Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

The new normal for Kako seems to be spending much more time in the midfield with just occasional resting stints forward. At the Talent League level this suits his game well as he's able to just his burst of pace to help his midfield group exit congestion, and use his vision and field kicking to hit up targets in the corridor. The move towards more midfield time also hasn't appeared to reduce his ability to hit the scoreboard.

Unfortunately, as with several games this weekend, we lost sections of the fourth quarter to technical difficulties.

Stats are up and he’s now credited with 2 goals, 20 disposals and 5 tackles.

View attachment 2063402

Got around to updating this for Round 20, and we now have pick 9... 🤔

Not enough, I want more. St Kilda and Adelaide are 3 wins (or so) behind us. Maybe a bridge too far, but Collingwood and Melbourne are 1 win from jumping us, Gold Cost need 2. So pick 6 is surely the goal.

Though isn't pick 6 the cursed one?

Not enough, I want more. St Kilda and Adelaide are 3 wins (or so) behind us. Maybe a bridge too far, but Collingwood and Melbourne are 1 win from jumping us, Gold Cost need 2. So pick 6 is surely the goal.

Probably gets pushed out by Lombard and Ashcroft

Jumper no. 17 is also cursed though, so perhaps if we put pick 6 in no. 17 they'll cancel each other out

Will likely be pick 7 or 8 by the end of the season.

Where is Kako likely to fall eDPS ?
eDPS will obviously know more than me. But a couple of media outlets had him around pick 15 post championships. Since then he’s had 2 very strong games so may have pushed higher up the order.

Bloody Kako is pushing himself into top 8 range...
Only team I'm worried about picking Kako that early is Fremantle so hopefully the Pies do us a solid and finish above us.

Shame about Freo since they would've been a good trade back target with how even the first round is shaping up, but I wouldn't risk trading back now since we can lose out on Kako.

Also hope Suns finish ahead of us and we bid on their player, f em.

Can any draft watchers who've seen Xavier Lindsay play tell us a bit, please if you can? Does he have a defensive game. I feel like he's flying under the radar but he sounds like a gem.

I think I'll follow his career where ever he ends up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can any draft watchers who've seen Xavier Lindsay play tell us a bit, please if you can? Does he have a defensive game. I feel like he's flying under the radar but he sounds like a gem.
I see him as a Merrett 2.0, a little taller and better overhead though. Has a great mix of inside and outside, a willing tackler and strong leader. Likely plays half back or wing to start he would be very high in my thinking for our pick.

I see him as a Merrett 2.0, a little taller and better overhead though. Has a great mix of inside and outside, a willing tackler and strong leader. Likely plays half back or wing to start he would be very high in my thinking for our pick.
I'm super keen. Descriptions of his ball use drew my attention but I can't decide between him and a meat-axe type like Langford.

At this stage I could see value in taking any of the following along with Kako if we can and if these guys end up around the pick 9 or better range.
Sam Lalor.
Joe Berry.
Tobie Travaglia.
Harvey Langford.
Xavier Lindsay.
They all offer us one of the skill sets we need.

At this stage I could see value in taking any of the following along with Kako if we can and if these guys end up around the pick 9 or better range.
Sam Lalor.
Joe Berry.
Tobie Travaglia.
Harvey Langford.
Xavier Lindsay.

Do any have a weakness that we already have in the team that perhaps would normally be overlooked?
Kicking, running power, strength, size?

Do they each have an elite weapon? (Pace, kicking, size, generally clean skills)

Sam Lalor.
Joe Berry.
Tobie Travaglia.
Harvey Langford.
Xavier Lindsay.

Like that group too. Berry is the only one Im a bit sus on. Im confident he'll be a good player, just cant map him to an existing player. Maybe Dylan Moore? Is that worth a top 10 pick?

I generally think highest potential over safe bet as I think safe bets have got us to where we are. Does he have a Gary Ablett jr lite potential?

Jobe Shanahan is playing for the vfl today.
Very talented forward who is friends with someone the bombers may covet down the track.
Isaac Kako falls in the 10 to 20 range but if a freo bid earlier than our pick for him we are in a bit of trouble.
One strategy may be to have trade of our first round pick prepared as the swans did with west coast.
I wonder if essendon examine their list and aspire to get more points.
Darcy parish to Geelong may be one to keep an eye on if they miss out on Bailey smith.
Elijah tsatsas may garner a late first round.
Jake stringer a second round selection.
Dylan shiel a second round selection.
Peter wright a second round selection.
If we get to use our first round pick and then get Isaac kako it is a terrific draft for the bombers. He is a better small forward now than Joe Menzies which means he is best 23 for us. He also very close with Nate caddy from school footy.

Honest hard working midfielder and flanker who has two weapons- his left foot and ability to win a lot of footy as an inside outside player. Not sure he suits the bombers as much as others but will be a good afl player.

Jobe Shanahan is playing for the vfl today.
Very talented forward who is friends with someone the bombers may covet down the track.
Isaac Kako falls in the 10 to 20 range but if a freo bid earlier than our pick for him we are in a bit of trouble.
One strategy may be to have trade of our first round pick prepared as the swans did with west coast.
I wonder if essendon examine their list and aspire to get more points.
Darcy parish to Geelong may be one to keep an eye on if they miss out on Bailey smith.
Elijah tsatsas may garner a late first round.
Jake stringer a second round selection.
Dylan shiel a second round selection.
Peter wright a second round selection.
If we get to use our first round pick and then get Isaac kako it is a terrific draft for the bombers. He is a better small forward now than Joe Menzies which means he is best 23 for us. He also very close with Nate caddy from school footy.

Shiel, Stringer and Wright together would be lucky to garner a second rounders, let alone each.

Shiel, Stringer and Wright together would be lucky to garner a second rounders, let alone each.
I reckon Melbourne would give up a second rounder for stringer- maybe even wright.
Sheil you are probably right mate perhaps stkilda third rounder gets it done.
Maybe a 4th rounder if they agree not to bid on Isaac

Honest hard working midfielder and flanker who has two weapons- his left foot and ability to win a lot of footy as an inside outside player. Not sure he suits the bombers as much as others but will be a good afl player.
Yeah, that's why I asked if he had a defensive game. I wondered if he could play Martin's hb role so Martin can go back to a wing.

I reckon Melbourne would give up a second rounder for stringer- maybe even wright.
Sheil you are probably right mate perhaps stkilda third rounder gets it done.
Maybe a 4th rounder if they agree not to bid on Isaac

I reckon Stringer could nab us one of Melbourne's third rounders.

I think Wright could potentially grab us a third from the right team but I reckon we hold him.

Shiel will get us a pick but we will need to send a later round back. My guess is something like Shiel and our future Fourth for a current third.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back