can also like the Caddy pick as well as thinking it’s expensive. I was hoping for Caddy. But pick 31 isn’t just valueless as some seem to be suggesting
But there was a real doubt that Geelong would select Caddy.

Phantom drafts from draft experts had Geelong either selecting Curtin if he slides or Caddy. Are Essendon just going to sit there and let Geelong take the player they need? I'd rather give pick 31 than select another KPD in O'Sullivan which messes the list balance.

In a shallow draft, I'd be mad if they didn't trade pick 31.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back