Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we have to learn from collingwood and trade out a gun for another good pick or two.
Collingwood did it for salary cap concerns while we would do it for list balance.
The players who may have some currency that we could afford to lose are Darcy parish or Ben Hobbs, Archie Perkins and that’s about the only high end potential players.
Stringer, wright, cox would be about just moving on with players and freeing up list spots.
I would ask the question of Harley Reid to do a Horne Francis.
This year and next years first rounders plus Nick Martin would be a minimum.
We need a star.
Caddy the only potential one we have and premiership teams have at least on superstar. We have none.

I haven't seen a lot of the kids this year.

Is Kako ACTUALLY worth the hype?

A few years ago people where hyping Munkara and for a while was a potential top 20 pick , and then he wasn't even VFL standard.

A few years ago people where hyping Munkara and for a while was a potential top 20 pick , and then he wasn't even VFL standard.
By this stage of Munkaras draft year there were question marks as to whether he’d even be drafted.

Kako should go top 20.

I think we have to learn from collingwood and trade out a gun for another good pick or two.
Collingwood did it for salary cap concerns while we would do it for list balance.
The players who may have some currency that we could afford to lose are Darcy parish or Ben Hobbs, Archie Perkins and that’s about the only high end potential players.
Stringer, wright, cox would be about just moving on with players and freeing up list spots.
I would ask the question of Harley Reid to do a Horne Francis.
This year and next years first rounders plus Nick Martin would be a minimum.
We need a star.
Caddy the only potential one we have and premiership teams have at least on superstar. We have none.
We are in no position to be trading out Martin. Martin is one of the few untouchables at our club.

Not anyone who had actually watched him play during the year .

A few of the rabble in the cheap seats were hyping him up

We are in no position to be trading out Martin. Martin is one of the few untouchables at our club.
Martin is an above average AFL player but we need some stars.
Harley Reid is a future super star.
Give him and caddy the chance to be dusty and reiwoldt.
I actually hate the way the club is using Martin and I think he lacks physicality.

Martin is an above average AFL player but we need some stars.
Harley Reid is a future super star.
Give him and caddy the chance to be dusty and reiwoldt.
I actually hate the way the club is using Martin and I think he lacks physicality.
Agree with this.
I would trade him to get Reid but I tend to not put much thought into it as until it comes up I am not overly interested.

My ideal draft would be Kako, Travaglia and Shanahan. Everything about Travaglia - elite runner, good kick, interceptor, similar to Will Day - just screams need for us.

Could line up in Round 1 2025:

McGrath - McKay - Ridley
Redman - Reid/Hayes - Travaglia
Duursma - Caldwell - Martin
Perkins/Gresham - Caddy - Langford
Kako - Wright - Guelfi
Draper - Parish - Merrett
Bryan - Jones - Durham - Roberts - Tsatas

This gives us three genuine talls in defense with Rids floating around to assist. Redman and Travaglia to provide the run off HB with Duurs and Martin on the wings. The forward line is far from perfect but the two smalls in Kako and Guelfi should make it more balanced.

Not sold on the two rucks at this stage.

Stringer, Cox, Hobbs, Laverde, Menzie and Shiel are all expendable imo

I think this highlights how imbalanced our list is. If I was Scott I’d be suggesting some of the above group of players start shopping themselves around.

My ideal draft would be Kako, Travaglia and Shanahan. Everything about Travaglia - elite runner, good kick, interceptor, similar to Will Day - just screams need for us.

Could line up in Round 1 2025:

McGrath - McKay - Ridley
Redman - Reid/Hayes - Travaglia
Duursma - Caldwell - Martin
Perkins/Gresham - Caddy - Langford
Kako - Wright - Guelfi
Draper - Parish - Merrett
Bryan - Jones - Durham - Roberts - Tsatas

This gives us three genuine talls in defense with Rids floating around to assist. Redman and Travaglia to provide the run off HB with Duurs and Martin on the wings. The forward line is far from perfect but the two smalls in Kako and Guelfi should make it more balanced.

Not sold on the two rucks at this stage.

Stringer, Cox, Hobbs, Laverde, Menzie and Shiel are all expendable imo

I think this highlights how imbalanced our list is. If I was Scott I’d be suggesting some of the above group of players start shopping themselves around.
There is no way we could get those three I reckon.
I also think you overate Tobie’s kick.
I think it is a question mark over his game.
I like his run and he does compete though.

Who would you rate as the best kick of the draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure if this was answered already ydc55 but why is Archer Day-Wicks rated in the 2nd-3rd rounds? Sounds like a real power athlete. Assuming consistency, tank, maybe overall impact and his prospects land more on what he could be than what he is doing sound spot on? Everything you read screams top 20 - 25 but some have him outside the top 40.

TBH I have no idea what Shanahan’s likely range is. I’d expect we’d get in a pick before a Kako bid and maybe work out a trade with Richmond for future picks for points this year (given they have heaps of mid range picks).

That means we could land 3 picks within the top 30ish which would be a very nice haul.

Would definitely be pleased with Berry too, small pacey forwards are the way to go.

Im not sure if this was answered already ydc55 but why is Archer Day-Wicks rated in the 2nd-3rd rounds? Sounds like a real power athlete. Assuming consistency, tank, maybe overall impact and his prospects land more on what he could be than what he is doing sound spot on? Everything you read screams top 20 - 25 but some have him outside the top 40.
Archie is a little like Oskar smart. He has high end ability but lacks a fair bit of consistency in his game. I think he projects as a forward but applying defensive pressure is so important now and Archie does not always do this with effort.
Remember Kyle Reiner’s had all the tools to be a very good player except his game was not well rounded, and off field stuff, and he did not last.
I liked Archie’s game against metro.

Archie is a little like Oskar smart. He has high end ability but lacks a fair bit of consistency in his game. I think he projects as a forward but applying defensive pressure is so important now and Archie does not always do this with effort.
Remember Kyle Reiner’s had all the tools to be a very good player except his game was not well rounded, and off field stuff, and he did not last.
I liked Archie’s game against metro.
I love it whenever someone brings up kyle reimers

A second impressive VFL game in a row for Shanahan. He was quiet through the first half, but really got motoring in the third quarter taking a few impressive contested grabs and kicking a goal. The contested marking in particular was a welcome sight given that has at times been questioned. If he carries this form over to close out the Talent League season Shanahan could really start to move up draft boards.

I love it whenever someone brings up kyle reimers
makes sense why someone like Kyle didn't survive at Essendon yet a bloke like Jack Darling plays 200 games, premiership, club b&f (?).

Our culture is that shit we cant content any one with a sceric of outwardness.. I mean, I saw Jayden Laverde has a leg tat and was blown away by it. How many of our players have tattoos visible?

makes sense why someone like Kyle didn't survive at Essendon yet a bloke like Jack Darling plays 200 games, premiership, club b&f (?).

Our culture is that shit we cant content any one with a sceric of outwardness.. I mean, I saw Jayden Laverde has a leg tat and was blown away by it. How many of our players have tattoos visible?
He didn’t survive because he wasn’t good enough. It had nothing to do with his shitty tatts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back