Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jobe Shanahan is playing for the vfl today.
Very talented forward who is friends with someone the bombers may covet down the track.
Isaac Kako falls in the 10 to 20 range but if a freo bid earlier than our pick for him we are in a bit of trouble.
One strategy may be to have trade of our first round pick prepared as the swans did with west coast.
I wonder if essendon examine their list and aspire to get more points.
Darcy parish to Geelong may be one to keep an eye on if they miss out on Bailey smith.
Elijah tsatsas may garner a late first round.
Jake stringer a second round selection.
Dylan shiel a second round selection.
Peter wright a second round selection.
If we get to use our first round pick and then get Isaac kako it is a terrific draft for the bombers. He is a better small forward now than Joe Menzies which means he is best 23 for us. He also very close with Nate caddy from school footy.
Fremantle may depend on the Shai Bolton situation.

Like that group too. Berry is the only one Im a bit sus on. Im confident he'll be a good player, just cant map him to an existing player. Maybe Dylan Moore? Is that worth a top 10 pick?

I generally think highest potential over safe bet as I think safe bets have got us to where we are. Does he have a Gary Ablett jr lite potential?

Keeping in mind of course that Tsatas was a pick on potential and now we all want to trade him before he has even played 1 full AFL game in the middle.

Keeping in mind of course that Tsatas was a pick on potential and now we all want to trade him before he has even played 1 full AFL game in the middle.

I don't want to trade him...

It's easier when you realise devil's advocate, sarcasm and hyperbole is Zach Package's thing.

What’s even more impressive is my formal training is in paediatrics

I don't think Tsatas was the potential pick and argued that adnausem before the draft. He averaged 30 touches since he was about 16. I think he was viewed as the cant miss choice, because we knew at least going to be productive and the really poor foot skills caught them by surprise.

I'd say the potential picks were Phillipou and Humphrey. Who had genuine goal kicking in their games as have all the really dominant mids of this generation.

I don't think Tsatas was the potential pick and argued that adnausem before the draft. He averaged 30 touches since he was about 16. I think he was viewed as the cant miss choice, because we knew at least going to be productive and the really poor foot skills caught them by surprise.

I'd say the potential picks were Phillipou and Humphrey. Who had genuine goal kicking in their games as have all the really dominant mids of this generation.
Agree, Humphrey in particular charged up the draft order late. Tsatas was a known commodity.

Still, Tsatas with the injuries he’s had needs time - and still has a high ceiling imo/goal kicking or not

The safe selection in that context is probably Ginbey or Ollie Hollands, but I cede the point that there were also other high ceiling picks around in that area.

Marc McGowan has done a top 30 in The Age
  1. Jagga Smith
  2. Levi Ashcroft
  3. Finn O’Sullivan
  4. Josh Smilie
  5. Sam Lalor
  6. Sid Draper
  7. Luke Trainor
  8. Harry Armstrong
  9. Bo Allan
  10. Xavier Lyndsay
  11. Harvey Langford
  12. Kako
  13. Tobie Travaglia
  14. Leo Lombard
  15. Taj Hotton
  16. Joe Berry
  17. Murphy Reid
  18. Christian Moraes
  19. Alexzander Tauru
  20. Alex Dodson
  21. Jobe Shanahan
  22. Jack Whitlock
  23. Jesse Datoli
  24. Tom Gross
  25. Harrison Oliver
  26. Jonty Faull
  27. Thomas Sims
  28. Sam Marshall
  29. Matt Whitlock
  30. Noah Mraz

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-year-s-afl-draft-class-20240724-p5jw84.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marc McGowan has done a top 30 in The Age
  1. Jagga Smith
  2. Levi Ashcroft
  3. Finn O’Sullivan
  4. Josh Smilie
  5. Sam Lalor
  6. Sid Draper
  7. Luke Trainor
  8. Harry Armstrong
  9. Bo Allan
  10. Xavier Lyndsay
  11. Harvey Langford
  12. Kako
  13. Tobie Travaglia
  14. Leo Lombard
  15. Taj Hotton
  16. Joe Berry
  17. Murphy Reid
  18. Christian Moraes
  19. Alexzander Tauru
  20. Alex Dodson
  21. Jobe Shanahan
  22. Jack Whitlock
  23. Jesse Datoli
  24. Tom Gross
  25. Harrison Oliver
  26. Jonty Faull
  27. Thomas Sims
  28. Sam Marshall
  29. Matt Whitlock
  30. Noah Mraz

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-year-s-afl-draft-class-20240724-p5jw84.html

I highly doubt Murphy Reid gets to 17.

A day to remember for Jobe Shanahan as he made his VFL debut and managed to mark the occasion by slotting 4 goals to help his team get up for a win. His second goal was an outstanding solo effort with a contested mark, follow by a quick and decisive play on and long running shot from outside 50s to an empty goal square. His third and fourth goals showed his lead/mark craft as well as lovely set shot goal kicking from near the 50 meter arc.

We just need a good footballer. Hopefully with some speed and running power.

And someone to shake up the club and question everything.

Said before but I would seriously consider nsider going the Berry/Kako double to sit at Caddys feet.
That would leave us with 2X Davey, Menzie, and Gresham, plus those two as small forwards on the list. You're only picking both if you're fairly confident none of the small forwards currently listed are going to make it, and it's probably a year or two too soon to tell for the Daveys.

That would leave us with 2X Davey, Menzie, and Gresham, plus those two as small forwards on the list. You're only picking both if you're fairly confident none of the small forwards currently listed are going to make it, and it's probably a year or two too soon to tell for the Daveys.
Don’t think Jayden or Menzie will make it. Alwyn has the speed to worry defenders but lacks the forward craft. Gresh is solid enough but slow for his position. Kako and Berry improve us so much in the front half and whilst you can fill holes for other positions through other clubs’ fringe players, there’s really nothing available in terms of effective small forwards.

Don’t think Jayden or Menzie will make it. Alwyn has the speed to worry defenders but lacks the forward craft. Gresh is solid enough but slow for his position. Kako and Berry improve us so much in the front half and whilst you can fill holes for other positions through other clubs’ fringe players, there’s really nothing available in terms of effective small forwards.
We're still missing a good outside midfielder and a true full forward, I'd sooner take my chances getting a small forward through the scrap heap or the rookie draft than I would those positions.

personally I’d be wanting a versatile midsize player with speed and a good kick.

Someone like a lalor or Langford. Kako.

Have too many smalls on our team already it’s hard enough trying to find the minutes for the guys we have.

I think we'd be far far better off getting a rebounding defender with an elite kick so we can play Martin on the wing/HFF. That positional change will provide much more improvement than a second small forward.

I think we'd be far far better off getting a rebounding defender with an elite kick so we can play Martin on the wing/HFF. That positional change will provide much more improvement than a second small forward.
Martin is a special guy. I also prefer him playing in a forward half role but think ultimately his best work will be done floating wherever he is needed. Half back is the easiest role on the field, I'd hesitate to spend such a high pick given our other deficiencies. Berry is a great kick and could easily play off half back, realistically he's just too good further afield to waste back there.

We're still missing a good outside midfielder and a true full forward, I'd sooner take my chances getting a small forward through the scrap heap or the rookie draft than I would those positions.
Josh Fahey, Conor Stone, Nathan O'Driscoll, Harry Sharp. All elite endurance athletes on their respective clubs fringes that can fill a role on the outside. I can't find one with the right attributes for a small forward role.

Also think Berry is being undersold as just a small forward, he could play all thirds of the field in an outside role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back