Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we need to get up the board ahead of Freos (Collingwood's) pick.

They are the likely ones to bid on Kako.
Good chance that pick goes to Richmond for Balta. Or they try to split the pick

Can we fleece Collingwood for their 2025 first? They're desperate for capable midfielders to support Daicos and they're not exactly the brighest when it comes to trading future firsts.

Good chance that pick goes to Richmond for Balta. Or they try to split the pick
Problem with that is now Richmond will want Kako after losing Bolton.

I really hope we are looking at Key forwards who will fit in with Caddy. Time to build around him and get a tall that’s complement him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope we are looking at Key forwards who will fit in with Caddy. Time to build around him and get a tall that’s complement him.
Yes we do. Need another KPF almost as much as we need to fix the small forward problem.

You would think our strategy would have to include leaving at least two list spots open over summer for SSP selection . Not real point taking too many picks past 60 . For me it would make more sense to have 4 or 5 train over summer to get a look at them.

You would think our strategy would have to include leaving at least two list spots open over summer for SSP selection . Not real point taking too many picks past 60 . For me it would make more sense to have 4 or 5 train over summer to get a look at them.
You would hope so, we've had a bit of success with that avenue

I had thought about Kako and Berry, but Oscar Smartt was pretty good earlier in the season, wasn't he? Would he be an upgrade on Menzie who we could cope with to land a Lalor or Langford or Lindsay?

we really have backed ourselves into a corner with regards to draft picks. we go 1st (rounder), 2nd then 5th. Logically that looks like a top 4 draft haul. We're not even making finals with that haul.

Logically speaking we will have;

1st
Kako
2nd

Rookie pick 1
Rookie pick 2

SSP 1
SSP 2

I think that is what our lis overhaul looks like (probably forgetting someone

we really have backed ourselves into a corner with regards to draft picks. we go 1st (rounder), 2nd then 5th. Logically that looks like a top 4 draft haul. We're not even making finals with that haul.

Logically speaking we will have;

1st
Kako
2nd

Rookie pick 1
Rookie pick 2

SSP 1
SSP 2

I think that is what our lis overhaul looks like (probably forgetting someone
Won't Kako use up our 2nd round pick?

yeah, was pointing out this is what our current hand looks like. I have asked this question, should a 10 - 15 bid come for Kako where would our second pick fall
probably pushes out into the third round, at that point the order doesn't really matter because it's a crapshoot

I'm firmly in the camp of trading in an additional first rounder, even if that's our own pick from next year.

It's like tax refunds in a way, better we get the money now and invest it in a year of development then hold it for the year.

Granted, we need to pick wisely and develop properly, but especially with the ability to trade two years in the future coming in, its better to start doing this ahead of Tassie compromising the drafts and 2027 can be the year we reset our draft standing knowing we'll likely have Bewick as a high pick amongst the flurry of Tassie picks.

Last edited:
I'm firmly in the camp of trading in an additional first rounder, even if that's our own pick from next year.

It's like tax refunds in a way, better we get the money now and invest it in a year of development then hold it for the year.

Granted, we need to pick wisely and develop properly, but especially with the ability to trade two years in the future coming in, its better to start doing this ahead of Tassie compromising the drafts an 2027 can be the year we reset our draft standing knowing we'll likely have Bewick as a high pick amongst the flurry of Tasie picks.
Problem will be it looks like most clubs want to do the same .

Granted, we need to pick wisely and develop properly, but especially with the ability to trade two years in the future coming in, its better to start doing this ahead of Tassie compromising the drafts an 2027 can be the year we reset our draft standing knowing we'll likely have Bewick as a high pick amongst the flurry of Tasie picks.
I share this view. I think we might as well take a close look at the list and anyone with some trade value who doesn't look like contributing to the culture Scott is trying to build gets shopped around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back