Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

At our pick I would think taj hotton or joe berry.
Hotton has elite speed, agility ,is terrific in the air and break lines which we lack.
He can play wing and as a linking high half forward.
There is of course an inherent risk in that he has injured his knee.
Joe Berry is a natural forward, nice kick, goal kicker, good in the air for size and applies defensive pressure.
Both these blokes walk into our side next year with kako and upgrade us in a position we are weak.
If we went tall, faull, Armstrong, shanahan and the whitlocks all will be there abouts.
Faull is a natural footballer who may lack a touch of athleticism
Armstrong is fast on the lead, likes a run and jump at the footy but lacks body strength and the ability to win one on one marking contests which require physical contact. He is a nice left foot kick.
Shanahan is reliant on his leading at present, not a strong contested marking threat, ok on the ground and general play. Beautiful kick.
The whitlocks can both mark, are tall and will need time to physically develop. I prefer Jack as a forward option over Matt.

I would probably go for hotton or berry with our first pick if available but if we went tall I think Armstrong would pair best with caddy long term and give us athletic talls who get us away from being too slow and unable to retain the ball inside forward 50.
I know Shanahan is highly rated by the VFL staff, they're keen to keep him for the last two.

This is the draft/trade period to get creative. We've gotten a top 15ish small fwd (HUGE need) land in our lap, as well as the final opportunity to use a whole bunch of useless junk picks to match a first round bid. We've got some potentially expendable depth to use as trade bait (Hobbs? Shiel?). We should absolutely be trying to package up our assets to move into the top 4 or 5 and nab a proper elite young talent, as well as bank a bunch of useless picks in 60s and 70s to match a Kako bid. Be that a combo of players and our first and later picks this year or even bringing in next years' picks, we need to make this happen.

Blind Freddy can see that we need serious A Grade elite talent that we seem to keep missing out on because they tend to sit in the top 5 or so picks (for the most part). And with Tassie coming in we're running out of opportunities to get them in. It really hasn't been the Essendon way to make these kinds of bold moves, but maybe the move to get Caddy last draft signals a change in tact/strategy.

This is the draft/trade period to get creative. We've gotten a top 15ish small fwd (HUGE need) land in our lap, as well as the final opportunity to use a whole bunch of useless junk picks to match a first round bid. We've got some potentially expendable depth to use as trade bait (Hobbs? Shiel?). We should absolutely be trying to package up our assets to move into the top 4 or 5 and nab a proper elite young talent, as well as bank a bunch of useless picks in 60s and 70s to match a Kako bid. Be that a combo of players and our first and later picks this year or even bringing in next years' picks, we need to make this happen.

Blind Freddy can see that we need serious A Grade elite talent that we seem to keep missing out on because they tend to sit in the top 5 or so picks (for the most part). And with Tassie coming in we're running out of opportunities to get them in. It really hasn't been the Essendon way to make these kinds of bold moves, but maybe the move to get Caddy last draft signals a change in tact/strategy.
This isn't the draft to trade up though. It's not like 2022 where you have a clear cut top 5 all year, you can throw a blanket over the top 15-20.

This isn't the draft to trade up though. It's not like 2022 where you have a clear cut top 5 all year, you can throw a blanket over the top 15-20.
Interesting. I'd still say we should be targeting the top elite talent/player that we need and making sure we get him. We likely have to trade up to ensure we're ahead of any Kako bid anyway wouldn't we? I think while our list is still middling-to-average, we're at the point where we need to fill specific weaknesses. The usual Essendon approach of 'we'll just sit where we are and take best available that's left for us' isn't a smart strategy this year

Interesting. I'd still say we should be targeting the top elite talent/player that we need and making sure we get him. We likely have to trade up to ensure we're ahead of any Kako bid anyway wouldn't we? I think while our list is still middling-to-average, we're at the point where we need to fill specific weaknesses. The usual Essendon approach of 'we'll just sit where we are and take best available that's left for us' isn't a smart strategy this year
Eh. Depends where we finish up. If outside finals then unlikely.

