Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't believe it was all on Kyle. He certainly had the talent, we couldn't harness the bushfire that he was imho
Not sure anyone could have.

makes sense why someone like Kyle didn't survive at Essendon yet a bloke like Jack Darling plays 200 games, premiership, club b&f (?).

Our culture is that shit we cant content any one with a sceric of outwardness.. I mean, I saw Jayden Laverde has a leg tat and was blown away by it. How many of our players have tattoos visible?
Stringer and Draper don't count? Coincidentally the two players are supporter based like to pin every loss on. Maybe the majority of the supporters can't handle anyone with a loose personality too

For the draft watchers, what are your thoughts on Xavier Lindsay?

Errol Gulden type with elite kick and decision making, which we need desperately.

Stringer and Draper don't count? Coincidentally the two players are supporter based like to pin every loss on. Maybe the majority of the supporters can't handle anyone with a loose personality too
Draper is a buffoon but hardly a wild child. Stringer obviously had to wake up to himself after leaving the Dogs in acrimonious ways

Not sure anyone could have.
Probably need to elaborate on my point. And it will lend itself to the debate of "drafting v development" but that sort of tools v talent, I can only think of Jordan Houlihan whom we drafted as a marking fwd half player. Someone who could have neem anything. It feels like we don't do risky, we stay in our lane and it shows. Even late, we go for the mature aged player than the high risk rookie. We're content with 120 AFL games than 250 games from a rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry + Kako just seems overkill on small players especially with Daveys, Tex, Saad, and Smart in and around the program.

Not to mention Merrett Parish Caldwell, Hobbs, Sheil, McGrath, Gresham and Roberts in the mix

In that range they could grab a really good midsized midfielder/flanker who could possibly even play right away and sure up the midfield defensively

If we’re still short a SF next season then just use a FRP on next years best SF there is one every year

How many does a club need?
I did not realize there was a set number . You are the one that keeps saying Alwyn is more an up the ground player and Jayden should be moved to the rookie list.

I did not realize there was a set number . You are the one that keeps saying Alwyn is more an up the ground player and Jayden should be moved to the rookie list.
to be fair, if we had of moved on Menzie and downgraded Jayden then perhaps two would be feasible.

There will be odd ones out (from other clubs) but ideally 4 would suit my list wants (2 in senior team, 2 in reserves developing).

Berry + Kako just seems overkill on small players especially with Daveys, Tex, Saad, and Smart in and around the program.

Not to mention Merrett Parish Caldwell, Hobbs, Sheil, McGrath, Gresham and Roberts in the mix

In that range they could grab a really good midsized midfielder/flanker who could possibly even play right away and sure up the midfield defensively

If we’re still short a SF next season then just use a FRP on next years best SF there is one every year
Some of the best small forwards are taken in the rookie draft (Charlie Cameron & Tom Papley come to mind)

Just seems to my eye that the bulk of our issues are derivative of the forward line. Our midfield gets it in there fine ,most times we get it in more than our opponents, the fact that we cant take a mark and convert or lock it in for a stoppage is the issue that snowballs into defensive transition issues and then a bombarded backline which hadn't set itself up that gets overwhelmed.

Surely fixing one issue fixes most here.

Find a clunk tall who at worst halves the contest ,find 2 manic pressure fwds with class and goal sense to keep it in and or/finish on the crumb and everything changes.

to be fair, if we had of moved on Menzie and downgraded Jayden then perhaps two would be feasible.

There will be odd ones out (from other clubs) but ideally 4 would suit my list wants (2 in senior team, 2 in reserves developing).
Hawks play 4 on the ground. Menzie is just filling time . It is really him or someone at pick 110 .

Berry is a good tackler, has had a few nice run downs
Funny, my video choice today is spot on to illustrate this point! ;)

----

Berry turned in an excellent performance to close out his Champs campaign. He roamed up the ground and had a couple of rotations on ball getting himself involved in attacking ball movement, but the main thing that stood out was his elite pressure inside 50, with all five of his tackles coming in that area, two of them directly leading to shots on goal.

Hawks play 4 on the ground. Menzie is just filling time . It is really him or someone at pick 110 .
menzies best bet for mine is as a small defender. Id definitely give him the preseason there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back