Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly a stupid question.. but if we went into the draft with our current hand and had to match at bid for Kako at say the 10-15 pick range. Would we have a pick left after matching, or would we have to trade back in?

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You get as many picks as list slots avaliable. At the moment we have only two cause most places only track the first four round, but more will generate at the end of the draft.

Possibly a stupid question.. but if we went into the draft with our current hand and had to match at bid for Kako at say the 10-15 pick range. Would we have a pick left after matching, or would we have to trade back in?

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
My understanding is that if we went in with say pick 10 and 30 (roughly our first and second rounder) and we used 10 before the Kako bid we would then use pick 30 and have points come off our first rounder next year (say we end up having pick 5 next year it may drop back to pick 10)…or something like that.

You would think we would try and get some more points/picks in trade period to avoid that happening

Quiet one for Kako on the weekend, maybe we have requested queue in rack?

Lindsay 26 and a goal, Travaglia 27, a goal and 11 tackles, Moraes 27 disposals and 5.2.
Think kako has showed his talents enough and his draft range would almost be locked regardless of what he does from here, barring a Steele Sidebottom esk grand final day

Part of me wants a genuine Gryan Miers or Dylan Moore type half forward. Gresham can kinda do it but those two are also awesome at pressure.

Langford the one for us. Big brute of a kid. Inside or out mid. Left footer.

What is the knock on his Stingrays team mate Cooper Hynes eDPS ydc55. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to say, as this draft is so good at the top end, but I doubt he gets to us. Just look at this performace. He does everything. A little more ambitious and hes kicking 4-5 goals, while being a bull and classy ball user. Bontempelli-esque.

Part of me wants a genuine Gryan Miers or Dylan Moore type half forward. Gresham can kinda do it but those two are also awesome at pressure.
We’ve already spent a small fortune on small fwd unless youre in the throw enough darts until you hit a bullseye type of guys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to say, as this draft is so good at the top end, but I doubt he gets to us. Just look at this performace. He does everything. A little more ambitious and hes kicking 4-5 goals, while being a bull and classy ball user. Bontempelli-esque.
Yeah, look a man can dream. If he doesn’t get to us then Travaglia, if he doesn’t then Sam Lalor is out man. In that order

Lalor sounds like a powerful mid/fwd, something we haven’t had much of. Perkins was meant to be it but he is more timid than a child plying pass the parcel at a 3 year old birthday party

I have Langford quite high as well, and he's certainly produced the numbers all season and even more than that he's demonstrated leadership and a dominant mindset that you love to see.

The thing that makes me a bit nervous about him is that people who's opinion I respect like eDPS and PMBangers have him lower than I do on concerns about his lack of athleticism limiting his role at AFL level.

I have Langford quite high as well, and he's certainly produced the numbers all season and even more than that he's demonstrated leadership and a dominant mindset that you love to see.

The thing that makes me a bit nervous about him is that people who's opinion I respect like eDPS and PMBangers have him lower than I do on concerns about his lack of athleticism limiting his role at AFL level.
I heard he has OP

We’ve already spent a small fortune on small fwd unless youre in the throw enough darts until you hit a bullseye type of guys
Half forward, not small forward. I think ADJ is one of them but another would be preferable. In the future landscape I like a structure or:

2x HF (Davey/???)
2x KPF (Caddy, Wright/Vigo)
1x Medium (Langford)
2x Small (Kako/???)

Half forward, not small forward. I think ADJ is one of them but another would be preferable. In the future landscape I like a structure or:

2x HF (Davey/???)
2x KPF (Caddy, Wright/Vigo)
1x Medium (Langford)
2x Small (Kako/???)
Small forwards is what Moore et all seem to play as a conduit between midfield and fwd lines.

A. Davey
J.Davey
Menzie
Gresham

(Kako)

That is not counting Stringer, Langford, Perkins who seem to play that hybrid mid who can push up the ground as well.

In saying that, I do want a taller, marking version of the player you are suggesting so can’t be to critical of your thinking.

Small forwards is what Moore et all seem to play as a conduit between midfield and fwd lines.

A. Davey
J.Davey
Menzie
Gresham

(Kako)

That is not counting Stringer, Langford, Perkins who seem to play that hybrid mid who can push up the ground as well.

In saying that, I do want a taller, marking version of the player you are suggesting so can’t be to critical of your thinking.
You're not getting it.

I see Miers and Moore as your traditional half forwards, like Monfries was. Small forwards are more the Walla, Stengle types who play deeper.

Admittedly I forgot about Perkins who I think ends up back in that role next year.

You're not getting it.

I see Miers and Moore as your traditional half forwards, like Monfries was. Small forwards are more the Walla, Stengle types who play deeper.

Admittedly I forgot about Perkins who I think ends up back in that role next year.
True, i think we may be on the same page here. I just want a marking type, you sound like a preference for a smaller running type

All good 👍

I get that. I think hes only a standard deviation more athletic than Szybowski was, but has so many more tools. Slightly more athletic than Tom Green as well. Whether hes reading it better or his strength is buying him time, hes not shy on having moments where he bursts out of a pack against more atheltic prospects so Im not too worried.

True, i think we may be on the same page here. I just want a marking type, you sound like a preference for a smaller running type

All good 👍
Not necessarily a running type. I want high impact type, like is able to average 2-2.5 goals and assists combined with 5+ other SI a game. Those two and Greene are the three best in the AFL currently is all haha

so you just give up even though we really need one ? makes sense.

At our pick I would think taj hotton or joe berry.
Hotton has elite speed, agility ,is terrific in the air and break lines which we lack.
He can play wing and as a linking high half forward.
There is of course an inherent risk in that he has injured his knee.
Joe Berry is a natural forward, nice kick, goal kicker, good in the air for size and applies defensive pressure.
Both these blokes walk into our side next year with kako and upgrade us in a position we are weak.
If we went tall, faull, Armstrong, shanahan and the whitlocks all will be there abouts.
Faull is a natural footballer who may lack a touch of athleticism
Armstrong is fast on the lead, likes a run and jump at the footy but lacks body strength and the ability to win one on one marking contests which require physical contact. He is a nice left foot kick.
Shanahan is reliant on his leading at present, not a strong contested marking threat, ok on the ground and general play. Beautiful kick.
The whitlocks can both mark, are tall and will need time to physically develop. I prefer Jack as a forward option over Matt.

I would probably go for hotton or berry with our first pick if available but if we went tall I think Armstrong would pair best with caddy long term and give us athletic talls who get us away from being too slow and unable to retain the ball inside forward 50.

Last edited:
I think I want to draft a KPF along with Kako and best available with our first

a draft of Langford, Kako, Sims would be great
I don’t want the best available if it’s a 180cm inside mix with average skills. I really hope we do what a lot of clubs do and take what we need in the first round. Someone like Travaliga who fits a need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back