I'm not really a fan of just taking the best available blindly either. Joe Berry and Taj Hotton are the two I'm most interested in.

Maybe not. it will be line ball but there are a lot of blokes in contention for pick 1 that I doubt will slide so it could be close. They will need some sort of plan for sure. From what is being said clubs are trying to get into this years top 10 . May also depend on what the Tigers end up with if Bolton and Baker go .

So who are the 6-8 players who get cut.

That’s a pretty deep list turnover
Weideman, Shiel (T), Stringer (T), Hunter, Baldwin, Heppell, Goldy, Kelly, Hind, Tex, McGrath (T), Hobbs (T), Setterfield

Pick your 6-8 from that lot, some have some trade value if we wanted to go down that route.

So who are the 6-8 players who get cut.

That’s a pretty deep list turnover

Not just ‘cut’ - there’s possible trades and retirements too -

Possible trades: Shiel, Bryan (guessing only one of he or Goldy is at the club next year)

Possible retirements: Heppell, Goldy

Possible delistings: Tex, Baldwin, Hunter, Weid, El-Hawli, J Davey

Does Hobbs ask for a move?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just ‘cut’ - there’s possible trades and retirements too -

Possible trades: Shiel, Bryan (guessing only one of he or Goldy is at the club next year)

Possible retirements: Heppell, Goldy

Possible delistings: Tex, Baldwin, Hunter, Weid, El-Hawli, J Davey

Does Hobbs ask for a move?
They may both be . Not a lot in the pool to replace Goldy as a backup and I think the will hold onto Bryan for the same reason . There are not a lot of rucks out there and we do not want to spend the draft capital to get one.

Not sure Hobbs will be going . From what I hear he is pretty invested . Clubs will be asking for sure.

Hynes is a good 5 metre player which means if the ball is within his vicinity he is competitive however he is athletically challenged for mine and don’t think he has the running capabilities to be effective next level.
The problem is most afl players are very good 5 metre players but have other strings to their bows.
Nick cox is one player you could argue is a below par 5 metre player especially when the ball hits the ground.
What would hynes, position be at afl level?
Early developers who play predominantly forward of the ball are some of the hardest to evaluate I reckon

Id be really tempted to make a play at Smillie. I'd put our first and a second round on the table every pick until he is gone. Put an end to the lack of big bodied midfield for a decade.

Id be really tempted to make a play at Smillie. I'd put our first and a second round on the table every pick until he is gone. Put an end to the lack of big bodied midfield for a decade.
The problem is you need points for kako.
Smillie is tough to evaluate. His form has been patchy and you are committing to what he could become rather than his body of work especially this year.
Were you not concerned by his struggles with the faster pace of the nationals?

Smillie is tough to evaluate. His form has been patchy and you are committing to what he could become rather than his body of work especially this year.
Is there a big bodied mid with elite foot skills in this draft?

I'm not concerned, if he has a slightly better carnival, he'd be completely out of our reach. He was great against Footscrays VFL team (2nd on the VFL ladder currently) for the Academy earlier in the year so we know how he goes against men. I like the prospect he his, even being a little off his game he had 8 clearances in the champs decider. Hard to get too prolific with Jagga Smith stealing so much ball at the feet. I think he balances out what we have we Durham and Caldwell. I wouldn't like an O'Sullivan or Smith though, they don't really change the dynamic of what we have now. He might not come off, but he's the best chance at pulling a dominant star type here.

Future second trade in for late points should be fine considering the points system doesn't change much and we get the discount. A little deficit shouldn't hurt either.

I thought that might be the answer 🙄

Okay, in order of preference eDPS, how do you rank Langford, Lalor and Smillie?
Smillie
Langford
Lalor

Still plenty of time for that to change, Lalor could leapfrog the lot with a strong midfield showing once he is back with Rebels

I’m still unsure if Langford becomes a stoppage player or wingman/half forward at the next level

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back